Search

From Texas to Colorado

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2016, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From Texas to Colorado

hello all,
im traveleing from dallas tx to durango co in late march.
i have one question
would you rather drive up through Kansas, staying in Lawrence KS on my way,

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Dall...2d37.27528!3e0

or would you rather drive through new mexico (the usual route) staying in Albuquerque,

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Dall...667!2d37.27528

i know its a longer drive through kansas, but it seems like i might have more to look at, and im not too worried about time.
Old Jan 26th, 2016, 05:12 PM

OMG, do not go to Kansas "for more to look at"!! I think you are pulling our leg!! LOL
Old Jan 26th, 2016, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

lol not pullin any legs, totally serious question as ive never been through either state. i know kansas is lots of "small towns" but new mexico just sounds like lots of dessert my reason to detour through kansas would be for a concert, so the extra drive time is justified. but im still unsure which would be a better "drive" and if its worth it to miss anything in new mexico lol. hoping someone on here could convince me one way or the other.
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 03:29 AM

Kansas is a lot of, well, Kansas, but if you have a concert you can't miss, do it.
The American West is wonderful and large--the Great Plains are called that for a reason!! I have driven to Denver many times straight through Missouri and Kansas--AND eastern Colorado. Not as many small towns as just long stretches of interstate. I first learned about books on tape on that first drive.
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 04:37 AM

I love the New Mexico route, gorgeous scenery and history.
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 06:06 AM

So glad Sylvia can say from experience!
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 06:06 AM

So glad Sylvia can say from experience!
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 06:34 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
At first I thought you were pulling our legs too. I agree with Gretchen: if you have a concert to go to then that settles it.

On the other hand, I'm one of the people who find interest in the Great Plains, but mostly if you get off the interstates and onto the smaller state or county roads. There is always something quirky, interesting, or unusual to see. Google the book "West of Last Chance", photographs from west Texas, west Kansas, and eastern Colorado and maybe you'll see what I mean. In the words of author Kent Haruf, the Great Plains are a country that “isn’t pretty, but it’s beautiful.”

In any case, your Kansas route has you going near La Junta Colorado. Well worth going there to visit Bents Old Fort on the way.
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 06:41 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
If you decide not to go to the concert and still want to see a lot of Kansas, try US 400 west out of Wichita and go to see Dodge City. Last March I drove across most of Kansas to go find the oldest geocache still active (Mingo).
Kansas is more interesting than west Texas through San Angelo. Been there, done that with a daughter at Goodfellow AFB. Best thing I saw at Goodfellow was 2 Migs.
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 07:49 AM

What does that mean, Gretchen?
Are you suggesting that I haven't driven the route?
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 07:54 AM

For the record, I used to work in the oil patch in Texas (Houston and Dallas), and drove up to visit friends several times.
I also have driven roundtrip from Denver to Taos, Santa Fe, and thence to White Sands multiple times.
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

awesome, doesnt sound like anyone thinks ill be missing out on much approaching durango from the south through new mexico. i think ill be taking the kansas appraoch from the east instead and catch my concert.
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 08:42 AM

NO NO. I haven't done the drive so I was glad someone could really tell from experience. Goodness! ;o)

Not sure why OP thinks we said Kansas was good, but a concert is a concert. I will warn you that when you get to the CO line from Kansas you have some of THE most boring country (just because you are in CO doesn't mean you are in Denver!!). It is 6 hours to Denver--not sure if you need to go that way.

We have driven from Denver to Durango and it is a nice drive.
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 09:05 AM

Ah, thanks Gretchen!

BTW, jwstipes, I'm someone who thinks you'll be missing out on fantastic scenery and history; but if there's an event you want to attend, not sure why you even asked?
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

i asked because ive never made either drive, and have no idea what id be missing out on either way. was looking for someone to tell me if there was something along the new mexico route that id truly be missing out on, and if there was anything along the kansas route that maybe id be able to see. if the new mexico pros outweigh the concert, id choose the shorter route.
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 10:08 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
BTW, for late March keep an eye on the weather in eastern Colorado. That could be a deciding factor. Some of the worst driving conditions I've had have been in April on the Colorado plains, but sometimes those storms don't make it farther south.

Is it a round trip, come back through New Mexico?

In any case have a great trip.
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Nelson, and everyone else for the advice.
decided im thinking about it too much and went ahead and bought my ticket. any kansas food tips?
Old Jan 28th, 2016, 02:43 AM

Where's the concert? BBQ, of course.
Old Jan 28th, 2016, 05:09 AM

Going through Kansas makes sense, but unless there is a particular reason that you want to visit Lawrence, I wouldn't go that far east. It adds several hours. Go north from Wichita.

Depending on your interests, here are some cool things that will be fairly close to your route:

Kansas Cosmosphere and Space Center In Hutchinson. You would never expect this in Kansas, but it is world class with things like the Apollo 13 command capsule, Mercury 7 which was recovered from the bottom of the ocean and the largest collection of Russian space memorabilia outside the former Soviet Union.

Stratica, a museum in a working salt mine, 650 below ground. The only one of its kind in the western hemisphere.

Monument Rocks are 70 feet tall sedimentary formations of Niobrara Chalk which rise out of the plains on privately owned range land. The contrast is amazing and they are undeveloped, so it feels like you discovered something. Visit the nearby Keystone gallery if you like art or archeology. Castle Rock Badlands is another similar spot.

Lucas is the Grassroots Art Capital of Kansas. With a museum devoted to folk art and several other neat folk art installations within walking distance. The best known is the Garden of Eden.

This page is devoted to unique local restaurants across Kansas: http://www.kansastravel.org/kansasrestaurants.htm
Old Jan 28th, 2016, 06:42 AM

I-70 west from Lawrence does have, from time to time, some nice scenery and it is a great road. That said, plan to exit to see some interesting sites (let us know if you have particular interests).

FWIW, the KU campus in Lawrence is worth a drive through. Lawrence's downtown gets a lot of rave reviews (shopping/dining). There is an art museum and a natural history museum on campus. Haven't been to either in a long time. Neither are huge, but may be worth a stop.

Heading west, the State Capitol may be one of the most beautiful in the country. They spent bajillions on it over the last decade or so and it really is worth a tour. Topeka has a history museum west of town that is interesting, particularly depending on the traveling exhibits.

Here is another restaurant list, many of them are in towns along i-70. Now I'm hungry.

http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/kansa...ket-list-food/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -