Frustrated with Delta - Help!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2004, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think Delta is trying to drive me nuts. The first week of March, my family and I flew to SLC from Atlanta to go skiing. Silly me, I packed all are ski items in one bag. And I mean everything, clothes, goggles,hats and everything else. Luckily, I made everyone carry their coats or we wouldn't have that.
Well, of course, when we got off the plane, there was no bag. I filed my claim and went to the hotel and they told me it SHOULD show up. Well, it didn't and we had to rush out the next morning and buy new clothes. It was pretty expensive but we really didn't want to shop but to get on the slopes. Every time I called Delta(felt like I was calling Bombay) They told me they would give each of use $22. to rent clothes. I kept telling them thess were ski clothes not ski equipment but it never sank in. I figured I'd straighten it out when I got home. So,
I filed my claim and submitted the proper receipts in March but still I have no check. I called several times and always got the runaround. Anyway, last month they found it and delivered it to me. I really don't want it and I still haven't looked in it. It's been out of my control for 3 months.
I called today and it was tranferred to loss prevention(they of course didn't notify me of that) and of course the guy is on vacation. However, the person who answered the phone said Delta would probably not reimburse me very much because I got my bag returned. It was 3 months later. Can someone please help me before I go nuts. The clothes cost us over $2,000 for the four of use. Shouldn't they reimburse us something?
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 01:47 PM

I would go to flyertalk.com and go to the Delta SkyMiles forum under Airline Programs. They should be able to advise you how to get a resolution.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 01:48 PM

Why you don't want your clothes? You could use them again. Wash them, dry clean them and use them.

<I really don't want it and I still haven't looked in it. It's been out of my control for 3 months.>
I don't get it, you did not open your bag since last month?
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 01:57 PM

You want them to BUY you a whole new ski wardrobe for 4 people? Please tell me you purchased supplemental baggage insurance? If not, please tell me what cocktail you are drinking right now.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 02:09 PM

I retract what I just said. I checked Delta's website and confirmed via a phone call. Without extra insurance the coverage is $2500 per ticketed passenger.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 02:18 PM
OO

I don't know what happened to that previous reply!! I'll try to send again...

I see travel_gal's point...in order to ski that vacation she had to replace at least some of what never arrived. I would think there should be some compensation, wouldn't you? They were out money because of Delta's mix-up. Rent ski clothes? I don't think so! ick.

Now, as to the found luggage, it is yours, yours to keep or yours to throw away if you feel it's necessary, although I can't imagine why you would do that, nor would I expect that decision to impact how Delta handles your claim. What do you think has happened to those clothes in the past 3 months...someone else has been skiing in them?! So, although I'll agree they owe you something, I'll also agree with Delta that it probaly isn't very much. You have your clothes (whether you want them still or not) and they'll be there for another ski adventure.

Now PLEASE tell me Delta hasn't outsourced their customer service! Soon Americans in need of employment will have to head to where all the jobs are--India!
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

To gracie, I spent $2500. for four people, not per person. That's not a lot for ski clothing. We bought the bare minimum but we didn't have time to look for sales. We had to buy everything- ski pants, shirts, hats, gloves, goggles,socks, you name it. We did not buy a lot, just enough to get us by.
To incognito, I have no idea where that suitcase has been for three months. No thank you. Plus I had to buy new ski clothes, not that's what I planned on. I live in Atlanta and it's not like I can wear them again here. I didn't want to buy new clothes but we had nothing to ski in. I HAd to buy new clothes. Shouldn't they reimburse me for something since they lost my suitcase for 3 months . It was on the way to our vacation, not on the way home.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 02:41 PM

Hold on, travel_gal. I retracted what I first said. I confirmed by phone that Delta's coverage is $2500 per person without extra coverage. So, I would imagine that if you have followed procedures correctly in your claim you will be receiving some reimbursement. Since Delta has never lost any of my luggage in over 20 years of regular travel, I have no idea what that procedure might be. I did find a link on their website, but I'm sure you have been using that on a regular basis since March. Puddy's suggestion to check on flyertalk sounds like a good one.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

That's my point. I followed all their procedures, filed out the claim, sent in my receipts all on a timely basis. Now, they're trying to get out of paying since"they recovered my bag". They recovered it 3 months later. It's been 17 weeks since I filed my claim. Shouldn't they have to reimburse me something if they lost your bag for 3 months.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 02:59 PM

I think it would be helpful if gracieb gave you a URL for where she found the Delta policy on reimbursement. Print it out. Then I would write a strong letter to the President of Delta copying the guy on vacation and include copies of all your receipts again. Does your credit card have any insurance attached?
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 03:03 PM

Just go to the website, choose site map and then click on several links that discuss their baggage policies.

Something's fishy here...don't know what, but I'm bowing out.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Luckily, I purchased our tickets on American Express and they will pay what Delta doesn't. I not sure how much.Gracie, there is nothing fishy on my part. My husband, two teenage boys and myself went skiing on spring break, Delta lost our luggage, we went out and bought some new things so we didn't spoil our vacation and now Delta's dragging their feet. I filed everything on time and did what I was supposed to do but now they won't do what they're supposed to do. I sent the claim certified mail and they admit that I filed everything correctly but they still haven't paid.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 03:27 PM
bonniebroad

Travel_gal, I have never had a bag lost so cannot empathize with you. But a question here - in the fine print, on your ticket, does it say Delta will pay only if they don't find your bag within a certain amount of time? After what amount of time does an airline usually reimburse people, if they've lost bags? Other travelers who have experienced lost bags - how long did it take to get your money?

Old Jul 27th, 2004, 03:30 PM

Bonniebroad, it will be interesting to see who weighs in on this one and if they are the (now?) non-checkers on the check/carryon posts! I haven't crossed paths with anyone that has had a similar experience so it will be interesting to hear the stories.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 03:50 PM

I would strongly recommend we all have and share the names of the US VPs for Customer Service for all the major A/Ls, their addys, tel #'s and access to their Assistants.
Re: DAL - I got a 25K mi coupon late last DEC good for RT to US, MX and HI, etc.
They raised the "bar" to 30K in March and just recently to 35K for HI and MX and refuse to honor the stated agreement on my coupon.
Worse, their coach seating is awful c/w AA
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 05:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This sounds like a very frustrating situation. What would you consider adequate compensation from Delta?
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

That's the question that i'm asking. Can they lose your luggage for 3 months and not pay you anything? The only way Amerex will pay(which I'm sure they will) is after Delta pays. But I can't get Delta to do anything so I can send something to American Express. According to the information that I recieved when I filed my claim in Slc, it says "If your bag is expected more than 24 hours after flight arrival Delta will authorize up to usd 25 per day for neccessities after the first 24 hours up to a maximum of usd 125 per ticketed customer." Our bag was lost for 3 months for 4 people and I haven't received anything. It's just ridiculous.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 06:29 PM

Well based on the info you recv'd when you filed the claim it sounds as if Delta will offer you $125 a person. The egregious thing is how hard they've made you work for, to date, nothing.

Mikemo and mclaurie's suggestions about detailing this disaster to Customer Svce VPs and Delta's Pres seem right on the mark. I've always been advised to quantify whatever compensation will make the d

Old Jul 27th, 2004, 06:30 PM

...continued...

dispute go away. That's why I asked what do you think it would take to make it right with you?
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 06:52 PM

There has to be more to this. Delta has promptly dealt with any situation I've had and my associates include people who have flown in and out of Atlanta on Delta for years with nothing like this.

I had a cruched corner on a suitcase (upon my arrival in Hawaii). Reported it. Got the documentation. Was told to turn in the suitcase in Atlanta. Moved the contents to a cardboard Delta box at Hartfield upon my arrival in Atlanta and was told the suitcase would be repaired. Two days later a brand new suitcase was delivered to my home. I called Delta and they said it was cheaper for them to give me a new suitcase than repair the other.

10 years later, the zipper on that suitcase popped open. The contents were spilling out as it twirled on the baggage carousel at Boston. I went to the baggage office to request a cardboard box. They INSISTED I accept a brand new suitcase. I felt sooo guilty. I was given a replacement suitcase for a replacement suitcase from 10 years earlier that had experienced weekly use!

When I called Delta tonight to ask about their baggage policy to the information appeared to be matter of fact. The website indicated that they do contract out their baggage retrieval and that company is listed on the website.

For other insurance claims, I've been asked for receipts for the damaged items and of course depreciation is applied.

I've bought ski gear in Atlanta and know my receipts would show that I had not spent a lot. I bought pants and parka at Burlington Coat Factory. Goggles at Breckenridge. Gloves - I'm not sure where.

My guess is that replacment costs would be based on the original purchase price less depreciation by year and would not come close to ski resort prices. I suppose if I were to be checking expensive items, I would buy supplemental insurance, but that still takes one back to the point that most insurance companies base reimbursement on original purchase price, not replacement prices. I pay an extra premium on my homeowners insurance for actual replacement value. Again, in twenty years of regular travel in and out of Atlanta via Delta I've not heard of anyone else with a similar situation.

Please share the resolution when it has been accomplished.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -