Galveston, Tx - Cheap!

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 09:53 PM
Mary

Galveston, Tx - Cheap!

Any suggestions for a cheap place to stay in Galveston, TX? We are planning on going on a weekend in August. Ideally, we'd like to be by the beach, but any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks!!!

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 04:04 AM
Statia

How many people? With two couples it can be inexpensive to rent a condo on the seawall.

What do you consider cheap?

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 04:49 AM
sister

We used to stay at the Victorian Condotel years ago. On the beach and family oriented. I don't like the word "cheap". I think of Days Inn or Motel 6. What you want is a good value...try the Victorian. Start making res now because Galveston has become quite popular with it's many attractions.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 05:25 AM
Cant Breathe

Bring your own respirator. Galveston has a lot of pollution.

http://www.ghasp.org/

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 06:20 AM
Iron Lung

Ther are loads of places. Just be warned that a place called the Flagship looks good on paper but is a rathole in real life!

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 08:04 AM
Christie

If you're looking for a cheap beach, Galveston is fine.

If you're looking for a NICE, CLEAN beach with good restaurants nearby and good hotels I'd recommend South Padre Island.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 09:09 AM
JJ

I may be in the minority, but I don't see the attraction to Galveston unless it's just a diversion from Houston. It's dirty, run-down and a little "slummy" for my tastes.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 05:31 PM
Not BOI, but I like it

JJ: There are a lot of people with seven figures incomes that enjoy "slumming" in Galveston. Galveston has character, it is not the generic beach town. I always enjoy a trip to Galveston. By the way, if anyone spots a troll under the causeway with a respirator, please lay some rubber for me.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 06:10 PM
JJ

I, too, have a 7 figure income and I love New Orleans, Miami and other "run down" towns. Galveston just doesn't have anywhere near the same charm, IMHO. If you like it, Houstonguy, great! I don't and was just sharing my opinion. No comebacks necessary.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 06:15 PM
Not BOI

JJ: No one solicited your opinion. Seven figures doesn't include numbers after the decimal point. I'm just tired of unsolicited naysayers not responding to the original post, like "can't breathe".

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 02:57 AM
Paul

Typical childlike manner. He had to "comeback" anyway!

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 11:32 AM
M

Back to your questions.

The SeaScape condos are nice and pretty reasonably priced. One of the few that are right on the beach.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 11:51 AM
cd

Is that the Flagship that looks like it's way out in the water?

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 12:04 PM
Statia

Yes, CD, that's the Flagship. Sorry to hear on this thread that it's gone down the tubes.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 12:15 PM
cd

Thanks Statia, it looks like a fun place to stay. I'm sorry too.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 01:04 PM
Statia

Of course, that is one person's view. Does anyone else out there have recent facts/opinions about the Flagship?

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 06:58 PM
Bobby

Here's another negative vote for the Flagship. It's a great concept built out over the water like that, but the place is pretty awful - thin walls, dank smells, overall kind of dingy and bad service to boot. We were very disappointed, won't return there.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 07:17 PM
p.

Galveston can indeed be fun for a weekend. The old downtown is spruced up with some good places to eat and stay. The harbor area is small but is an active working port & you can visit the tall-ship Elissa. Then you can visit the Moody Gardens & Aquarium etc.
I second the comment about the Seascape, it's at the end of the seawall road where it jogs inland a few yards so it's right on the beach whereas the others are "across the road" from the beach.
I heartily second the comment about the Flagship. It is A-W-F-U-L, dirty, dank, full of roaches. Utter disgrace to the community.
p.

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 04:19 AM
Statia

Thanks for replies on Flagship. Maybe they'll renovate one day.

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 07:59 AM
Nancy

We were able to get the Galvez for less than $90 on Hotwire for last weekend. Very nice historic hotel recently refurbished - across the street from beach.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -