Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Garden State P'way or NJ Turnpike to Ocean City NJ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2004, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're coming from upstate NY and going to Ocean City NJ this Sunday. Last time we did this trip we took the Garden State from Passaic NJ to OC. Traffic was bumper to bumper most of the way. I'm wondering if it'd be any better using the Turnpike, then cutting across on the Atlantic City Expressway??

Any comments or other suggestions?

Thanks!
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 09:14 AM

You may very well do better to take the turnpike - it all depends on time of day and luck. Last Sat afternoon, we bailed off the GSP and took the NJT down to exit 8 - Hightstown. Wanted to get to exit 7A but traffic was already backed up there too. Took rte 33 for a mile or two and got onto 539 south to 195 to get to Jackson NJ.

Fifteen years ago I frequently made the trip from Northern Jersey to Long Beach Island by taking NJTP to 539 all the way to rte 72. Average speed is 45 to 50 mph. Faster if you are brave enough to pass people on this two-lane road. Last week 539 seemed more developed than I remembered it to be but it was still pretty and a nice break from the highways. Whatever you decide, bring a good Jersey map and be prepared to bail onto secondary roads. I see that you are coming from upstate NY but it would be great if you could hit the GSP by 8AM or so even if it means leaving at 5 or 6 am. The traffic will be heavy on both the GSP and NJTP by around 10:30 or 11:00 am. Good luck.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 10:13 AM

Sunday going South on the GSP should not be as bad as a Friday night or Saturday for shore traffic. Taking the NJ Turnpike beyond exit 11 (junction with the GSP) takes you diagonally southwest across NJ, so by the time you get far enough south for Ocean City, you're all the way across the state, which is really out of the way. I think if you take the Turnpike to the Parkway at exit 11 and then drive down to the AC Expressway on the GSP, you'll be fine when you are going. Going way out of your way is not worth avoiding any potential traffic you might encounter. Plus, as the forecast stands now, Sunday is only supposed to be in the 75-80 degrees...a little cool for beach daytrippers.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Shanna and tpatricco -- thanks for your advice. I was hoping going on a Sunday might make a difference.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 01:07 PM

Stick with the GS Parkway-the bad traffic should be heading the other direction.AM radio 1060 has traffic on the 2's and will reach to the NYC area.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 02:07 PM

Coming from Albany, I prefer the I-287 loop to the west which exits the NYS Thruway at Exit 15, passes near Parsippany, then rejoins both the NJTP and the GSPW just below the Amboy Perth junction. Free, but more importantly avoids the stop & go GSPW traffic thru all the metropolitan areas.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 02:11 PM

Price you pay for living in the NE, lol!
M
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 03:06 PM

Actually the worst traffic area on the GSP going to the shore is typically between the Raritan down to the Asbury and sometimes Barnegat Toll Plazas, this is all shore traffic. You might hit more traffic further north during the week (you definitely will at rush hour), but since you'd be taking the Turnpike all the way down to Woodbridge, you'd avoid that part anyway. On Sunday, the parkway will be fine.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 04:53 PM

Yes, the Parkway South on a Sunday will be quicker and more direct to Ocean City.

The Parkway South usually has that "bumper to bumper" summer traffic late afternoon and early evening on Fridays (because of weekenders) and all morning on Saturday (due to weekly renters). Enjoy your beach time...
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 05:09 PM

I agree with rb traveler. Can't stand the tolls on the Garden State and the Jersey Tpke can back up without any discernible cause.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 06:24 PM

Actually the tolls don't bother me that much ... I think tolls are a BARGAIN compared to driving on state roads. I've done the early Saturday morning bumper-to-bumper along the coast and figure it to be something to put up with, but I hate the metropolitan area with the funneling of traffic at each tollstation.

I've made bicycle trips of 3 different routes from High Point to Cape May, and if you've never traveled in rural NJ you don't know how nice a state it really is. I always laughed at the motto "Garden State" until I saw it up close. If you've the time to explore the state, do it. There's so much more than AC, OC, WW, and CM!
Old Aug 15th, 2004, 07:55 AM
Jed

I am continually amazed by the long lines at the toll booths, when I can zip through using EZpass. If more people would use it, the lines would be much shorter.