Freaky Friday Rants and Raves 4-14

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2006, 07:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rant: $389 million bonus for ExxonMobile's CEO.

Rave: E-85 gas made from corn.

Rave: I haven't ran groceries through a car wash in over a week!
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 08:03 PM
Neopolitan

And we wonder why our gas prices go up?

Gas from corn? What about gas from beans? That seems so much more logical and feasible.

But wasn't it nice to know all the food you ate this week was soooooo clean?

Old Apr 13th, 2006, 08:13 PM

My best wishes and sympathy for those who have lost family members and those who have lost their beloved pets..

I am still liking Portland.
Pup is gorgeous after a day at the groomers.
We are planning a trip to Buenos Aires!!

Wishing you all a Happy Easter weekend..
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 08:35 PM

Doesn't the Exxon CEO deserve that big fat payment for making soooo much money for the company lately?
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 08:58 PM

Buenos Aires, Scarlett? How exciting!

Rave: our yard has finally dried out from all the bad weather. I can excercise the dog with a frisbee again!

Rave: Off to NYC and Boston again on Monday. DH is coming along this time, and he hasn't spent any time in NYC, so it should be fun! MIL arrived from Portland today to house/dog sit while we're gone.

A friend is in charge of a charity auction and tipped me off that one package was a week of hotel stays in India. I got all excited, knowing that those big ticket items tend to sell cheap. Unfortunately it is a set itinerary (1 night here, 2 nights there, etc) and not at either of the two hotel chains that I love.
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 09:15 PM

Rave: Bought our tickets to Germany and Austria for next October. I love it when I have the tickets, it means I'm really going and I can start making the rest of my reservations.

Rant: Coming down with a cold. I leave Tuesday for Hawaii to visit my sister and had planned on a couple of days of scuba diving. Looks like the diving if off. SOB!

Rave: Sending my son's passport off to the Honduran Consulate to get him a Visa. He gets to stay 7 weeks and scuba dive to his hearts content. Lucky kid!

Rave: Tax season is almost over, I will get my hubby back next week (CPA). Yeah!

Rave: It didn't rain today. The sunshine was warm and the day was beautiful.

Happy Easter everyone. Hope you find all the hidden easter eggs. Barb
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 10:11 PM

My prayers and thoughts to those who have had bad news hit them over the course of the week. I was suprised to see FFRR running so late in the week, and was bummed that none of the news was happy...

Though my rants seem petty in comparison,I had a crappy week,so I need to vent these:

A girl in daycare apparently has lice. Yikes! Daughter's hair is thick, wavy, and down to her butt.The thought of having to deal w/ this issue freaks me out.Have to do a quick study online,as I've never known anyone who has had to deal with this. Her uncle is off tomorrow, so all adults agree to keep her out of care tomorrow. Atleast it won't cost me a sick day at work.

Noticed that my "fat jeans" that used to be really loose after I lost 25lbs last Summer(stress loss) aren't so loose anymore. The problem is, I don't really care,and that can't be good.

Sprained thumb at work and spent 2 days at front door-the most boring job I could possibly be stuck with- "may I see your membership card? Thank you!" 8 hours a day- To avoid going crazy, tried to go back to full duty today-definately not ready,and back to the door I'll go!

Gas price hike is biting a large chunk out of budget.TV and computer DSL are dangerously close to being eliminated. The price of gas in Europe means nothing to me,so I'm tired of hearing how lucky I am to not have to pay those prices. 389 million bonuses make me sick. I'm trying to figure out how to convince myself that stepping down from management to have time with daughter was the right decision when I feel like I'm now having a hard time providing for her.I want her to grow up and look back at me proudly...

Old Apr 13th, 2006, 11:21 PM

Rant: Trojan horses!
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 11:24 PM

oooh head lice!! or ukus as we call them in Hawaii. I escaped the many outbreaks that occurred when my girls were in pre and elementary school. Felt soo lucky.

Then a friend came to stay with us and on the last day, her daughter realized her head was itching for a reason. A vendor at the International Marketplace had plopped a hat on her head when she stopped to look at jewelry, probably the same hat the vendor had tried to sell that same way to a dozen others!

We had four girls who'd been sleeping together on a mountain of quilts and pillows, and a family room where they and the three adults had been lounging on the couches and big floor pillows.

Off to the drugstore for the quell for all of us, took turns digging thru each others hair, and ran the washer and dryer all night long!!

Old Apr 13th, 2006, 11:29 PM

oops, I got sidetracked. I meant to say that your daughter will look back and reflect on you as a mother by how you act and how you talk about your job, not where you work. Trust me, many kids aren't even all that clear what it is their parents do all day!

Use those hours you aren't "volunteering" to the company as management to make good memories with your daughter.
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 04:00 AM

Special thoughts and prayers to our Fodorite friends who suffered a loss this week. May you find peace and comfort.

Rave: Neopolitan's gas alternative!

Rant: The tax man cometh and the tax man taketh away...

Rave: Finding a toad in the yard yesterday.

