Search

Gabrielle

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 01:37 PM
OliveOyl

Gabrielle

Sal and Joan,

The new projected landfall for Gabrielle was a shock. Earlier this afternoon landfall had been moved further north than Cedar Key, but projections as of 5 PM, according to Channel 8, are sending it right over Sarasota then across the state.

Hopefully that will change, but are you prepared/preparing? I've done nothing....and it now looks as if we have only tomorrow to get ready.

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 05:13 PM
Celeste

Minutes ago, they said it has taken a turn to the south, but will still hit South Central Florida, including Orlando, where I live. And no, I haven't prepared other than to get my enormous oak tree trimmed back. My mind has been in NYC these last couple of days. Gabrielle is my ex-mother-in-law's name - hope that doesn't mean this storm will be a b----!

Old Sep 14th, 2001, 08:52 AM
Toby

Gabrielle is the name of the soon-to-be ex-wife of a mate of mine at work. My mate says Gabby is a crazy bitch. A hurricane of an ass, you might say.

Old Sep 14th, 2001, 11:25 AM
joan

wow, Olive, not even 24 hours since your post, and what a change (So much for hurricane predictions):

When I went to bed last night, the prediction was that Gabrielle would make landfall no earlier than 8 pm Friday, and as late as Sunday. when I awoke to the phone ringing this morning, it was one of my employees telling me that the storm was making landfall NOW - 7:30 AM!!!

Yes, we did minor preparations before we went to bed (figured we had Friday to board things up). But judging by the offshore winds of the northern half of the storm, figured we'd be okay with regard to storm surge. Luckily that was true! ...the poor prediction sure makes me uneasy though!
J

P.S. Toby, "a hurricane of an ass" -- that's too funny! LOL!

Old Sep 14th, 2001, 01:58 PM
Olive Oyl

Joan, Celeste, Guess that will teach us not to listen to forecasters again!

Like you, we went to bed thinking we had at least part of today to prepare, and planned on getting the boat done early this morning. We got down there before dawn but the wind was already much too strong to even think about dealing with the bimini, just lashed down sails, adjusted lines, gave her a pat and left for a very dicey drive back home. Will go back after DH gets off to see how she fared. Even at that early hour, a couple of boats' jibs had unfurled and were flapping free, likewise biminis. If that's all though, I'll be thrilled, after seeing pictures of the sailboat battering up against Ringling Causeway. But then, as we all learned this week, this is only stuff and can be replaced...we have life!

Hope your restaurant is fine. We lost several trees around the property, one 50' palm falling on a casita, but gently enough that it doesn't appear to have damaged it. It was as if the ground was so saturated the roots didn't hold, so all the trees we lost didn't fall hard...just sort of lay down.

Meantime we had a hotel full of guests who had been stuck and were hoping to get out with the airport reopening......then the storm hit.

Hope Sal is OK. The flooding there looks bad.