From Bryce NP to Sedona

Old Mar 14th, 2007, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
From Bryce NP to Sedona

I will be driving from Bryce NP to Sedona in June.

The drive will be done in one day and I hope to stop several times in the last 15 miles to explore the Oak Creek sights en route.

Assuming I leave Bryce about 8AM which if any of Antelope Canyon, Horseshoe Bend, GC South Rim will I have time for?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Old Mar 14th, 2007, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i would try plugging your trip into goodle maps (they now have a multiple stop feature) and see how long it will take you. then you can decide how much time you will have to spare.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

I know the driving part from Bryce to Sedona thru Page is about 6 hours.

I'm just wondering if I add an hour or so to the last 15 miles to make that about 7 hours, will I be able to include any of Antelope Canyon, Horseshoe Bend or the South Rim?
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 03:26 PM
TheWeasel

You'll have about 13-14 hours of daylight, so if you are willing to get up early (possibly to watch sunrise at Bryce) and then hit the road you'd give yourself plenty of time to make some stops.

I don't think Horseshoe Bend is too far off the highway, and I don't think it takes too long to walk over to the edge. Antelope Canyon has tours at various time slots, so you'd have to factor that in.

As for the Grand Canyon, somewhere on here somebody said that the road from the east entrance (Desert View) to the south entrance was one-way in summer, but I've never been able to confirm that verifiably and I've never tried to drive it in summer. Assuming that road is open, if I were you I'd make a great effort to drive it and stop at some viewpoints. It's much more spectacular than the drive through Oak Creek Canyon IMO.

So, if you leave Bryce an hour after sunrise, allow yourself an hour for Oak Creek plus an additional 6 hours for the rest of the drive, that gives you 5 or so hours for the other 3 things. I'm guessing Horseshoe Bend would be maybe an hour, Antelope Canyon is probably 2 hours or so, and that gives you 2 hours to see the Grand Canyon. Not really enough time, so if you can skip something or leave earlier you'd do more justice to the Grand Canyon.

Old Mar 15th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Weasel,

Thanks a lot. You're making it seem like a lot is possible.

I'm into photography and I think I've upped GC in priority. I can change plans on-the-fly as I see how the drive is going.

Thanks again.
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you're interested in Antelope, take a look at Buckskin Gulch which is right off 89 on the way to Page. It's an amazing slot canyon hike (which you can make short or long) and you don't need a guide as you do in Antelope...
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 03:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Traveller122,

I'll look into it.