Search

Fredericksburg, VA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 09:39 AM
elaine

Fredericksburg, VA

Headed to Fredericksburg late September. Has anyone stayed at Richard Johnston Inn? If so, would love feedback.
Also, we will be driving from the Phila. area (I-95) on a Friday. Have not traveled this route recently. We must arrive in Fredericksburg no later than 5pm to attend wedding rehersal dinner. I am thinking we should pass Baltimore no later than 1:30pm to avoid DC/gridlock traffic. Would prefer opinions from locals and others who travel this route often.
Thanks in advance!

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 01:07 PM
diane

I've only passed through Fredericksburg on the way to points south, so I know nothing about staying there, but I just thought I'd mention the great (low) gas prices there. We never gas up when leaving our northern D.C. suburbs because we know we will save 10-20 cents per gallon if we wait. Also, Friday traffic is particularly bad, and I think you need to be past Baltimore by 1:00 if you want to try to beat all the other people who are trying to beat the traffic!

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 04:44 PM
elaine

Diane,

Thanks for suggesting getting into Baltimore area by 1pm...we were uncertain.

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 05:39 PM
Cass

Maybe Sept. will be better, but fair warning: I-95 south of Washington was gridlocked ALL THE WAY to F'burg from about 2 pm on as of last Friday.
I strongly suggest looking for alternative. My preference is to take I95 to I885 through Balt. to I97 south - stay with it 'til it turns into Rte. 3 and then 301 all the way through Waldorf and La Plata across the "Nice" (sic) bridge into Virginia -- cut over to F'burg on Rte. 17 at the Ft. Hill intersection (look at a map). I guarantee that it'll save you much time and headache, even if it's a little busy through Waldorf (try to get through there before 3 pm). We always go this way to Richmond, no matter the time or day.

Another, less wonderful alternative is to get off the Wash. Beltway ((I95) in Alexandria and take the G. W. Parkway down to its end, where you take 135 over to Rte. 1 South and stay on Rte. 1 to Fredericksburg. It's poky and doesn't allow you to avoid the Wilson Bridge, which backs up readily; but if you are very early it allows you to hop back onto I95 south of DC.

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 05:43 PM
Cass

Sorry, foibles of Fodor's fonts -- Just noticed that in a sans-serif font like Ariel, I-95 can look like 195, etc. One more time: I-95 to Balt, I-885 to I-97 south, to 3, then 301 then 17.

(OR GW Parkway to Rte. 135 to Rte. 1)

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 04:19 AM
elaine

Cass,

Many thanks for detailed directions for both routes you suggest. BTW...I realized you meant I-95!