Frisco, CO with children in June

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last summer,– we visited Colorado for the first time. Thanks to advice from awesome Fodorites we enjoyed Silverthorne Recreation Center (every community should be so lucky!), RMNP, Denver – REI Store, Zoo and Mint, Breckenridge Adventure Park, Watching the skiers in June in Arapahoe, Glenwood Springs, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Ouray (Switzerland of America Jeep Tour – ask for Dave!), Independence Pass, Buena Vista (went for balloon festival but we couldn’t find it!), Leadville (Main Street, Baby Doe Tabor’s house and The Grill - thank you Virginia), Minturn Market (all the makings for a great picnic, live music, just wonderful!), Steamboat Springs (hot springs in the woods and alpine slide), Teva Games in Vail.

This summer we are coming back for a month in Frisco. Our plans include a rafting trip (will have to be an easy float trip as we have a 4 year old), Biking Vail Pass, Colorado Springs (Garden of the Gods, Pikes Peak, maybe Olympic Center and Air Force Academy?), day trips to RMNP, Great Sand Dunes National Park, Aspen (Maroon Bells), and a side trip to Moab. Would love to go back to Ouray area but we are going to wait until our youngest is a bit older so we can also enjoy Mesa Verde.

I'm hoping someone can suggest easy hikes for young children similar to the Lower Cataract Lake hike? The kids loved the easy 2 mile hike, the wildflowers, waterfall, and playing in the lake. Also – suggestions for stops on the drive to Great Sand Dunes National Park? And anything else we missed the first time around that we really shouldn't miss this time. Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Old Mar 29th, 2007, 06:20 AM

hi C, wow you really got to see and do quite a lot. i am SO glad you enjoyed the grill.
be careful planning your raft trip. june & july are very high, fast water -especially this year with the high snow pack. would it be possible to find a sitter for the 4 yr old that day? here's the name of a very good company out of buena vista: http://www.whitewater-rafting-colorado.com/ i would call and ask them about age restrictions and safety.
now about those balloons. lol - open valley - you'd think you would just see them... possibly wrong day??
in co spgs i would at least stop at the air force academy to see the chapel. the olympic center is interesting if teams are actually there training and you can get access to watch them. i think you have to know somebody - not positive. they have a tour, but it's to the hall of fame, etc.
on your way to the sand dunes stop at villa grove hot springs, about 15 miles south of salida.
on your way to moab you might enjoy viewing a/or hiking the colorado national monument at grand junction. it's sort of a mini grand canyon. very beautiful. here's a link: http://www.visitgrandjunction.com/
in the northwest corner of co is dinosaur national monument. pretty cool area. you can camp there. and who doesn't love dinosaurs.
not sure what's on the red rocks concert schedule this year but shows there are memorable no matter who you see. the view over the stage is of all the twinkling lights of denver.
i'll try to think of more...
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 07:09 AM
MaureenB

There's a nice hike/walk at Maroon Bells that your little one could do. You drive up and park at the lot, then you'll see where the trail begins. It's flat and open, with amazing views of the Maroon Bells and surrounding peaks. There's a little lake there, too. Also a bridge over a little stream. If you walk far enough, there's a waterfall.
>-

Old Mar 29th, 2007, 08:27 AM

There is also Mt. Princeton Hot Springs in Nathrop a little south of Buena Vista. They have regular pools and also pools down in the river (where the hot springs come in). Always love sitting in the warm water watching the cold water of the river rush by.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 09:04 AM

For the days you stay in Summit County, check out Sports Authority in Dillon. They have a small Summit Hikes book that gives you loads of local hikes with info about the difficulty, history, and other interesting facts about the area.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the replies.
Maureen thank you for the hike tip - sounds great. I have the book Best Hikes with Children and it is great - but so hard to choose. Love the ideas for stops on the way to Sand Dunes too. Thank you. Virginia - I followed your advice like gospel last year and it worked out perfectly so I'll certainly be including the places you mentioned (and heading back to the Grill!).

We did tour Red Rocks last year and a concert there would be an experience to remember. Michael Franki and Spearfish have a concert scheduled while we are there - and it says "all ages." Is that right? Can I take a 4 year old to a concert at Red Rocks? And one other question - Is the Great Sand Dunes Nat Park a day trip from Frisco or will we need to overnight?
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 08:17 PM

If a Red Rocks concert is called "all ages," no alcohol will be served and definitely not allowed to be brought in - other than the late hour, no problem bringing a child.

It would be about a 3-4 hour drive to Sand Dunes from Frisco, so I don't think that's an easily doable daytrip.