Search

French Quarter survives with minimal damage

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2005, 06:13 AM
cd
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
French Quarter survives with minimal damage

This is an article in today's newspaper. It states that most restaurants received little water damage. Brennan's and Cafe ju Monde and Praline Connection survived. Jackson Square is untouched. On Bourbon street, the clubs Hurricane City, Barely Legal and Fat Catz survived. St Louis Cemetery No.1 was flooded but plots and structures weren't damaged.
Just wanted to share a little bit of good news.
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 06:21 AM

In fact, here's an interesting article about how a group of people survived in the French Quarter:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9208714/
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 06:27 AM

There could easily be two definitions of "minimal damage". While a building may not be completely flooded. Turn off the air conditioning for a month or two in the humid conditions of New Orleans, add the ransacking done by hoodlums, and allow for sewage seeping up through the drains, and you may well find that before the restaurant can be inhabited again, all furniture, fixtures, and even drywall, moldings, wiring, plumbing, doors, windows, etc. may have to be totally replaced. In other words, gutting the entire restaurant may become necessary.
But I agree if the basic structure is left intact, that is good news.
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 12:00 PM

I'm afraid that even if most of the FQ businesses can reopen in a few weeks or a couple of months, there will be no reason because of all the surrounding disaster. It's doubtful whether tourists (other than curiosity seekers) will want to visit New Orleans within the next several months. If the only functioning businesses are some of those in the French Quarter, such a trip could be pretty dull, not to mention perhaps a bit dangerous.

I've been planning a visit to N.O. in mid-October and have had hotel reservations for quite some time. It's likely that I will cancel the trip because nothing much can be fixed in a little more than the month remaining.

Relatives of my wife and myself live (or lived) in southeastern La almost directly in the path of the storm. We get reports that there is so much damage in all the surrounding areas, that power will probably be off for many towns for one to two months. Fortunately, that kind of damage, other than the New Orleans disaster, was limited to a fairly narrow swath about 50 to 75 miles wide. But for New Orleans, I'll predict there will be no significant recovery for at least 2 years. Sad, but likely.
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 12:27 PM

They may not be tourists for some time to come, but there will be others coming to the area. Insurance adjusters and contractors will need places to stay and places to eat. We saw this after Charley last year in Port Charlotte. Although the tourists aren't there, the businesses that can recover quickly and reopen will have customers, and this will help to fuel the recovery of the entire area. Places like Brennans will most likey not be serving their regular menu, but any business they can generate is important both the recovery of the local economy and to feed and house those who will be coming in the next few months.
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Kal

I keep checking in to see if the webcams are up and running. [-o<

www.nola.com/bourbocam/
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 01:42 PM

Kal, wouldn't the webcams need power to be running?
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 02:11 PM

I saw a blurb on CNN today about the Southern Decadence celebration. There was a parade through the Quarter. About 12 people involved.

I have reservations at La Maison Marigny for Quarter Fest in April. If the place is open and there is any sort of Quarter Fest at all, we'll be there.
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 03:08 PM

Patrick, that's why Kal is hoping. Hope is a good thing in these times.

Kal, I brought out a couple of photos of us enjoying breakfast at Mother's and it just broke my heart! As you always say--now it has a different meaning, though--"we'll always have NOLA."
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 04:26 PM

webcams not working due to no power...
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 09:27 PM

Folks, setting aside the screen name, this post is genuine. We care.

Ok, so after donating to my charity of choice, I couldn't sit still. I wanted to go and offer help directly, but that wasn't feasable.

Instead, I have done the only thing I know I can do quickly and effectively...build a website!

I have created a Hurricane Family Help portal located at http://www.hurricanefamilyhelp.org

1st things 1st - we DO NOT accept donations.

Here is the stated purpose:

1) To unite displaced individuals and families of hurricane Katrina with others willing to offer immediate SHORT TERM shelter.

2) To unite displaced individuals and families of hurricane Katrina with others willing to offer LONG TERM shelter.

3) To unite the survivors with family and friends.

4) To find full or part time employment opportunities for hurricane victims.

5) To provide contact information for charities, communities, and churches offering assistance.

Thank you,
Craig
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 06:18 AM
Kal

Geez, guys...no kiddin'...webcams aren't powered by little magical faeries who are first cousins to Redi Kilowatt?

I had heard earlier yesterday morning that power had been restored to sections of the FQ, CBD and the Convention Center.

Tuff board.

Mels....soon we'll always have Honolulu, too!

Jean, As soon as it's reopened, Da Kals will be there with beads on.
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 06:31 AM

Every two years I spend 8 or 10 days in NOLA, in the part of French quarter close to the French Market. Anybody knows how are Provincial Hotel, and the bakery La Marquise (my favorite places)?
I promiss to come back to NOLA as soon it will be possible.
My best wishes to Louisiana and USA!!
Alain (Paris, France)
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 06:31 AM
GoTravel

Santa's first name is Craig?

Old Sep 6th, 2005, 06:42 AM

I am w/Alain, I am scheduled to be there in December but find that possibilty not so likely now. As soon as NOLA is ready for visitors, I will be down to spend my $$ in support of the folks there.
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 09:46 AM

GT, methinks it's the same Craig from Craig's list.
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 12:10 PM

Kal--speaking of "tough crowd"--that night in NOLA when you called me from one of the bars! My friends & I went roaming around and we tried to get beads. My friend Cindy stood on the street and held her blouse open, and I stood behind her to catch the guys' attention on the 2nd floor. NO ONE WOULD LOOK AT US. We had to buy our own damn beads!
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 01:50 PM

Mellissa,
For some reason a cute blonde gave me two strands of beads and I had my shirt on! Boy was that great for this old man's ego. http://www.nola.com/beadcam/index.ssf?video When the power comes on at the Cat's meow you may want to reconect to the FQ.
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 03:03 PM
mc

Anyone know how the Garden District fared during Katrina and subsequent floods? I haven't heard specific info about that area at all.