Friday the 13th questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2006, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, somebody pointed out today is not only Friday the 13th, but also a full moon. Do they always go together - Friday the 13th falls only on full moon, or is it a coincidence?

Also, what do superstitious people do on this day?
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 09:25 AM

All sources I've seen say the full moon is Jan. 14.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 09:38 AM

The full moon is in the early morning hours of Saturday, January 14.

And definitely Friday the 13th can happen and not coincide with a full moon. Mathematically it wouldn't make sense that they'd always be together - they are completely unrelated to each other. A moon cycle is roughly 29 days, and whether or not the 13th falls on Friday is related to the calendar year, based on our orbit around the sun. The two are unrelated.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 09:39 AM

Actually, I'll modify my statement. The full moon is in the early hours of the AM for the continental US. It's at 11:49pm in Honolulu. Check www.sunrisesunset.com for more info. Play around with different locations and you'll see it change.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 09:42 AM

Faina, I don't know if this means anything, but it's foggy here and I feel like howling!

Old Jan 13th, 2006, 09:45 AM
TheWeasel

I don't know, but I think the moon will look full enough tonight to count as a full moon, even if it technically isn't.

But as for superstitious people, I think they stay in bed and pull the covers over the head. I hadn't even realized it was Friday the 13th until you posted, so I must be about as unsuperstitious as they come. I have heard about people refusing to travel on this day, and not scheduling any major appointments/meetings, etc. because of the "bad" luck risk.

Old Jan 13th, 2006, 09:46 AM
P_M

How funny, stw!! I tend to do my best yodeling when there's a full moon. But DH says there's a fine line between howling and my yodeling.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 09:49 AM
P_M

TheWeasel, we were posting at the same time. A couple of years ago my supervisor and I were supposed to take a business trip, but she postponed it upon realizing we would be flying on Fri. 13. I thought this was ridiculous and I told her so. I asked if she drives a car on Fri. 13 and she said yes. I pointed out that she's a lot more likely to be in a car wreck than a plane crash. But she was the boss, so we took our trip another time.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 09:55 AM

My husband was born on Friday, May 13th by emergency c-section. My dear, dear MIL thought it was the best day ever. I would have to agree. No superstition here
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 09:58 AM

I won 50 bucks once on a Friday the 13th. Since that moment, I deemed the day 'good' and used that power in a forthright manner.

Regarding the full moon... after working in the medical world for several years, call it what you want, but we at the hospital always 'knew' when the full moon was amongst. No one needed to consult a calendar, it was apparent, lol.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 10:28 AM
JJ5

My one and only daughter was born on Friday the 13th, February 1970. It took 2 hours total. My first baby took 3 full days and weighed 10 lbs. and was 23 inches long. I then had to have reconstructive surgery and was in the hospital for 4 days from that alone. That was in the days before c-sections were done routinely. That son was 6 foot 5 inches by sophomore year of high school. I'm 5'2" on a good day.

Everyone asked why I didn't wait until Valentine's Day. I was so super happy that day. Ha-ha. I LOVE Friday the 13th. It was probably the happiest day of my life all around.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

In USSR I lived in apartment #13.

In USA I live in a building #1040 (and if this number doesn't tell you anything, you are not paying federal taxes!!)

Which one is worse

SeeTheWorld, where is it foggy too? I live in San Francisco, is there any foggier place?
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 11:11 AM

Faina, San Francisco wins hands down with the fog. But where I live, in northern Westchester, NY, we can have some dense fog. Our weather is changing, and not for the better, I might add. All the more reason to howl, lol
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 11:41 AM

Seetheworld, LOL re: your first "howling " post. Then...amazing! I was just about to write that Friday the 13th has been a wonderful day for me since giving birth to my son, via C section, on Friday the 13th (of October)...when I read about your husband and JJ5's son!! Special greetings for Friday the 13th parents!
STW, mysister lives across the Hudson in Rockland County, so I know what you mean about the fog in NY.
Tiff, too true about hospitals. While the date is personally great for me, I'm glad not to be working tonight! Nothing quite like a "sundowner" patient on Friday the 13th!
jlm_mi, thank you for the info and website.
P_M, more LOL re: DH's comment. Next time I hear howling of any kind, I'l wonder if it's actually a nearby yodeler.
Faina, trust you to start a fun thread like this.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 11:48 AM
GoTravel

Y'all, I think this week has been really really freaky and I've had so much bad news I'm afraid to post.

Found out Monday my beloved stepfather has cancer. My real father passed away so long ago he is the only father I've ever known as an adult.

One of my best friend's fathers died Tuesday.

My husband's best friend and business partner with whom we are both very close, his long time girlfriend's dad died yesterday. We are also close to her and her family.

Just the pall of the sadness and this horrible fog we've had the past two days along with all the sickness and death is so hard to take.

I hope this is it for a while.

Old Jan 13th, 2006, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

GoTravel, cyberhugs ><
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 12:04 PM

It is my baby boys Birthday so All January 13s are fine with us

What will we do today?

Going out tonight to celebrate the boys birthday, even though he is celebrating it in Japan
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 12:18 PM

It's funny someone should mention the full moon effect. There have been over 100 studies done which examine the correlation between a full moon and all sorts of nasty things (see link below). None of them found a significant correlation. Yet, many people -- even cops and ER personnel -- continue to believe this myth despite the lack of data to support it. Very interesting.

http://www.skepdic.com/fullmoon.html
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 12:25 PM

JJ5, sorry, i just realized it was your daughter, not son, who was born Friday 13th. Congratualtions on BOTH kids!!
Scarlett, enjoy his from-afar birthday. After all, every birthday of children is an anniversary-of-parenthood celebration.
GoTravel, a New Year isn't supposed to start with so much sadness! Adding thoughts and cyberhugs and prayers for you and your family.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 12:26 PM

We here in the pacific NW have no clue where we are in the lunar cycle. We haven't seen it, or the sun, for the last month. Is it still a full moon if you can't see it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -