Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2003, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
French Laundry Restaurant

Is there a way to obtain restaurants at French Laundry? Donna
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 02:05 PM

I think you meant "reservations". I'm afraid the short answer to your question is "NO!". Of course you can just try calling over and over again day and night trying to get through starting about 6 months or so ahead of the date you want to go.

But according to posts here the easiest ways might be to do one of the following:
1) Offer your first born child
2) Camp on their doorstep until they open and hold the reservations clerk at gunpoint until he or she promises you a reservation.
3) Have your good friend Jack Nicholson or Julia Roberts call for you.
4) Cut their phone line, then appear in person and offer to repair the phones after they promise you a reservation.
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 02:51 PM

Donna,
The French Laundry takes reservations starting two months prior to the date you would like to eat there. The telephone number is (707)944-2380. Since it is so popular, it is hard to get through on the phone and reservations go fast. Dinners (excluding wine) are about $105-120. Good luck. If you can get in, it is IMHO well worth it.
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 02:58 PM

Wow, for $120, wine (and tips?) excluded I'd learn how to cook!!
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 03:09 PM

A pilgrimage to French Laundry is primarily for impossible foodies like moi, food snobs, and trendoids. The food is very complex and not everyone's cup of tea. I do not mean this to be demeaning. Food at French Laundry is an art. This is like dining at a 3 star Michelin restaurant in France. It is food as art and food as communication. Actually, contrary to my name, I do not live for these places. If you have never been to a premier restaurant and can afford to do so, it is a once in a lifetime experience. You'll have to plan ahead or stay at a premier hotel that has a concierge that works miracles.

If you are not put off by these comments, French Laundry may be for you.
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 03:15 PM

I have not eaten there personally but have talked to people who have and the common opinion is that the food is good/great, small protions, overpriced with long, drawn out service. The first thing one does upon leaving the premises is stop by MacDonalds to satisfy the hunger.
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 04:04 PM
ET

Donna
Eating at the French Laundry is a true experience if you like outstanding food. The Chef is considered one of the best in the US. The meals are very unique, excellently prepared, combining great dishes with fantastic presentation and very good, but unobtrusive service. If you are the type of person who really enjoys fine dining, you will love the French Laundry. For someone who thinks McDonalds or Burger King make a great burger, or someone who thinks that a great meal is an all you can eat smorgy, I really doubt they would enjoy it, and they would be wasting their money to go there. As the old saying goes, to each his own.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 07:45 AM

I do think it is worth it if this kind of experience is something you are into.
I thought the food was delicious and although the portions are small, you do not leave hungry. Patrick is right on how to make reservations. Start the morning with your call and put your phone on redial. You have to call two months to the day from the day/evening you want to make reservations for. Of LilMsFoodie's description of FL folk I am probably a foodie(I like a good burger joint evey now and then)..and I thought the whole experience was grand!
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 07:58 AM

I thought they did lunch only Friday-Saturday-Sunday?No?
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 03:46 PM

You can also put your name on the waiting list, I did this when I knew I would be in town, and they called my hotel the day before I wanted to dine there and we set up a res for the next night. Someone had cancelled, so here is another way to get "inside".
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 04:47 PM

I've read this post a few times and I have one question. Where is this restaurant? Just curious.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 05:04 PM

Yountville,heart of Napa Country
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 02:53 PM
SAB

I just read that the French Laundry is going to reserve some tables for on line booking--something like 2 per night. It is another way to try. We usually stop by when we are in the area (which is frequently) and try to make a reservation for any available date--fortunately we can go whenever we can get a reservation.
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 12:18 PM

This all sounds like a hassle to me. Made me scratch this off my list for good.
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 08:42 PM

me too Bob, and I consider myself a "foodie".......nothing is that great!

There are 3 other restaurants in the same area that are excellent.
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 06:21 AM

Corina: which are....?
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 06:35 AM

OK, Cornina, you're going to earn the award for cruelty of the year if you don't spill the beans. What was the point of mentioning there are 3 great restaurants without giving their names?
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 06:49 AM

Add me to the people who beleive that the French Laundry is worth every penny. We ate there in May and it was the finest dining experience my wife and I have ever had. Truly a memorable dinner. We would not dine there every night, but for one night every three or four years, we certainly would.

For my wife and I, dining is entertainment. We are like PamSF, not a connoisseur, just enjoy good food. Would you spend $300 per ticket for front row seats to a Lakers playoff game or to an original production of The Producers? If so, you understand why people pay that much to dine at the French Laundry.

Anybody who went to McDonalds after dining at the French Laundry either has an overactive metabolism or needs to lose weight. I was stuffed, and I am 6', 215 lbs.

The wait list is a good idea. Sometimes, people cancel the last minute. Amazingly, sometimes they don't show up despite the hassle of getting the reservation. Another suggestion is to make reservations for lunch instead of dinner.

For those of you who have scratched the French Laundry off your to do list, remember as Plutach said "The best things are the most difficult."
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 07:22 AM
Kal

Right in Yountville, the 3 others that leap to mind and are close by the FL are Napa Valley Grille, Bistro Jeanty, Bouchon's.
While very nice, they are not the FL.

I'm STILL trying to get reservations there. You have to do it at least once.
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 09:03 AM

I didn't mean to offend anyone.

No doubt about it, the French Laundry is definitely a cut above the rest and should be experienced at least once. I've eaten there 3 times (through some influential friends).

Personally IMHO, any restaurants that take more than 2 phone calls to obtain a reservation for, usually aren't worth it to me. There are just too many incredible restaurants w/fresh, young, innovative chefs in the Bay Area/Napa/Sonoma to experience (most of which have yet to be reviewed).

Donna - The FL will offer online booking through www.opentable.com . A table for 2 at 6:30pm and a table for 4 at 9:30pm each day. Two tables for lunch will be open Fri, Sat or Sun.

Yes Kal, you named 2 of my favorites....did you know that the Chef from NVG (after 9 yrs), has now opened his own restaurant at the location where LiveFire in Yountville used to be? Brochettes of pancetta wrapped quail & sausage? Baby beet salad w/orange, fennel, endive, toasted pecans & goat cheese fritters????? mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -