Gatlinburg TN-BEST hotel to stay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HELP! Big city girl (who prefers luxury resorts)looking for the BEST hotel to stay in Gatlinburg, TN (near the action , if there is any?!?!?!). Planning to visit Dollywood. Thanks.....
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 08:35 PM

If you want to experience Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg, then stay in a really nice log cabin - they're all over the place, and many of them are quite luxurious. That's the only way to experience the Smoky Mountains!
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 10:49 PM

check www.tripadvisor.com for their rankings and reviews

My kids loved Dollywood when they were little - and I liked the size (smaller than Disney and other Florida parks) and cooler with less humidity.

A cabin rental would be a great alternative.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 04:59 AM
iceeu2

Gail....my favorite cabins are Oak Haven.... oakhavenresort.com

For luxury check out The Blackberry Farm in Walland, TN.

And, as starrsville said...check tripadvisor.com...good reviews.

There are also lots of B&B's if that's your thing.

Old Mar 16th, 2006, 05:23 AM

Now, Blackberry would be WONDERFUL! Mapquest says it is 29 miles and 50 minutes away. Of course, it is so wonderful you won't want to drive to Gatlinburg!
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 06:09 AM

I found this place when researching things in Gatlinburg last year. Didn't stay there, but it looked very tempting.
http://www.lodgeatbuckberrycreek.com/
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 03:31 PM

I'm a local and if you want the BEST place to stay, it is Blackberry Farm in Walland, TN, hands down. It wins travel awards from all the best travel mags. Very Pricey. If you want something a little less $ see mapleleaflodge.com (in Townsend, TN)- it was bought by the Blackberry farm owners and upgraded this past year - going to have a name change this spring. Be careful renting cabins in Pigeon Forge - some are upscale, some are nice and most are just tacky. Eat at the Foothills Milling Company - best food in the area. Have a good time.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 04:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the feedback. I did check into Blackberry Farm, and it does look gorgeous, but it's $900 a night!! Like Wow!! I think we might be better with just staying in a "chain" hotel or motel since we will only be staying 1 night. Are any of the Best Westerns or other chains in the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area decent? Just want it to be clean, in safe area, comfortable beds, no bugs or roaches, haha. Thanks!
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 04:48 AM

Wow! That's a big turnaround. From the BEST from someone who prefers luxury resorts to a chain motel with no bugs or roaches!

Have you checked out the tripadvisor reviews?

I'd probably stay in one of the Hampton Inns in Pigeon Forge - but I like Hilton points.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 05:22 AM

PForge is a strip of putt-putt, fast food, t-shirt shops. Don't forget your NASCAR shirts, wifebeater T's, get your mullet in shape and don't forget to show those tattoos! Ditto for Gatlinburg. Action? Well, you can visit Dollywood without having to stay right there. There are a host of dinner and show places, too i.e. Louise Mandrell.But as posted before, why would you want to stay in this beautiful place and see all that? We've been there several times to hike and always rent a secluded cabin with a hot tub. You can also rent a less secluded cabin if you want to be closer to town. Some of those hotels in downtown Gatlinburg are nasty. Here's a good company to use for rentals:
http://www.jacksonmountainhomes.com/
We've used them twice and they do a good job. BTW, traffic is horrible in both areas, best to come into Gatlinburg on the bypass from the west, not through the main Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg road.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

starrsville-I think I can "rough it" for a night without luxury, haha. I have been checking tripadvisor, aaa travel books, Fodors, Frommers, and really not coming up with anything that "hits me", but we are Hilton Members so maybe a Hampton Inn would work best.
Thanks again...
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 06:29 AM

Louise Mandrell puts on a GREAT show!

GailLK, there are two HI in Pigeon Forge. Usually the Hampton Inn and SUITES are the nicer ones (than the older, just plain Hampton Inns).

Have fun roughing it. G & PF are both tacky and redneck wedding destinations. But, they can be fun. I'm not much of a shopper but I know folks who go for the outlet mall shopping.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 10:04 AM
iceeu2

Forget seeing Louise Mandrell...She closed last season. Something else is in her theater now.

There are tons of hotels and cabins and they continue to build.

Go to pigeonforge.com
gatlinburg.com

There may even be links on the Dollywood website. You will like Dollywood. It's a fun amusement park.

Old Mar 17th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Ok, this is my last question regarding this, ( I PROMISE!). Which is better place to stay (no kids traveling with us): Best Western Zoder Inn or the BearSkin Lodge? Thank you...
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 12:14 PM

If you can get a cabin just for a night, I would seriously do that. Even the luxurious ones are pretty reasonable, and you usually get a hot tub, pool table, etc. I think the majority (if not all) of the hotels in the area are geared toward folks on a budget.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 02:21 PM

My brothers' families have stayed at a place in Pigeon Forge several times - Music Road Hotel and Music Road Inn & Suites. Good location and nice accommodations. All the major hotel chains have places available in the area.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 02:24 PM

Forgot to give you the website: www.musicroadhotel.com
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 06:22 AM
iceeu2

Gail, when are you going? And, are you only planning to do Dollywood? Both hotels you are looking at are in Gatlinburg and depending on the time of year, you could sit in some mighty fine traffice between PF and Gat..

Some friends of mine stayed at the BearSkinLodge and were fine with it. Zodors has been around a long time, so I can only guess that they are fine also.

There is a Hampton, Fairfield and Comfort Inn right on the parkway in Gatlinburg. Plus, you will have better food choices in Gatlinburg than in Pigeon Forge.

Keep asking questions....someone will see them and come up with the perfect solution for you!

I had recommended Oak Haven...you can always keep calling them and if they have a one night slot, they will rent it. They usually know on Monday or Tuesday if they have a Saturday one nighter. Sometimes, they will know long before that!

Have fun...it's a beautiful area.

Old Mar 20th, 2006, 03:53 AM
Original Poster

We will be traveling the week before Memorial Day weekend and I'm thinking about booking the b&b Eight Gables Inn. I'm not a HUGE fan of bed and breakfasts, but this place seems to be getting some decent reviews and looks kind of cozy.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 03:16 AM

Gail,
I normally stay at the Clarion Inn in Gatlinburg. Service is great. They have some very nice suites. I prefer the mountain view rooms instead of the street view rooms.

I enjoy dining at the Park Grill - next door - and Calhoun's - just down the street. I also enjoy hearing the Griffith (or Griffin?) Brothers at the Smoky Mtn Brewery (various nights of the week). They cover everything from Sheryl Crow to the Beatles.

I have stayed at many hotels in G'Burg. The Hampton Inn on the Parkway is OK. The Bearskin Lodge is unique - fireplace, jacuzzi, creek view from each room, but the furniture is extremely rustic - only 2 wooden chairs in room - no couch, etc.

Park Vista is unique, too. Big circular hotel on a foothill. Great views. Shuttle down to town on regular basis.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -