Reload this Page >

Frank Lloyd Wright sites

Search

Frank Lloyd Wright sites

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 1997, 06:58 AM
liz

Frank Lloyd Wright sites

I would like to arrange a trip to see some of Frank Lloyd Wright's work. Where is there a concentration of his buildings? Chicago? Phoenix? are they open to the public. Is the hotel he designed in Phoenix nice?

Old Jul 28th, 1997, 05:27 PM
sharon

I'm answering off the top of my head but Taliesen West if probably the best place, or at least the most interesting. FLW was an independent architect and did commissions all over the country, mainly quirky homes in offbeat locales. There are several in the Michigan area around Detroit and Lansing, but they are not much to see really. Tom Monahan, the owner of Dominos Pizza has a thing for FLW and bought up quite a bit and had them shipped to Ann Arbor Mi and reassembled but I don't know if they are still there. Personally, I would think a road trip on route 66 paying homage could be a kick but would require a lot of planning. The must see home is of course, in Pennsylvania, Falling River, somewhere neat Pittsburgh, I think, but you had better check on some other site for this info.

Old Jul 28th, 1997, 06:19 PM
Polly

Arizona State University in the Phoenix area has the Grammercy (sp?) Auditorium which was the last building designed by FLW. Fodor's Arizona guide book mentions other buildings in the Phoenix area that are FLW designed.

Old Jul 28th, 1997, 06:48 PM
Sylvia

Try the Frank Lloyd Wright Page, it lists many sites
at www.mcs.com/~tgiesler/flw_home.htm

Old Jul 28th, 1997, 07:46 PM
Sammy Redd

The most interesting collection of Wright buildings is in the Chicago area, the close-in suburb of Oak Park in particular. There you can see many examples of his early Prairie Style houses and his magnificent Unity Temple. Chicago also gives you the chance to see the mesmerizing work of Wright's teacher and collaborator, Louis Sullivan. The Auditorium Building and The Rookery are Sullivan must-sees. If you ever get the chance, stop by Springfield, Illinois, site of one of Wright's finest homes--the Susan Lawrence Dana house. She gave him a blank check and free reign to design a dream house. It's beautifully preserved and open to the public for tours.

Old Jul 29th, 1997, 11:47 PM
phyllis baren

Oak Park Illinois and neighboring River Forest our must places for visiting Frank Lloyd Wright buildings. The FLW Home and Studio is in Oak Park. Wonderful tours are given of the Home and Studio as well as walking tours of the private homes in the area.