Reload this Page >

Galveston TX Mardi Gras

Search

Galveston TX Mardi Gras

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 09:48 AM
Lana

Galveston TX Mardi Gras

This will be our first time to visit Galveston during the Mardi Gras celebration. We will be there on the second weekend of the event. We were surprised to find that our favorite hotel was booked for this weekend way back in November. Tell us what to expect and about the parking situation. Thanks

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 10:57 AM
Christie

The Galveston version of Mardi Gras is much more low-key than New Orleans, but it is still very fun. My husband has played in the rugby tournament there for the past 6 years and he always has a good time. Do be careful of pickpockets and be mindful of your surroundings. The police maintain a strong presence, and things do shut down promptly at midnight.

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 08:14 AM
THERESA

My husband and I are planning a day trip this Saturday for Mardi Gras concerts. We are flying in to Houston Hobby and renting a car. Any suggestions on parking and dining would be appreciated.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 04:31 AM
sister

The February issue of SOUTHERN LIVING magazine has a great article on the Mardi Gras in Galveston. You could probably get information on line also...www.southernliving.com..(I received my copy yesterday in the mail)

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 07:42 AM
Olympus

Access to Galveston Island is via ONE bridge from the mainland (or a ferry on the east end). Expect big time traffic for Mardi Gras, especially around major events (parades) and prepare for scarce parking. If your hotel has parking, check with them to make sure that having a room there also guarantees you a parking space. The bacchanalia is usually less totaly indulgent than in New Orleans, but do prepare for lots of inebriated people, some of whom will be driving.