Fun in Texas in February

Search

Fun in Texas in February

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fun in Texas in February

Hubby's 40th birthday is next month, our 13th anniversary is next month, and daughter is out of Kindergarten for 3 consecutive days during that time. (This will be early Feb.) Anyone have any ideas about where to go in Texas to celebrate either? Due to hubby's work right now we can't venture off too far and we need somewhat fluid plans. He may have to cancel or cut the trip short. We can go as a couple or as a family. I'd like to do more but the situation is what it is.

We have been to Great Wolf Lodge in Grapevine a few times as well as the Gaylord Texan. We are in Austin and visit San Antonio often. We love the water but I think it will be too cold for any kind of outdoor fun in the gulf. I checked Schlitterbahn in Galveston since they have an indoor waterpark but it will not open until March.

Anyone have other ideas? Something in Corpus, SPI, Rockport, etc.? Thanks.
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 03:07 PM

Big Bend National Park
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 04:31 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
It's been a few years but I remember Fredricksburg for the Nimitz Museum and the Auslander German restaurant. The other German restaurants don't have very good reviews.
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 06:55 AM
jcb

I think Corpus w/b too cold to do anything on the beach. The aquarium is nice, but I don't think I would go on a trip just for that. I would wait until it is warmer and stay in Port A to do a Corpus trip.

There was a nice thread last week on things to do in SPI although I don't like the long drive.

I have never been here, but it does interest me. It is very close to Austin and looks fun w/ for the whole family

http://www.serengetiresort.com/

Also, there is Rough Creek Lodge in Glen Rose (about an hour SW of Fort Worth. I haven't been in years (since it had previous owners and cost a lot less)

http://roughcreek.com/

Happy planning. Let us know what you decide. I'm in Dallas and have a hard time finding weekend trips in the winter for my family
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions -- all of them. Who knew this would be so difficult?

We lived in Dallas for about 8 years & go back to visit or for our beloved Stars, Cowboys, and Rangers. I absolutely love the Dallas World Aquarium. I have been going for 18 years back when it was truly just interesting aquariums. Hubs took me to Boston for my 40th but that was a few years ago. Still, I'd like to do something pretty decent.

I have seriously been leaning toward Glen Rose. Is that more of one day type trip or is it worth staying for a couple of nights? Daughter has been asking to go horseback riding but she is only 6. She wants to ride and not just be led around. Do you know if Glen Rose have anything like that?

Fredericksburg is nice. We have been there once and through there many, many times on our way to El Paso. We did enjoy that restaurant that you mentioned. Glad we went even though we were just there for a day.

I don't think Big Bend would work for us. Too far and too much to take in during that time. I am glad you mentioned it because I tend to forget about it and I think we should make it a point to go sometime. Just not this time.

Thanks again everyone and feel free to offer more ideas.
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 10:06 AM

San Antonio. There is so much to do, so much history, shopping, eating, etc. That's my vote!
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

I agree with the sentiment. I love San Antonio but it's so close and we go there often. Looking for a little more out of the ordinary. thanks though.
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 10:17 AM

Glen Rose has the Fossil Rim Wildlife Park that's really neat and would be fun for a 6 year old.
Old Jan 14th, 2011, 05:51 PM

Check out Rough Creek Lodge on line. You will be close enough to go to Fossil Rim and Granbury and still have great accommodations and fine dining for your birthday and anniversary celebrations.
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 07:12 AM

For a resort how about the Hyatt Lost Pines Resort near Bastrop - practically in your backyard.

For a hotel stay in a location with tons to do and an endless choice of resturants, how about Houston? Lots of great museums, many child friendly, like Childrens, Medical, Art Car, and Natural Science. NASA is nearby and opportunites for horseback riding are too. The zoo is really good and the animals are especially active in the cool winter months. You also have the option of ice skating and or shopping at the Galleria. Didn't check but there may also be something that is playing in the theator district then too.