Wishing everyone a lovely Easter!
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 04:02 AM

Rant: Spring allergies

Rave: We leave for three weeks in the Caribbean Wednesday

Rant: bonniebroad losing her beloved Trissie

Rave: There's a wriggly warm puppy with her name on it whenever she decides she's ready

Rant: Exxon, period.

Rave: Growing public awareness and opposition to the willingness to pay outrageous prices for gas

Big Rave: Reading all of the fun and exciting things people have going on in their lives.

Happy Easter!
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 04:21 AM

Rant: Bonniebroad's Trissie crossing over to the rainbow bridge. I've been crying everytime I read about this dog that I don't even know. I can only imagine what Bonnie is going through.

Rave: My little puppy (ok, she's 4, but still a puppy to me!) just went to the groomers and she's all soft & fluffy. And I got woken up to wet puppy kisses this morning too! What a great way to start the weekend. (Bonnie - Sasha is sending kisses your way too...)

Rant: Exxon, and the current administration. (Grrrr....)

Rave: Bean-powered gas!! What a great idea, Neo!

Rave: DH got a bonus yesterday! More money for the Mongolia trip savings fund!

Rave: Our friend who is a Tibetan monk is coming on Wednesday to stay for a week. Bring on the good karma!!
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 04:22 AM

oh, one more rave - Jorr's dry groceries! Go Jorr!!
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 04:50 AM

Another rave for Neo's gas initiative

Major rants for my Fodorite friends who are going through such difficult times...As a friend told me after her son suffering from Cystic Fibrosis was diagnosed with autism and her dad died suddenly, "Left foot, right foot, breathe!" meaning take life one step at a time. At that point, she found it overwhelming to think more than a couple of minutes into the future and it got her through some extremely rough times. (That and good friends and lots of wine...and whine!) Big hugs for all that need them!!!!

Rave: My husband is feeling a little more relief from the nerve block injection he got yesterday for his hernatied disc.

Rant/Rave: A tornado struck our neighborhood 4am last Saturday...No one hurt but lots of damage around our part of town...we only lost some shingles, chaise lounge and two trees--and the trees fell away from the house, back into the woods. Some of our neighbors had much more damage.

Rave: We have unbelievably wonderful neighbors. One guy, who just moved next door recently, spent Sunday afternoon cutting down trees and branches for us since OWJ2 couldn't do it and I'm too incompetent to handle a chain saw!

Minirant: I haven't had time to pick up a thank you gift for him and his wife.

Wishing everyone a easy week, Happy Passover, Easter and pretty spring days!
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 04:56 AM
GoTravel

klr, the FFR&R is always on Friday because it is the Freaky Friday R&R! LOL!

Rave: It is supposed to be 90 degrees this weekend! Both Saturday and Sunday!

Rave: Celebrating my dad's 80th birthday tonight and my mother's 70th birthday Sunday! Happy Birthday Mom & Dad! (if she ever read Fodors she'd kill me for telling her age!)

Rant: Restaurant widow once again.

Old Apr 14th, 2006, 04:56 AM

Prayers and thoughts to everyone who is suffering and is dealing with losses and pain. May this Easter bring you hope and a glimpse of light and happiness.

klr--All I can say is that as a teacher and a single mom, I had to do without so much that I had previously been used to, but the time I spent with my son was much more rewarding. All the memories we made in (free) parks, friends' homes, and even just our front and back yards are some of the best that we know. The best possible gift that I can ever give my son (and future children, I hope) is my time and love. Best wishes for you and your daughter. You have a special place in my Fodorite heart, and I hope that things continue to get better for you.

Rave--Holy Week and Easter.
Rave--Beautiful weather we're having. It's supposed to be 90 on Easter Sunday. Nice time to get a little bit of tan.
Rant--All the paper work after my mom's passing. My dad, who is also sick and in a nursing home, is the surviving spouse and beneficiary for everything, and I had to get a power of attorney to take care of all of it. And I'm not an attorney, nor do I know one! So all of the legal financial and tax mumbo-jumbo makes no sense to me. AAARGH!!!
Rant--gas

May the blessings of this Easter touch each and every one of you. Happy Easter.
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 05:03 AM

Rave: All the gentle, kind messages of support and affection for Bonniebroad, Otto, JJ5 and my dear Tiff. It has been heartwarming to witness. You reap what you sow. You have given kindness to others and it is returned tenfold. I know most of you will take a break while you heal, but please stop by occasionally to let us know how you are. You are in my prayers.
Rave: It is glorious spring in North Carolina. Winston-Salem is known as Easter City ( and Donut City and Camel City) because of the long Moravian tradition of celebrating Easter with a sunrise service. The gathering is held in the graveyard of Old Salem. Graves are cleaned and decorated with the flowers of spring; it is so beautiful. A wonderful celebration of renewal and love.
Rave: Me, too, Scarlett!!!!!

Old Apr 14th, 2006, 05:05 AM

Warm thoughts to all of you who are going through difficult times. May you find peace and comfort.

Rave: Spending time with my husband.

Rant: Coming home to find evidence that there was a party in my home.

Rant: Lying.

Rant: Bug bites.

Happy Easter and Happy Passover
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 05:06 AM

GoT, where is DH working? Is it Charleston by any chance?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -