from yosemite to mammoth lakes

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2005, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be travelling from Yosemite in April to Las Vegas but would like to visit Mammoth Lakes ,Mono Lake and Death valley on the way. I know that route 120 will be closed so is there another route we can take? If so where would you recommend stopping overnight.
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 11:11 AM

You could go over the passes on Hwy 80 or 50. Those are both north of Yosemite, but the bonus is seeing Lake Tahoe. I don't know of any southern passes over the mountains until you get really far south.
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 12:04 PM

There are many passes but whether they will be open will depend on how much snow we get this winter & spring and what time in April you will be traveling.

The closest pass is Sonora Pass Hwy 108 and then Ebbetts Pass Hwy 4 but both are closed for the winter. I know that they have started plowing Ebbetts pass as early as the first week in April.

Carson Pass Hwy 88 would be the next pass and it is subject to closure because of snow.

Next is Hwy 50 and then I-80. Both are open all year, except when they have heavy snow falls and it can snow enought to close the passes in April, so check before you leave. Here is a website that will keep you up todate on the road conditions and there is also a toll free number.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/

All the passes are beautiful drives! Some are windier than others!

Utahtea
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 12:27 PM

We've had so much snow so far this season, that unless it is a REALLY mild March/April, it is very likely none of the southern passes (Ebbetts, Sonora, Tioga) will be open in April.

Going north to 50 or 80 would be OK but way out of your way. I'd just wait until a couple of weeks before your trip and check the current conditions. Have a good plan B in mind.
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 01:00 PM

Yep, that's what I meant - I don't know of any southern passes that would definitely be open in April, esspecially with all the snow we've had
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the speedy replies.We will need to rethink our itinerary if the passes are closed.We arrive in SF on 2nd April and plan to visit Yosemite on 4th hopefully for 2 nights.We are travelling on to Las vegas and had hoped to take in Death Valley and the Grand Canyon before flying home on the 12th.Any advice would be greatly appreciated on routes and driving times.
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 07:10 PM
mpf

As was suggested, you could leave Yosemite, head north to Hwy 50 and visit Lake Tahoe. And, perhaps take a short flight from Reno to Las Vegas; see Grand Canyon - possibly including a side trip to Sedona.
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 09:41 PM

I would suggest just taking the southern route after Yosemite. You could detour north from the main highway up to Death Valley, but Mono Lake and Mammoth might be a bit far. To the north, Hwy 88 over Carson Pass is the nearest route kept open during the winter; it only closes temporarily during heavy storms.