getting from LAX to westwood

Sep 10th, 2019, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

getting from LAX to westwood

I have not been to LA for quite some time. I will be flying in a friday afternoon. Can i take a train from LAX to somewhere around Westwood?
Sep 11th, 2019, 06:41 AM

It isn't really very easy to do that by train The closest line these days is the new expo line but it is pretty far south. I think the best option is the flyaway bus:

STOP LOCATIONS

LAX-All FlyAway buses drop off passengers on the Upper/Departures Level at each terminal. Passengers board buses on the Lower/Arrivals Level curbside in front of each terminal under the green "FlyAway, Buses and Long Distance Vans" sign

WESTWOOD -At the intersection of Strathmore Place and Gayley Drive

SCHEDULE
WESTWOOD TO LAX LAX TO WESTWOOD
8 a.m. – 8 p.m. (Leaves Westwood at the top of the hour) 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. (Leaves Terminal 1 at the top of the hour, picking up at each terminal in order)

https://www.transportation.ucla.edu/...ptions/flyaway

Otherwise looking at google there are a couple of bus alternatives that could work and will take around 1h45. One takes you on the Greenline Shuttle to the Aviation/LAX Station where you catch a number 6 UCLA-Westwood bus and ride for an hour. If you go to google maps it lets you play around with "less walking" "use train".
Sep 11th, 2019, 07:14 AM

Well, sad to say the Flyaway from Westwood Village ended June 30th due to low ridership.

https://www.latimes.com/travel/la-tr-travel-lax-flyaway-bus-ends-westwood-service-20190611-story.html

No train service (yet), but it is in the works with the purple line extension

The closest you'll get to bus service is Culver City (Green buses) Line 6 that goes from the LAX City Bus Center (think it may be at the Green Line station, but not sure, google it) right into Westwood, going along Sepulveda. Will take between 45 minutes and an hour. I had a client take this bus from the airport to our office and back to the airport, and she said it was an easy ride.

Even though uber/lyft now pick up at the airport, if I can't get a lift home from LAX (and I live in the Westwood area), I take a cab. While I am sure uber/lyft drivers can, for the most part, handle airport traffic, I feel more comfortable getting in a licensed Taxi where they are (again for the most part) very familiar with navigating LAX. Cost is about $40, inclusive of luggage.

Just a note on LAX traffic -- I got my license 50 years ago right here in LA, and I can't tell you how many times I've schlepped to and from LAX dropping people off or picking them up. I've been through all of the LAX changes, the two levels, the new mazes to get in and out, and around and back in again. Did it just last week, in fact, and consider myself somewhat of an expert at it, using a combo of offensive and defensive driving. Navigating LAX to drop off and pick up passengers is not, as my mom used to say, for sissies. My son had to drop us off at LAX once, and he's still recovering from that!
Sep 11th, 2019, 09:09 AM

Oh no-seriously! I loved the flyaway. But thanks for the heads up.

Meanwhile here is a bus alternative from google maps

LAX
Los Angeles, CA 90045
Walk

About 1 min , 82 ft

G Shuttle Stop at Terminal 5 Lower Level

Take Greenline ShuttleG Shuttle to Metro Green Line
10 min (3 stops) to Aviation/LAX Station

Bus 6 UCLA-Westwood Rapid
Sep 14th, 2019, 04:58 AM

Supershuttle or Lyft/Uber works for door to door.

I think using public transit is just too many transfers.

Too bad about losing your Flyaway. One would think that the students would use it, but I guess they're all into Uber these days.
Sep 14th, 2019, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Surfergirl View Post
Just a note on LAX traffic -- I got my license 50 years ago right here in LA, and I can't tell you how many times I've schlepped to and from LAX dropping people off or picking them up. I've been through all of the LAX changes, the two levels, the new mazes to get in and out, and around and back in again. Did it just last week, in fact, and consider myself somewhat of an expert at it, using a combo of offensive and defensive driving. Navigating LAX to drop off and pick up passengers is not, as my mom used to say, for sissies. My son had to drop us off at LAX once, and he's still recovering from that!

For this reason, I always check prices for flights to Burbank and Orange County. Obviously doesn't work for international flights.

Sep 14th, 2019, 06:26 AM

Not that I want to encourage more flights, but there's also LGB