Reload this Page >

Ft. Myers and Sanibel in mid-June

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 1999, 01:58 PM
Glendy

I'm planning a trip to Ft. Myer/Sanibel Island area for 5 days the second week of June. I would like to stay on Sanibel Island but I got a good deal with Sanibel Harbour Resort in Ft. Meyer that I don't want to pass on.
Questions: Should I try to find a place on Sanibel Island or stay with Sanibel Harbour at Ft. Myer? how's the weather in the area mid-June? Any suggestion of what to do in Ft. Myer?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Old May 26th, 1999, 10:43 AM
Theresa

I'm jealous!
It will be hot and humid. I was there a few years ago in July. You'll do fine staying in Ft. Myers and driving over. It'll probably save you money anyway. The shelling is great. There's the J.N. Ding Darling NWR on (I believe) the north side of the island. In and around Ft. Myers, there are the homes of Henry Ford and Thomas Edison, open to the public as museums. There's also a RR car in town set up as a museum. Easy access to the edge of the Everglades. If you check with visitor info in town, they are real helpful with specifics and driving directions.

Old May 26th, 1999, 11:57 AM
Sharon

Whether to stay at the Sanibel Harbor resort depends on how important the beach is. Going over the causeway and paying that $3 toll gets old but a good deal can ameliorate a lot. If you have kids, especially younger ones, the Harbor hotel doesn't seem to get as many kids as the island ones. The spa services at the Harbour resort are very good and the tennis facility is great. The food is so-so except for the posh Golden Bear (I think that's the name). Zoe's and the Lighthouse are two restaurants close to the property that are excellent. If the weather turns rainy, the Bell Tower theatres and mall are very nice and Johnny Rockets restaurant there is lots of fun for all ages. Very un PC food: malts and cheesburgers and chilicheese fries.

Old May 26th, 1999, 05:59 PM
Martin

I would recommend staying on the island (I've done both), as it is gorgeous and it's nice to be right there among everything. I'm jealous--you'll have a wonderful time. Any questions about fishing there I may be able to answer.

Old May 28th, 1999, 09:45 AM
glendy

Thank you all for your advise! I'm getting really excited about the trip as the planning getting close to done.
I probably will stay with Sanibel Harbour Resort as I cannot find any similar delas with good exercise classes and spa. But I'm definetly going to take a shelling cruise, a sunset dinner cruise, kayaking tour and spend the rest of the time between pools, beaches and spa classes. I want to go fish too but I'm having done it for so long--I'll need soem serious help. Now I need to find some good places to eat. I just can't wait!!