From New Jersey to NYC

Old Jun 19th, 1999, 05:44 PM
ELANE

From New Jersey to NYC

My daughter's company is transferring her from Boise to Secaucus N.J. not far from New York City. She wants us (her mother and 15-year-old brother) to come visit for Christmas. I live in a small town and have been to NYC only one day many, many years ago. Am very excited. Would like to go sightseeing in NYC, but wonder what it's like that time of year. Is there public transportation from Secaucus (or close) into NY or should we take a taxi (about how much does it cost?). Are subways easy to get around on? Any special attractions in the week between Christmas and New Years? Enjoy museums, art galleries, and just looking and people watching ... Have a guide book I've been studying, but ersonal suggestions most welcome. Thanks!

Old Jun 19th, 1999, 07:19 PM
Beverly

Hello, Elane. Coming to NYC from NJ, especially Secaucus, should not be a problem as there are many commuters who take the train or bus in daily. Christmas is a wonderful time to be here as the city will be beautifully decorated and many holiday events going on. Try to see the Christmas show at Radio City Music Hall or, if you can get tickets soon, the Nutcracker ballet. The area around Rockefeller Center would be a great place to stroll and shop, your son could ice-skate there, too, and visit NBC Studios, eat at Planet Hollywood, Hard Rock Cafe, or Sports Cafe. You'll find museums galore on the east side of Central Park, our museum mile. Have a great holiday!

Old Jun 19th, 1999, 07:20 PM
Beverly

Hello, Elane. Coming to NYC from NJ, especially Secaucus, should not be a problem as there are many commuters who take the train or bus in daily. Christmas is a wonderful time to be here as the city will be beautifully decorated and many holiday events going on. Try to see the Christmas show at Radio City Music Hall or, if you can get tickets soon, the Nutcracker ballet. The area around Rockefeller Center would be a great place to stroll and shop, your son could ice-skate there, too, and visit NBC Studios, eat at Planet Hollywood, Hard Rock Cafe, or Sports Cafe. You'll find museums galore on the east side of Central Park, our museum mile. Have a great holiday!

Old Jun 20th, 1999, 09:04 AM
Bernard

Xmas in NYC is a fantastic experience. I agree with Beverly's suggestions. The Xmas show at Radio City Music Hall is very popular, get tickets as early as possible. Walk up 5th ave (from 42nd to 60th st)day or night then take a horse drawn carriage ride through central park. Take the 15 yr. old to Jekyll & Hyde restaurant for dinner, Ice skating and the Xmas tree at Rockefeller Center.
There are frequent scheduled commuter buses from Secaucus NJ to the Port Authority bus terminal in NY but I don't think they run all day and I don't remember the bus fare (about $8 r/t). Taxi from Secaucus to NYC is expensive. Getting around NY by Taxi or car can be difficult, especially during rush hour. During Xmas season it's worse. When in NY take the subway,(Subway & street maps are essential. Get them before arriving )walk, take a taxi (but beware of possible extensive traffic jams.) - DON'T BRING A CAR.
If you are really adventouros, join the the million or so people at Times Square to watch the ball drop on New Year's Eve.
American Museum of Natural History on 72nd & Central Park West is a must.
Try the Web site www.sidewalk.com for more info.
Enjoy!

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 04:41 PM
native

Agree with most of what has been said, but do yourself a favor, do not go to Hard Rock, Planet Hollywood, etc. Having grown up in the NY area and lived in Manhattan for the past 9 years, I continue to be dismayed at the lemming-like procession to these places which are essentially identical to the dozens that have opened all over the place. If you want to eat some place touristy, go for something that is somewhat more uniquely New York. The Carnegie Deli is a perfect example. Same attitude and Pastrami as ever right in the heart of midtown. Or even head down to Chinatown and try the steamed buns at a place called Joe's Shanghai. The soupy treats would be great in December and you get to see a different part of the city which could be combined with some time in Soho which is nearby. Plan to see some different parts of the city. Ride the subway. If you get confused people will be surprisingly helpful. While midtown provides much for most tourists, the crowds would probably get to be annoying if you spent too much time there that time of year.

Old Jun 22nd, 1999, 01:58 PM
John

Could not agree with the "native" any more. Don't go to the themed restaurants - you can visit them back home. Go for the NY experiences. Try a Grays Papaya hot dog, stop at a deli and check Zagats guides. Rockefeller Center is crazy that time of year but a must. Enjoy - NY is wonderful!

Old Jun 22nd, 1999, 02:04 PM
Dawn

Couldn't agree with "Native" more. Avoid these places. Having been once, I vowed to never go back. They are so contrived, I like Mom&Pop places,or institutions that have history, or that offer something or some experience worthwhile. Don't bother!

Old Jun 22nd, 1999, 05:24 PM
hamlet

From Secaucus the bus is easy. You may also want to try the ferry from a nearby town called Weehawken which is right on the Hudson River. You can probably get some great pictures during the crossing. And when the ferry arrives in NY I think there are a variety of shuttle buses to take you to convenient areas in the city.