Freeport or Brunswick area lodgings

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're travelling to Maine mid-May, 2007 and looking for a place to stay. The Maine Idyll looks like a great place for our extended family to have some space (several cabins), privacy and room to relax. Most reviews say it is well-priced, clean, friendly and comfortable. One says there's traffic noise and others do not. Clean and comfy are my biggest hot buttons. Casual is fine - and the more we can save on lodgings the more we have to spend on shopping and lobster! Any help would be quite appreciated!
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 03:35 AM

Sorry, we usually camp but just want to recommend Brunswick area over Freeport simply because of the proximity to some great lobster places. Five Islands, Estes in South Harpswell, and north to Waterman's Beach next to Rockland. Don't underestimate travel time to the lobster places that tend to be out at the end of a point. We would aim for lunch, do exploring before and after and then be back at the campground to relax etc. Keep in mind Brunswick is a college town and might be extra busy because of graduation. If you want to go further north, we have stayed at the Glenmoor-by-the-Sea just north of Camden and liked it very much. Near the road but was quiet although the cabins are way back from the road. We stayed in a mini-suite kind of unit.
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 06:25 AM

I'm also a bigger fan of Brunswick over Freeport. Freeport is worth a daytrip, but Brunswick is a better home base. The Seadog Brewing Company in Topsam is a great casual lunch or dinner place, and kid friendly (www.seadogbrewing.com).They've got a nice deck overlooking the Androscoggin River.

Go down to Bailey/Orrs Islands for another day trip and do a lighthouse tour for more fun. Here are some lighthouses in the Portland area: http://familyroadtrippers.blogspot.c...ouse-tour.html

Dan
www.familyroadtrippers.blogspot.com

Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all those great tips! In fact, we are coming to attend a graduation - my Dad's! He's also turning 70 within the week, so it is a huge celebration for our family. I was drawn to the cottages because I thought my sister's family, my brother & his wife, and my family could all have our own separate places, but still be able to relax and gather together. We have just four days, one of those is the graduation. It's more about being together as a family for me, with some sightseeing and diversions in between. To keep lodging costs reasonable for everyone I had narrowed it down to Traveler's Inn in Brunswick, and the Maine Idyll. (Biggest question is cleanliness.) Also, any suggestions on a restaurant to have an after-graduation celebratory dinner? Doesn't have to be ultra fancy, but maybe where we could be out of other people's way. We'll have 12-15 guests from age 10 (picky ones) to age 80. Thanks again!
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 01:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Idyll cottages are clean but far from luxurious. Maine is known for cleanliness, however furnishings are usually bare-bones and quite dated. Carpeting often worn etc. When you have to rely on what is basically just a 90 day tourist season, it's hard to keep everything constantly renovated and fresh.

The Idyll is a few miles out of the way however, nothing within walking distance and a bit remote. Traffic noise would just be in the mornings as people are heading to Freeport or Brunswick for work.
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

clarkgriswold - Clean but not luxurious should work quite well for us. My family is coming from San Diego, and will appreciate the trees and relative isolation. I can't wait to share New England scenery with my kids! (I'm a NE native, they're So Cal girls.)

dfrostnh - Loved the Glenmoor, looks like it doesn't open until Mem Day, but it's where I'd want to be if I were relaxing for a week.

PhotoDad - Awesome lighthouse photos! My 10-yr-old daughter loves lighthouses, so we'll have to get out to see some.