French Market in N.O.

Jun 6th, 2001, 10:04 PM
Scott

French Market in N.O.

Someone told me that there is a huge flea market called the French Market in N.O. - can anyone tell me about it - such as times and days it is open and if it is worth going to for bargains? Thanks.

Jun 6th, 2001, 10:12 PM
abe

Don't know if it's a real flea market, but it's a real fun place to shop for souvenirs and other items. (They have t-shirts, Mardi Gras beads, hot sauces, a bit of everything.) I believe it is open everyday, somewhere around 9:00 a.m. til dark.

It's opposite Decatur Street - I'm not really sure if you're north, south, or whatever. New Orleans residents have their own way of describing directions - confused by the flow of the Mississippi River (it is called the Cresent City). Very close to Cafe du Monde.

You'll love it.

Jun 6th, 2001, 10:31 PM
Scott

Thanks, Abe for ans. my question so quickly. I was afraid that it might just be open on the weekends like the ones we have around here. We will be there during the week so am glad to hear that it is open daily. My wife and I love to go to them and thought that it might be a great place to buy some inexpensive souveniers for the family.

Jun 7th, 2001, 07:57 AM
gail

I believe I was told that while it is open every day, the best time to go for deals are on the weekends. Don't waste any money buying beads until you stop at the FM as you can get packages of 10 for a much better price than the sores.

Jun 7th, 2001, 08:14 AM
Jeannie

I was just in NO last week and shopped at the flea market on a weekday. I believe it was Wednesday or Thursday. One of the operators told me that most of the booths close around 5 pm. Sure enough, I came back by on Friday evening around 7 pm and they were all packed up.

Jun 7th, 2001, 08:25 PM
Scott

Thanks also Gail and Jeannie. I appreciate the information.

Search this Thread