General question re: different areas in Florida

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 10:28 PM
David

Never been to Florida.
Someone on this board wrote that Naples is the "Beverly Hills" of Florida.
Any other associations / generalizations ?
We'd like to get an idea what is what and where,etc. before our trips.
Thanks.

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 03:23 AM
Carol

I agree with who ever told you that Naples is extremely upscale, but I have found that there are many more upscale places Boca Raton for instance has beautiful shops, older homes on the ocean etc. More old money than new money in Naples.
Jupiter is another up and coming place too. Stuart Florida is another up and coming beautiful place.

I would have to say in my opinion that Boca is the Beverly Hills of Florida. The shopping is to die for. Ocean on one side ~~~~intercostal on the other.

If you are looking for upscale and wealthy -

Boca
West Palm
Naples
Stuart
Coral Springs
Anna Maria Island has beautiful homes too

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 06:03 AM
Carol

I live in Coral Springs. While it's a lovely place to live, it's not exactly a hot spot, and I wouldn't particularly go out of my way to see it if I was a tourist.

Naples is a lovely place (only an hour away from Coral Springs if you take Alligator Alley) but I think of it as more upscale-quaint, rather than upscale-chic, from other places in Florida.

If you're looking for what I consider the "Beverly Hills" of Florida, I think a trip to Worth Avenue in Palm Beach is a must. Then take a drive along the ocean and see some of the most beautiful homes. Check it out at www.worth-avenue.com

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 06:18 AM
a

Jupiter Island is kind of like the Aspen of Florida.

House prices are some of (if not) the highest in the country. Island is small, most people are in the club. No town to speak of. Not really a tourist destination because there isn't too much available for them to do. Drive down the road and look at the names of the owners of the houses and you'll see a never ending list of brand names and CEOs.

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 09:32 AM
Carol

David, I read over you question again. You mentioned "Beverly Hills". Beverly Hills to me are fast cars, Rodeo Drive, Movie Stars, Plastic People with tons of money to nothing with. Face lifts, breast implants, beautiful homes - You will not find that in Naples. The women in Naples go to Boca for their face lifts. Have fun searching. I am courious as to what kind of imput you will get. We are looking to buy a place in Florida, so I am anxious.

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 09:35 AM
Verna

Vero Beach is a great place in Florida. Located on the east coast, not far from West Palm, Orlando, Miami--on the ocean, close enough to larger areas, Vero is a lovely town, lots of money people, low-key, yet many activities to keep busy, and not too crowded, like many Florida spots.

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 09:36 AM
MB

Carol, Ever think about buying a livaboard boat? When dh retires we are thinking of buying a trawler type boat and living on it. All the conveniences of home, and when we want to go somewhere we just pull up anchor...

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 01:46 PM
Larry

I've spent many a weekend in Stuart and while I think it is a great town, I hardly think of it as "upscale". MAYBE Jensen Beach, but not Stuart (unless Carol considers trailer homes "upscale"?

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 10:00 PM
David

Thanks everyone ! Your ideas really help. Keep them coming !

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 05:44 AM
Frank

I've heard some call Destin, FL. the "Redneck Riviera."

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 06:22 AM
Stephanie P.

David:

The back road from Ft. L to Palm Beach is filled with yachts and mansions.

You have to visit Art Deco Miami area. It is so pretty along with going by the Port of Miami and seeing cruise ships. Miami is only 60 miles from Key Largo, so maybe a trip down Route 1 would be fun for you, I loved it. Orlando is so overpopulated w/little kids and tourists. I'd avoid the place like the plague.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 07:14 AM
jason

Panama City Beach is the Redneck Riviera, as well as Gulf Shores/Orange Beach, AL. It skips over Destin, which is becoming a very upscale destination. Go to Homestore.com and do a real estate search for Destin. There are scores of million dollar properties.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 08:32 AM
ggg

I can only assume what the term "REDNECK RIVIERA" means, so could some one please give a discription of that term. Thanks

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 08:48 AM
Frank

Triple g: It's where rednecks/hillbillies go on vacation. It's their version of the French Riviera.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 10:47 AM
ggg

Is it safe for someone who's not a redneck/hillbilly? (minority)

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 11:28 AM
'Bama BillyBob

Hell yes, it's safe!! We're on vacation - we 'haint gonna cause no trubble.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 12:08 PM
Carol

To MB:

Funny you should mention a live on board. We currently have a 40 Sea Ray Sedan Bridge and we live on it in the summer. We have considered doing this in Florida, but until we are both fully retired bringing it to Florida from NY will cost us an arm and a leg. WE have been told that once you have a home and bigger boat in Florida, the boat never gets used. A trawler has been considered.

To Larry - I realized that Stuart has trailers, but I see the potentials there to be another Jupiter. Right now its a diamond in the rough.

I am enjoying these suggestions too. Less than four years and we will be snow birds there.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 06:22 PM
Patrick

I am a bit amused at the description fo Naples being new money and Boca Raton old money. I always thought it was just the opposite. In the 1950's Naples had the highest percentage of millionaires of any community in the US. There have been many famous celebrities and well known billionaires here for years, but the difference is, that it is rarely publicized. When basketball star Larry Byrd bought a home here a number of years ago, the realtor leaked the story to the newspaper and was actually fired for doing so. (Not that this is an example of "old" money). Obviously as the second fastest growing city in the US (just behind Las Vegas) there is much new money as well, but Naples has always been known for its residents being less showy than their East coast counterparts.
Also quite a few years ago Naples' 3rd Avenue South took over from Palm Beach's Worth Avenue as "the most expensive retail shop rentals in the state."
These statements are not meant to impress, and I'm not sure that they are necessarily "positive" factors in assessing a community, but they are facts, nonetheless. And the comparison to Beverly Hills seems totally out of whack. Beverly Hills prides itself on being over the top and showy. Naples prides itself on being conservatively expensive.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 06:47 PM
Kristin

Hey, I'll take nice, quiet, Hobe Sound/Stuart over Jupiter any day, trailers and all! I hardly consider overcrowded, overdeveloped Jupiter a diamond any more. Just my 2 cents.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 11:23 PM
Ted

Actually, Beverly Hills and Palm Beach are more like "sister" cities, in their ambience, architecture, glamour, stores (Worth Ave. and Rodeo Drive could be twins) etc., with the exception that Palm Beach is on the water while Beverly Hills is not. Also, Palm Beach has more of a conservative, old money atmosphere about it while Beverly Hills has the "showbiz" ambience and is much more upscale "hip." As for WEST Palm Beach (a BIG difference), most of it is quite unappealing and some of it is downright disgusting looking!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -