Full moon ranger walk at Bryce Canyon

Old Jul 8th, 2013, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Full moon ranger walk at Bryce Canyon

I've read about this on the NPS website. It looks really cool ... Is it cool enough to warrant trying to plan around the two days a month that it's offered?

Thanks!
Old Jul 8th, 2013, 09:46 AM

The problem with Bryce compared to some of the other National Parks that do Night Rangers activities is that Bryce is the original one that started it and theirs is very popular, so it can be crowded. I have not done the Full Moon Walk, but did do their night sky and looked thru the telescopes. I was a bit underwhelmed. Plus, you probably would have clear skies for a full moon, but that isn't guaranteed either. The best one I've been to is a Carlsbad Caverns-they only do it one time per year and its huge. Even Mr. Hale from the Hale Bop commet was there. They had tons of telescopes set up and many people there that knew what they were doing to help you. That said, I always think your full moon walk would be well worth doing.
Old Jul 8th, 2013, 09:47 AM

comet*
Old Jul 8th, 2013, 11:12 PM

Bryce's neighbor park, Cedar Breaks, is at a higher elevation and also hosts star walks/talks. Far less crowded. Problem is no hotels - great camp ground
Last check, they don't supply telescopes.
Call them.
http://www.nps.gov/cebr/index.htm

Vaga
Old Jul 16th, 2013, 02:53 PM

You have two night time events but they don't happen together. Either you have a dark sky where you can view the stars, or you have a moon. When the moon is out you can't see the stars, so they do the full moon hike. If you have never spent anytime walking by the light of the moon it could be a wonderful experience. But on the other hand the dark skies full of stars are impressive as well. I personally would not plan my trip around either event. If however one or the other were happening while I was there I would try to make arrangements to participate.

My understanding on the full moon hike is that you must be there early morning to sign up. If you miss that you are certainly at liberty to take your own walk among the hoodoos at night. Just be careful of where you step and bring a flashlight just in case (but turn it off and enjoy the moonlight and shadow)