Reload this Page >

From SF to Santa Cruz

Search

From SF to Santa Cruz

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2002, 06:13 AM
James

From SF to Santa Cruz

Hi, Me and a friend (from England) will be travelling through California in the beginning of Sept. Whilst there we plan to; Go to a winery (or five!)go surfing and go to a drive-in movie theatre. Does anyone have any recommendations either north of SF or south to Santa Cruz of the above. Thanks in advance!

Old May 20th, 2002, 08:02 AM
Susan

James, a drive-in! I wish I could point you to the Winchester Drive-In where I spent many a night while in high school, but it has sadly met it's demise, as have most of the drive-ins in California. You really have to get to the outlying areas to find them anymore. However, you are in luck in Santa Cruz. The Skyview Drive-In on Soquel Drive is still in operation.

Perhaps you'd like to stay in Santa Cruz for a few nights to fit in the surf lessons as well. There are also many small and lovely wineries in the Santa Cruz mountains. It doesn't compare to the wine country of Napa and Sonoma, but if you are in the neighborhood you might want to hit a couple. Have a look at www.santacruz.winecountry.com.

For lodging, I'd recommend the Westcoast Hotel on the beach next to the boardwalk in Santa Cruz. Something tells me you'd also enjoy a day at the boardwalk, with it's old 1924 roller coaster. Have fun!

Old May 20th, 2002, 08:59 AM
gail

We like the West Coast also. It used to be called Dream Inn. Unfortunately along with the name change came $259.00 per night prices! No trip there would be complete with out a trip to nearby Capitola to Gayle's Bakery. The have incredible pastries and lunches in a casual atmosphere.

Old May 20th, 2002, 09:14 AM
James

Susan and Gail; thanks very much for your hints. We are backpacking so won't be able to afford that! The West Coast sounds like a great place to go. Will the weather be any good round there? Also, something from my adolescent past; Is the boardwalk in Santa Cruz, the very same boardwalk featured in the "Lost Boys"? Also, am i nowhere near the Napa Valley when down near Santa Cruz?

Thank you!

Old May 20th, 2002, 09:23 AM
Susan

James, yes! The Lost Boys was filmed at the Santa Cruz boardwalk. Um, you might want to get your hands on a good map. Santa Cruz is about 50 miles south of San Francisco and Napa is about 50 miles north of San Francisco. You'll probably want to base yourself in each place for a few days. Will you have a car? You'll kinda need one for the drive-in. Beginning of September should be good for weather. The coastal areas of Northern California are not at their best in the summer months. It actually warms up in September. Plus the crowds will be diminished. Try and hit Napa wine country during week days to avoid the crowded weekends.

Old May 20th, 2002, 09:46 AM
x

Susan's right, especially about the Napa crowds. September is crowded on the weekends as you get closer to the crush. It is usually very beautiful there in September.

other drive-ins if you're in the area:

Concord (Contra Costa County) California
Solano Drive-in Theatre: 925-825-1951
1611 Solano Way (Solano-A exit off Hwy.4)

San Jose (Santa Clara County) California
Capitol Drive-in Theatre: 408-226-2251
located at 3630 Hillcap Avenue;
(Capitol Expressway & Monterey Road)

Check out this web site for drive in info:
http://classicfilm.about.com/gi/dyna...veinmovie.com/

Old May 20th, 2002, 10:17 AM
James

Yes, we will have a car so no worries on the drive-in thing! Thanks for all the info, a massive help!