Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Getting a cab near Davis Sq. Somerville (metro Boston)

Old Mar 18th, 2005, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be staying at the Morrison House B&B and I am starting to think that even though it is relatively a short distance, I do not want to walk there from the Davis Sq. T with all my luggage. (Nor do I want to spend $$$ hiring a taxi all the way from the airport.)

How can I get a taxi from Davis Sq. T stop? Will there be a taxi stand outside? (Probably not...)

Any advice?
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 08:17 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The website says it's 2 blocks from the Davis T.http://www.morrisonhousebnb.com/maps.htm
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 10:32 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I have seen the website (many times) I KNOW it is 2 blocks...

MY QUESTION WAS:

How can I get a taxi from Davis Sq. T stop? Will there be a taxi stand outside? (Probably not...)

Any advice?

(Sorry, hope I don't seem rude)

I will be coming from Toronto (the first leg of my 21/2 week vacation. 2 blocks seem like a long way when you

1. Have luggage (which will probably be heavier than when I left from home a week earlier

2. Have fibromyalgia (I never know how I am going to feel)/ and still recovering from surgery

3. Really don't know my way around

I plan on doing a lot of walking on my vacation, so I don't want to get to run down getting to my B&B ... I may feel good enough to make it on foot once I get there, but I want to keep my options open.

(Whew, I'm overtired - I was feeling a tad defensive. Sorry)
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 10:42 PM
Original Poster

AHHH,

Never mind ... I am pretty sure I can manage 2 blocks with only 1 turn!! According to the map, they look like short blocks! (Here in Atlanta, we have some really long blocks!!)

I think if I did try to get a taxi to take me 2 blocks, he might think I am an idiot.

Old Mar 19th, 2005, 03:38 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Maybe if you call the B&B they wouldn't mind picking you up at the T if you explain you have fibromyalgia. I have stayed in Somerville/Medford area before but I had a car. They could also tell you whether the blocks are really short are not because maps are sometimes deceptive.
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 03:43 AM
Cassandra

Also, a lot depends on which exit you take when leaving the T. You can end up 4 blocks away easily, and unless you know the area well, it may not be obvious which exit is the one you want until you emerge above ground.

Old Mar 19th, 2005, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

No, I DEFINITELY don't want to end up lugging a suitcase around for 4 BLOCKS !!

I mean, I know I am going to be walking everywhere once I get there (and I definitely will be taking that 2 block trip from the B&B that night...) I just thought it might be a little hard for me with luggage etc. (and I don't want to get to worn out too fast)

Thanks for understanding. ... I will email the B&B and see what they suggest. (That was a good idea)

Old Mar 19th, 2005, 09:22 AM

There is a cab stand right outside Davis Square MBTA stop - whether or not there will be a cab actually there is anyones guess.

Some of the blocks in that area are incredibly short blocks - but while admitting I know nothing about this particular lodging, I have found most lodging under-represents distance from public transportation.

While Boston (no idea about Somerville) taxis are required to take you anyplace you will pay to go, I imagine a cab driver would not be thrilled to drive you 2 blocks.