Fulton Fish Market

Jun 21st, 2002, 11:01 AM
fulton fish market

Fulton Fish Market

What's this place like? We're thinking of visiting the Fulton Fish Market while staying in NYC on our next trip. Are visitors allowed? When is the best time of the day to visit? Can general public purchase seafood there or is it just reserved for commercial transactions?

Jun 21st, 2002, 11:13 AM
aMom

Tours are given through the south street seaport museum. Check this site for info: http://www.photo.net/philg/ny/fish-market.html. i don't know if you can actually buy there. I thinks it's more for restaurants and stores. Lots of fresh fish is sold on Canal St. in the chinatown area (which is easily walkable from south street seaport).

Jun 21st, 2002, 11:17 AM
xxx

I'm not sure why you'd go there. It a disgusting place that stinks to high heavens. I used to park near there and walk through on the way to work. Every time I came home my car smelled like fish.

Jun 21st, 2002, 11:35 AM
rqf

If you your heart set on a visit all activity takes place early in the morning - before 8 am. It is right next to the South Street Seaport. I have purchased shrimp and lobsters, retail, at the market on occasion.

Jun 21st, 2002, 12:54 PM
Ted

The fish market is adjacent to South Street Seaport, but it appears and disappears VERY early in the morning (but the stink certainly lingers). One of my restaurant-owning friends would buy his seafood a 5AM. I'm not sure why you're interested; if purchasing seafood is your goal, then Canal Street would be better. If just seeing the action is your game, then you'll have to get down there at the crack of dawn.