Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Geez, I ask, what are your plans for this long weekend?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

29 years ago (yes, I am THAT old!)I was in labor on Labor Day! My firstborn was born on September 5, 1976. So a dinner is up.

A medicinal herb exhibit is on now at the Conservatory, Golden Gate Park, San Francisco.

"Free Shakespeare in the park" annual festival is in the Presidio this year.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 01:14 PM

I am doing some work which I didn't get done all week because I have been glued to the television and internet coverage of the tragedy. It is supposed to be gorgeous here in Northwest North Carolina this weekend so I will get out for a walk with the dogs and maybe a bike ride with the DH. Best wishes to all of you for a safe holiday. My prayers and heart are with all who are suffering from the tragedy.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 01:16 PM

Ha, Faina ! The R5's are off to St. Louis for a few Cardinal games and belated celebration(s) of MrR5's b'day.
Congrats on YOUR special b'day celebration !

R5
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 01:18 PM
stjohnbound

I'm going to start painting the house we just closed on today!!!

Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 01:18 PM

wow~! Happy Birthday, Faina.

Just sitting around enjoying the backyard and family!
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 01:26 PM

I have to work on Labor Day, but I will meet friends at When Pigs Fly (combination air show and BBQ contest) in McPherson, Kansas on Saturday.

Staying in south central Kansas, on Sunday I will attend AIRfest 11 in Argonia, Kansas. It is a four day amaturer rocketry event and has been featured on the Discovery Channel. This year's chalange is to break the current altitude record at Argoina of 29,950 feet. http://www.kloudbusters.org/airfest/airfest.html

Keith
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 01:30 PM

All plans cancelled. We've got 8000 of our co-workers spread out across the mess in LA, MS and AL. I'm helping staff an emergency hotline this weekend to help find them shelter, food and transportation. Just have better access to the logistics stuff from here.

Wow, what a situation. Hope our absent fodorites are ok and on their feet again as soon as possible.

Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 01:46 PM

Keith, wish I could figure out a way to get a Tshirt from "When Pigs Fly". Would love to have one!
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 01:48 PM

starrsville,

What size do you want and how much are you willing to pay including shipping? EMail me at [email protected]

Keith
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 02:46 PM

Tonight I'm picking my husband up at the Milwaukee airport, and we're driving to Madison to stay with a friend. Tomorrow we're going to the Badger game--Go Big Red!!

Sunday there are two special exhibits at the art museum that I want to see, and we're having dinner at friends.

Monday a group of us are going to Lake Geneva for a boat tour.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 03:20 PM

I was scheduled to go the the OSU cheerleader alumni party and to cheer the Buckeyes on at the game tomorrow.

I have a cold and a toothache so I'll be watching the action on tv and drinking beer at home instead of in the parking lot of French Fieldhouse and the Varsity Club.

To all you college football fanatics... LET THE GAMES BEGIN!
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 03:50 PM

Working all weekend.That includes Labor Day.

Congratulations, Faina on that special Bday.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 03:59 PM

Hi Faina,
I gave birth on Labor Day too - only 21 years ago yesterday. There will always be something rather poetic about giving birth on labor day...our dinner was tonight. He unfortunately, has decided to quit school - hope he figures it out. But in the scheme of life.....

I, too, am eagerly looking forward to football - am an FSU alum and would really like to end this tiresome streak with Miami.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 04:28 PM

As with most big holidays and the traffic that ensues-we will stay at home. We came back from Colorado-10 day vacation last Monday and leave for Cape Cod vacation next Friday--12 days. Hope gas prices are more sensible by then.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 04:33 PM

Faina, have you contacted the Guiness Book folks? I don't beleive they have documented this case of a woman giving birth at age two.
HBDTY
HBDTY
HBDDF
HBDTY
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 04:34 PM

Awww Faina, don't those birthdays just get ya?
Have a Happy Day!
Mine keep having bdays too, making me feel older and ...

We are still exploring our new home in Portland.
This weekend : The Portland Arts and Crafts Fair, in the Park Blocks,
The Farmers Market on Saturday..fresh flowers, fresh goat cheese and veggies from all the Organic farms in the area.
Tonight we are seeing 2046- a fab movie by the director Wang Kar-Wai who made In the Mood for Love..
Pup will stay home tonight but he is planning a Poodle Party next week at a park nearby ((&))

Stay safe and have a good weekend everyone..
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 05:13 PM
jetset1

Washing my SUV.
Leaving SUV parked in driveway.
Saving money from not driving the SUV and investing in wine, to be consumed over the long weekend! Hey, $60 can go a long way, I'm a lighweight,lol.
One more thing, maybe scaring the moose away from my new young trees with a couple "nearby" pings from my son's BB gun. I'll need to be stealthy, my next door neighbor is a friend, but also an undercover detective,lol. Happy Labor Day from Alaska!

Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 06:13 PM

Ohhh, I saw the previews for 2046, looks like a neat movie.

Faina, have a wonderful Labor Day.

My DH and I will head into NYC for a couple of nights to reconnect.

Have a safe weekend, everyone.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 06:17 PM

I'll be baking 17 dozen cookies and 7 cakes for a boy scout fundraiser!
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 06:49 PM

Hi Faina, don't admit to be old enough to have a son that is turning 29. Just tell everyone he is adopted, LOL!
Have a beatiful SF weekend.

To everyone taking off the the long weekend, safe and happy trips!

I am staying in town, haven't had my vehicle washed but just came back home from buying some wine.

Haven't quite decided anything in particular for this weekend except whatever I do I want it to serene and pleasant.

Wishing all of you the same! It has been a long week one way or another so may you do whatever is the most enjoyable for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -