Search

Garfield NJ - staying in Manhattan?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Garfield NJ - staying in Manhattan?

Greetings,

Everyone has always been so amazing about my trips to NYC I thought I would throw this out there...

Dh and I are considering going to a family wedding in October. The wedding is on a Friday night in Garfield NJ - the ceremony is in Staten Island in the middle of the day and the reception in good NY Italian style is at 7:30 that evening - it is in a venue in Garfield. Dh and I would prefer to stay in NYC - arriving on a Thursday evening and departing on Sunday.

It shows at 30 minutes away from NYC on Mapquest. We would not rent a car - but maybe use a car service to get us to the reception and back later that night.

My question is does that seem reasonable? Am I missing the traffic aspect?

Thanks in advance,
Old Jun 14th, 2009, 05:45 PM
J62

No traffic to worry about on Saturday. Car service will cost you about $100 each way, maybe a litte less.

Here's what you could do.
- Stay in Manhattan
- Sat am - ferry to Staten Island, cab to wedding
- ride with family or friends from wedding to reception. I wouldn't go back to Manhattan before reception unless you have a lot of time to kill.
- car service from reception back to Manhattan.
Old Jun 14th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

j62 - that is a good plan - one of the issues is that the way the wedding and receptions are set up (it is a little different then we do things on the west coast) the wedding itself will be in the early afternoon - and only for an hour or so - and then there will be a good 5 or 6 hours between the wedding and the reception.
I should have said - the wedding is on a FRIDAY.
Old Jun 14th, 2009, 05:57 PM

I can't help you at all here but I am confused by what you wrote - What time of day and day is the wedding and where is it. What time and day is the reception and where is it. Hopefully someone else can help you.
Old Jun 14th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

sorry.

Wedding ceremony - Friday early afternoon - Staten Island

Wedding Reception - Friday 7:30 pm - Garfield NJ
Old Jun 14th, 2009, 06:16 PM
J62

You wrote Friday and I read Saturday. Mea culpa.

Since there is a lot of time between the wedding & reception your plan to stay in Manhattan makes some sense to me, but it does have its downsides. You could return to Manhattan after the wedding. By the time you get back to your hotel you won't have much time to get out and about. You'd have to leave to NJ by 6ish.

You will be in rush hour traffic so you should plan to double the travel time by car service to Garfield. Getting out of Manhattan either by the Lincoln Tunnel or GWB will be the time sink.

The downside of staying in Manhattan is that you'll spend about 4hrs total travel time on Friday. 1hr each to/from the wedding, and 1hr to/from the reception - less headed back to NYC late Fri. If you stayed in NJ Thu/Fri nights (plenty of hotels in the Saddle Brook area) & rented a car you'd spend a lot less time in transit, but you'd be close to the reception venue late Friday night.

Personally I'd probably just stay in NJ Thu/Fri nights. Save the hotel $$$, save the car service $.
Old Jun 14th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Okay..that is not a bad idea (staying in NJ on Thursday and Friday) We are flying from the west coast so will get in late on Thursday anyway... and head over to the city perhaps on Sat am? I just hate to be so close and stay in Garfield ;-) I have my heart set on going to the Tenement museum the next time we get to the city...
Old Jun 14th, 2009, 07:15 PM

This is the opposite of I what I would usually recommend. It is because the wedding is on SI and the reception in NJ.

Stay at a motel near the recption and rent a car. Take into Manhattan when you want and will be happy to have transportation on that Friday.

buon fortuna
Old Jun 14th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

You all never fail me.
Old Jun 14th, 2009, 11:51 PM

As has been suggested, you could take the Staten Island Ferry from lower Manhattan to the ceremony on Staten Island, then return to Manhattan the same way.

Later in the day, you can avoid rush hour traffic delays by taking NJTransit from Penn Station to Garfield, a 35-or-so minute ride including an easy change of trains at Secaucus Junction. Return trains run via Secaucus Junction from nearby Rutherford (inbound Garfield to NYP service ends mid-afternoon), one station stop closer and a quick cab ride from Garfield.

Check train schedules here: http://tinyurl.com/ytmohy
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 07:21 AM

Reminder (here I go again -- last time it was about Alcatraz) -- make an advance reservation online for the Tenement Museum, it does sell out, particularly on weekends. Also, Katz' Deli is around the corner, so plan to have lunch there after your tour.

We took the tour called "Piecing it Together" and thought it was outstanding (we chose that one because one of my grandfathers, and my step-grandfather, were tailors) -- I'm sure in part because our tour guide was terrific (a grad student from New Zealand).

You can also take the opportunity to walk around the Lower East Side, although it "ain't what it used to be" (when both my father and FIL were born there in the early part of the 20th century).
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 07:28 AM

Are you suggesting that some one dressed for a wedding take a cab or the subway to the SI Ferry and then either find a cab or take the SI train to the wedding?

What is this a remake of Working Girl?
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 08:45 AM

The SI Ferry is nice for a little ride but awful for anything else. It's slow and the car service drivers waiting at the other side are horrifying.

I agree with Aduchamp - this time it would be easier to stay outside of the city. If you don't feel like driving in on Sat you can take a train or ferry. I would not try to drive to either place from Manhattan because you will NOT be happy with the traffic on a Friday.
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Aduchamp.... LOL - I have take the subway from Manhattan to the S.I. Ferry and gone across to see family (last Oct) and it is not something I would be comfortable doing all dressed up

SF - thank you! I did get my tickets for the Alcatraz I will know at the end of July if we are going to make the trip for the wedding. Have to wait on my school schedule for that term.
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 08:53 AM
J62

Newark airport would definitely be your best option if staying in NJ.
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

J62 - thank you for that - I think we will try to fly in and out of Newark but it does depend on the FF miles.
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 04:57 PM

If, as you said in your original post, you "would not rent a car" and do not wish to use public transportation, exactly what are you asking?
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

bs - I am so sorry - What I meant is that if we stay in the city I would avoid renting a car if *possible. I would most likely use a car service - as I would not be comfortable dressed up and taking the subway and the Staten Island Ferry. I apologize if my comment back to Aud was viewed as not appreciating your advice. Not the case at all. If renting a car is the best option we of course would do that. Dh was raised in Brooklyn and while avoids driving in the city like most - will if need be. We rented a car when we went in last August - we had it for a few nights in the city (parked) and then drove it to Lake George.
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 12:20 AM

No problem. But just what is it that would make you "uncomfortable"? People headed for business, appropriately clothed, use public transport all the time.
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 04:45 AM

I'm just wondering what all thisfuss is about - getting dressed up and therefore not wanting to ride the subway. I've headed for affairs a gazillion times - dressed for the occasion. Who could care? I've even seen many wearing formal on the subway - so what?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -