Reload this Page >

Georgia Coast.....any ideas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 1998, 10:21 PM
Harold M

I'm going to the Georgia Coast in a week for a few days and I'm clueless as to where to spend the time. We are in our mid-30's and will be going to the coast for relaxation. Our requirements are few....mostly we want a beach were we can relax both during the day and in the evening.....and be within a 2 hour drive from Savannah.

Thanks in advance for you help and advice.

Old Jun 11th, 1998, 12:38 PM
PollY

I can't give you specific information, but Georgia's best beaches are in the Brunswick Area. St. Simons Island, Sea Island, and Jeckyll Island are probably where you want to be. The problem is, where on either of those islands. It has been a long time since I was a child and used to romp around those beaches on the week-end and my values are different now than they were then. Do a web search of these areas. I don't know what your budget is. Sea Island has a wonderful resort (pricey) called The Cloisters. If I find a web-site with any specific information,I will get back to you, but this should get you started.

Old Jun 11th, 1998, 03:12 PM
Karl

The Southern States have a lot to offer. In terms of Georgia and the beaches, I suggest you go with your closest sibling, find a comfortable place on the beach, then have sex. With some luck you'll have joined the Southern in-breeding culture which is so rampant down there. Afterwards, go straight to hell!

Old Jun 11th, 1998, 05:28 PM
Donna

We went to Jekyll Island GA and it was wonderful. We stayed at the hotel that was once considered "the Millionaires Club" Very reasonable rates we were there in April. Not too commercialized and quiet. Lots of walking/biking trails. Enjoy!

Old Jun 12th, 1998, 11:46 AM
Lynda Lamb

We love St. Simons Island. If you like historical novels, the island will come alive for you if you read Eugenia Price's "Lighthouse" "Beloved Invader" and the more recent trilogy which included "Beauty from Ashes"(but you want to read the first 2 in that trilogy, not "Beauty for Ashes"). All of these are readily available in any of the bookstores on the island. If you read these books, you can have a great time finding the characters' gravestones in Christ Church cemetary. There is a great bike path around most of the island. When we go, we rent for a week at the Beach Club.

Old Jun 12th, 1998, 08:34 PM
Polly

The Jeckyl Island hotel mentioned above is a Renaissance...a converted summer "cottage" to the likes of the Vanderbilts and Carnegies. The grounds are beautiful...don't personally know about the accommodatioons, but Renaissance does have a good reputation. Look them up on the 'net. This resort, however, is not ON the beach, though it might have its own private manmade beach. It is on the sound side of the island and the beaches, generally are on the other side. Have fun. This was a very good recommendation.

Old Jun 13th, 1998, 05:14 AM
Carole

I am another big fan of St. Simons Island. We stayed at the King & Prince Resort, which is right on the beach. The rooms are nothing great, but it is one of the few hotels that is on the beach, and that is where I like to be. There are several good restaurants on the island, too. I like St. Simons because to me it feels more like a small town rather than a complete tourist destination. Another place you might think about is Amelia Island, which is right over the state line in Florida, right outside Jacksonville. I haven't been, but I have heard wonderful things about it. Enjoy wherever you decide!

Old Jul 8th, 1999, 06:24 AM
Sandy

Karl,

You must be some sort of freak! Take your extra time and go get some help...do us all a favor and stay of this site!

Old Jul 9th, 1999, 06:14 AM
Bob Brown

Hi Harold. I think your best beach opportunity along the Georgia Coast is at either St. Simons Island (small towns are called Sea Island and St. Simons Island) or Jekyll Island.
Both are commercial, but you do have expansive sand areas to enjoy. Much of the Georgia coast is protected by barrier islands such as Sapelo, which are restricted access. The beach east of Savannah is near the Tybee Lighthouse. We were recently there. Lodging is expensive and the beach parking facilities are expensive.
I personally think Jekyll Island has the best beach, but in season motel prices are steep.