Reload this Page >

Galveston - whats it like?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2001, 04:35 PM
Brooke

Need more info on Galveston. Will be in the area for Mardi Gras. Five young women travelling. Is this safe? What is Galveston Island like, can you compare to another "island type" place you have been? Is it nice, run down?

Do you have to take the ferry there or is there a bridge. Sorry if these are silly questions, but trying to make some deciscions quickly. We were planning on staying in Houston and are wondering if this would be better. Any idea on temps this time of year (mid Feb)? I would guess high 60's low 70's, is this close?

Thanks!

Old Jan 22nd, 2001, 08:57 PM
Linda

Galveston is safe as any town. The Strand is fun. You take the causeway from Houston if you drive. There is a ferry that takes you east from the Island and you can just ride for fun if you wish. It is about a 45-55 minute drive from Houston (depending on traffic). On your way from Houston, take I-45 & the NASA Road 1 exit for the Space Center. It is great & worth some time. Continue on NASA Rd. 1 until you have to turn--go right toward Kemah. Just before you cross the bridge, there is a restaurant on the left called Pier 8--for $9.99, it is all you can eat seafood. You pick the raw fish, shrimp, scallops, calamari, etc.; pasta; vegatables; sauce & they stirfry. While they are doing that, you have seafood gumbo, green salad, oysters on half shell, steamed shrimp & crab, etc. It is not fancy but you can't beat the food and price. In Galveston, try Guido's (near the main beach) or Clary's (off Teichelmann Road just off the causeway behind the Galveston Daily News building). Like any city, there are nice and not so good areas. Temps vary--it could be 40's to 60's or 30's to 70's--that is just Texas weather.

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 12:06 PM
Brooke

So does the causeway take you right to Galveston Island or take you to where you catch the ferry at?

Also what are Guido's and Clary's? Restaurants?

Anyone been here during Mardi Gras? What is it like?

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 12:40 PM
Sam

My only attempt at Mardi Gras in Galveston was a few years ago. It was a very pale, lame attempt to emulate New Orleans' parades and the city was full of obnoxious, drunk Houstonians who then DROVE the 45 miles back to Houston. If you're already in town, it'll probably be fun. I wouldn't go out of my way to go there, however.

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 02:32 PM
Linda

The causeway takes you onto the Island. The ferry is the way to go east and is an alternative to the causeway. Guido's & Clary's are restaurants.

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 02:16 PM
Drunken Houstoner

You talkin' bout me..gulp brrppp!!!

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 03:57 PM
dfr

Sam, did you go around and ask all the drunks where they were from? And then did you follow each of them as they drove back to Houston? I have been to Mardi Gras in Galveston for the last five years. There are some drunken rowdies (maybe even a few from Houston), but there are more couples and families who are just out to have a pleasant time. Galveston's Mardi Gras is tame compared to New Orleans, and thats fine with me. You want drunken rowdies, public lewdness, and just plain downright obnoxious behavior? Mardi Gras in New Orleans is the place to be.
And Drunken Houstoner, if you were in fact one, you would know that you are a Drunken Houstonian, not Houstoner.

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 06:39 PM
Sam

Actually, many of the Houstonians bragged about the fact that drinking and driving was a way of live. So, yes, miss priss...I do believe that most people WERE from Houston as it's the only major city within 200 miles!

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 06:46 PM
sam

sorry...I meant to say WAY OF LIFE. fingers moved faster than the rest of me! If you want to do Mardi Gras, do the real thing...go to Louisiana where it's at least fun!

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 11:56 AM
Sam-I-ain't

So what is there in Galveston, besides drunken Houstonians? Do they tote guns too like everyone else in Texas?

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 01:02 PM
Heston

Give me a break!

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 06:06 AM
Christie

My husband's rugby team goes to Galveston for the Mardi Gras Rugby Tournament every year. He says the Strand's version is a lot less crowded and much safer than NO. They close it down at midnight, so it won't be a really late night.

A trip to Moody Gardens is a good thing to do while in Galveston, as is a tour of the Battleship Texas and the newly-restored San Jacinto Monument.

For more info on Texas travel destinations, go to www.traveltex.com