COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

From Carolina to Buffalo ...

Old May 15th, 2006, 03:25 PM
bonniebroad

From Carolina to Buffalo ...

Are you guys ready for *Hurricanes* .... if you know what I mean???

GO 'CANES!!!

Old May 16th, 2006, 05:32 AM

Bonnie, Bonnie, Bonnie........We don't get hurricanes in Buffalo, just remnants.....if you know what I mean???

I guarantee your 'canes will blow into Buffalo and lose strength quickly, just like a real one.

GO SABRES!!!!!!!!!!

Old May 16th, 2006, 06:00 AM
bonniebroad

BuffaloGirl, BuffaloGirl, BuffaloGirl .... I just don't think so!

You know, our teams play so much alike ... this should be fun, fun, fun!

GO HURRICANES!!!

Old May 16th, 2006, 06:09 AM

I reside in Charlotte but have been a Sabres fan for a very long time. Go Sabres !! & of course I'll root for the winner in the finals.
Old May 16th, 2006, 02:53 PM

Bonnie, enjoy the game Saturday!

LET'S GO, BUFFALO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old May 16th, 2006, 06:04 PM

I have tickets to games 3 and 6 in Buffalo. Let's go Sabres!! I hope that all of the Buffalonians who have moved to the Carolinas go to cheer on the Sabres and wipe out any home ice advantage for the Hurricanes.
Old May 16th, 2006, 06:27 PM
bonniebroad

KathyK, don't get your hopes up there ... You haven't been in a "Hurricanes house" here! The loudest in the NHL, I understand. We'll be nice to the (handful of) Buffalo transplants, but ....... you'll never hear them! (The great Martin Brodeur said last week that it was really difficult to play here! )

It should be a fabulous series ... I'm really looking forward to it!

Old May 16th, 2006, 06:30 PM

KathyK, you lucky girl!
Old May 16th, 2006, 06:32 PM

Yes Bonnie, I know what you mean...

In Buffalo, we get BLIZZARDS... BLIZZARDS equals ICE... ICE equals FREEZE... FREEZE equals HOCKEY...

In Carolina, you get Hurricanes... Hurricanes equal WIND BLOWING... WIND BLOWING equals SLUSH... SLUSH is hard to skate on....

Therefore.... SABRES WIN!!!!!!!!

I know that's what you meant...
Old May 16th, 2006, 06:40 PM

Bonnie, I don't know.........I think KathyK and I would argue with you on that claim!

Buffalo and hockey are synonymous. It's a way of life here!!!!

Raleigh and hockey? Sigh.

You are right...this should be FUN!

Old May 16th, 2006, 06:50 PM

Bonnie, I predict more than a handful of Buffalo transplants. You'd be surprised how loyal Buffalonians are. And what's with the Hurricanes limiting sales of tickets to buyers only in N.C. and border states?

Old May 16th, 2006, 07:32 PM
bonniebroad

KathyK, the only thing I've heard regarding play-off tickets is that people who put down deposits toward season tickets for next year get priority on the best seats for the play-offs. Otherwise, there is no restriction that I'm aware of.

BuffaloGirl, actually it's the national broadcasters who come here (and the teams themselves) who've proclaimed the Hurricanes' house the loudest in the NHL, not me. But you're right about it not being hockey country here ... people are just getting used to having a hockey team, and they're far more interested in college basketball and NASCAR! BUT ........ every play-off game has been a sell-out, and the fan base is growing. And, you see, we know how to make some noise here ... think ACC basketball!!!

Now if I can just get my husband to buy me that Rod Brind'Amour jersey ($289) for my birthday ...

GO 'CANES!!!

Old May 16th, 2006, 07:46 PM

Bonnie, According to the Buffalo News, there was a message on the Carolina Hurricanes web site to buy tickets for the first two games as follows: "Sales to this event will be restricted to residents of bordering states, with residency based on credit card address. Orders by residents outside of this area will be canceled without notice and refunds given."
Old May 16th, 2006, 08:06 PM
bonniebroad

KathyK, it isn't on their website now, and I didn't notice it when I searched for tickets a couple of times since the weekend. I haven't heard anything like that so I can't comment ...

Old May 18th, 2006, 05:52 PM

Bonniebroad....word has it that Buffalo fans were able to buy tix to the Raleigh home games....Impossible here, because they sold out in 14 minutes!!!

Are you in the mood for a "friendly" bet? I believe (in a previous post) you asked me what sponge candy is. I'll send you some if we lose......... are you game?

Good luck Hurricanes, but............ GO SABRES!!!
Old May 18th, 2006, 05:58 PM

I just had to chime in - Bonnie, sponge candy is so heavenly, you should definitely consider a friendly wager. What could you send to Buffalogirl if the Hurricanes lose though? Barbecue sauce maybe?

Go sabres!
Old May 18th, 2006, 06:05 PM

Sponge candy is THE favorite of every female in my family (My Mom, her daughters and grandaughters). While I hope that Buffalo Girl doesn't have to pay her bet, I hope that some day Bonnie gets to experience it. Go Sabres! I have to go to a bridal shower on Saturday from 12-3 and am trying to figure out how to leave before the 2:00 faceoff.
Old May 18th, 2006, 06:36 PM
bonniebroad

Okay, BuffaloGirl!!! You're ON! Will let you know what I'll send you if .................. well, you know :-< ................. but that would NEVER HAPPEN!

I'm going to the Yadkin Valley Wine Festival Saturday afternoon, so will set my DVR for the game, then try to get back to Raleigh without accidentally hearing what happened!!! (Well, of course, the 'Canes will win .... I just don't know by HOW MUCH! )

Be creative, KathyK! You'll think of something ...

GO 'CANES!!!!!!!!!!

Old May 19th, 2006, 05:17 AM
bonniebroad

BuffaloGirl, as to what I'll send you from Carolina ... do you look good in red and white?

Have you started packing that Sponge candy for *moi* yet???

Old May 19th, 2006, 06:01 AM
bonniebroad

Yikes! What I meant to say above, BuffaloGirl, was IF I were going to send you something, which, of course, I will not need to ...

Here's a link to an excellent article posted on espn.com (though you won't agree with the last few sentences, I think you'll agree it's a good article about the teams ...):

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playof...ott&id=2448988

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO