Ft. Myers to Marco Island to Keys in a week

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2003, 09:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip the end of May. Ft. Myers to Naples/Marco Island to the Keys. Need ideas for places to stay and things to do. We are leaving the kids to celebrate our 25th anniversary. We like water, birds, eating, nitelife and a little shopping.
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 04:53 AM

Hi Jechort,

You probably haven't seen Birdie's Marco Island trip report yet, posted this morning. She mentions the Corscrew Sanctuary as being great for wildlife. She also mentions the restaurant Verginas as a great meal.

Shopping in downtown Naples is great, if a bit expensive.

Patrick, a discerning,well travelled poster here who LIVES in Naples, has made lots of good suggestions if you do a text search. He has mentioned the Escalente hotel in Naples but reports are the rooms are small so upgrade to a superior room.

Islamorada is supposed to be wonderful but may be too far from Naples for your one week stay.

Happy anniversary!
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 05:18 AM

"discerning?" oh my, mclaurie!

If doing a search it is "Escalante".

I'm usually interested when people say Naples/Marco Island. Their distance apart does not really make it one destination, especially if you are into fine dining and nightlife (I wouldn't want to drive back to Marco after drinks and dinner in Naples -- but that's me). I think reading between the lines of Birdie's report she'd agree that dining in Naples is better by far than in Marco. Marco is more of a kick back and relax on the beach place.
Yes, Corkscrew is a must do if you are into birds and nature!
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 02:50 PM

FYI: IF you are driving all the way to Key West it takes our daughter about 5 hours to drive from Ft. Myers to Key West, where she lives, and that's on good day. Week ends, or accidents can make the trip MUCH longer. The nightlife is definately in Key West, as can the shopping be. Good food down there too. But you didn't say where in the Keys.
And you didn't say if you are spending any time in Ft. Myers. If you are, then go to Sanibel to the "Ding" Darling nature preserve for the bird watching. And to the Edison/Ford homes tour.
Have fun where ever you chose to go.

Old Apr 30th, 2003, 05:40 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
While I was at Corkscrew I picked up some brochures on the top birding stops in Florida. I could pass some more ideas on to you if you want.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 07:11 AM
GoTravel

You can take the ferry from Marco Island to Key West. I think it is $50 each way.

Old May 8th, 2003, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your ideas....We are almost done planning our trip and it includes many of your suggestions. We will make a report when we return. Thanks for all the help.