Gas container-Laws and what kind please?

Old Sep 24th, 2000, 08:13 PM
Marilyn

Gas container-Laws and what kind please?

I want to take a gas container and have gas in it, in case I run out of gas while I'm on the winding roads of Western Massachusetts. What kind of container should I use, where do I get it and how do I go about finding out the MASS laws on having this in the one's vehicle please? Thank you.

Old Sep 24th, 2000, 08:48 PM
Owen

I live in NJ and was previosuly in NY state for many years. I believe the laws are similar in most if not all states. The container must be red in color for gasoline and clearly labeled as such. They're readily available in any chain type auto parts store. I suspect it's illegal to have a gas container filled wit gas anywhere in your car including the trunk (not to mention very dangerous). I doubt that there's any place even in the hills of western MA where one can travel more than a hundred miles without finding some source for gasoline. If you're really concerned, spend the $40-50 to join the auto club and bring a cell phone. If you run out, call them and a truck will be sent with enough gas to get you to the nearest station (and you won't even be charged extra for the gas they put in.

Old Sep 25th, 2000, 07:47 AM
Cindy

Marilyn,

Assuming it is legal to carry extra gas in your vehicle or trunk, it just isn't safe. I mean *really* not safe. Remember some years ago that truck manufacturers put the fuel tanks inside the cabs? They don't do that anymore because a lot of people were hurt very badly. I'm sure you'll find gas somewhere along the way. Have a nice trip!

Old Sep 25th, 2000, 08:44 AM
CMcDaniel

Marilyn,

No need to worry about running out of gas in the Berkshires as it's never far between towns. If you keep an eye on your gauge and fill up at about 1/3 tank, you'll be just fine. You could probably drive the entire length of the county (providing you're not in an SUV) on that amount. I never came even remotely close to running out in all my years driving there.

Old Sep 25th, 2000, 08:50 AM
Kim

Marilyn,

There is a product on the market now (I think it's called rescue) that is safe to keep in your car and will work like gas to get you far enough to get to another gas station. You could have that on hand if you're really worried. I assume they would have it at an auto parts store.

Old Sep 25th, 2000, 09:38 AM
Marilyn

Oh my goodness, such great feedback. Thank you all for letting me know. Now I feel better. I was referring more specifically to the Berkshires and Mohawk Trail..glad to know it's not just winding road for hours.

Old Sep 25th, 2000, 09:49 AM
lily

Hi Marilyn,

I must agree that carrying gas in an auto is not safe! Also, it is my understanding that here in Pennsylvania it is illegal to transport more than one gallon at a time. Actually, having travelled many "back woods" I can tell you that the danger of hauling gasoline is MUCH greater than the danger of running out! Good luck and have fun!