Reload this Page >

four seasons recently ?

Search

four seasons recently ?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7th, 2001, 03:39 PM
sam

four seasons recently ?

Going to Maui in April,just booked 4 Seasons club level, havent seen many posts in Rants &Raves recently and wondered if anyone has stayed in theese accomodations.(recently)Thanks for your help, I'm excited !!!!!

Old Dec 7th, 2001, 03:45 PM
gyppielou

As well you should be excited. We went for prime ocean view and loved it-didn't do club...but I must say haven stayed there, I'd stay in a broom closet rather than go to the others. Just love 4S and I know you will too. We're going back in Jan with 5th night free in a garden room which was upgraded since we're repeat guests!

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 10:14 AM
MMN

Well, I was debating btwn a Garden View room at Four Seasons or Oceanfront w/bkfst at Renaissance. Are you thinking Four Seasons is the way to go? I would just love an oceanview though, but it's so expensive at FS. Does anyone know if they ever upgrade honeymooners. Most hotels do but the Four Seasons is not most hotels.
We're starting our honeymoon in a Jr. Suite at the Princeville in Kauai so that was supposed to be our splurge.
(Although all of Hawaii is a splurge for us.)

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 04:33 PM
gyppielou

Oh how we loved Princeville, stayed in oceanfront room 3 years ago. We made the mistake to go to Sheraton in Poipu after and surley missed the luxury. My point is if you can start low and build up to excellence on any trip you take. For Maui, what are your plans? Do you want to explore the island or sit in resort bliss with a few day or dinner trips.
we've opted both ways but return to 4S for it's impeccable feel. Personally, I would either switch dates and stay affordably in Maui, including 2 nights in Hana, at a rental villa rather than the hotel or condo there, and then head to upscale in Princeville....or I would choose FS garden since you will have all the wonderful views at Princeville. Best of luck and let me know.

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 05:28 PM
Joe

Why would you want to recommend someone to go to Hawaii then spend all their time in rainy overcast areas (Princeville, Hana)?

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 05:29 PM
gyppielou

Oh how we loved Princeville, stayed in oceanfront room 3 years ago. We made the mistake to go to Sheraton in Poipu after and surley missed the luxury. My point is if you can start low and build up to excellence on any trip you take. For Maui, what are your plans? Do you want to explore the island or sit in resort bliss with a few day or dinner trips.
we've opted both ways but return to 4S for it's impeccable feel. Personally, I would either switch dates and stay affordably in Maui, including 2 nights in Hana, at a rental villa rather than the hotel or condo there, and then head to upscale in Princeville....or I would choose FS garden since you will have all the wonderful views at Princeville. Best of luck and let me know.

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 05:34 PM
gyppielou

sorry for the repeat message...I suggest the two because they had already booked Princeville and have given no dates so I do not presume they are going immediately...and Hana is simply glorious in my opinion as I've stayed there twice. I don't mean to mislead...so what would you suggest?

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 07:12 PM
kt

Sam:

I just got back yesterday. I have stayed there a few times and, as usual, it was wonderful. What would you like to know? If it is the quality of rooms - they were painting and redoing all the rooms between Thanksgiving and Christmas. The food presentations are very good, although pupus are better on some nights than others, but the other offerings are universally good. The staff there is wonderful. You will leave having been truly taken care of, if you so choose. It really is a special place to stay. Post if you have any other questions.

To MMN:

Last year people I know stayed at the Princeville and then the Renaissance, and were disappointed in the R after staying at the Princeville (the Four Seasons was sold out so they opted for the R). I felt terrible since I had recommended the R as an alternative.
I have stayed at the Princeville and Four Seasons on the same trip and thought it is a great vacation.

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 05:16 AM
4S

Recently returned from my Hawaiian honeymoon that included both Four Seasons (Maui and BI) as well as Princeville.

Regarding Princeville weather: Joe, saying the North shore is rainy and overcast all the time is extremely misleading. I stayed there for 5 nights and other than the night we arrived, I did not see one raindrop. The weather was magnificant (in November no less!) and I welcomed the few clouds that seemed to come in late in the afternoon. It probably isn't for the few people that are hard-core sun worshippers. For everyone else it is paradise.

As for the 4S, it is worth every penny! We booked an Ocean View Prime and they upgraded us to an Ocean Front. Another couple we met booked an Ocean View Prime and they were upgraded to an unbelievable one bedroom Ocean Front Suite. If they have the space they will upgrade you.
As for the club level, it all depends on what kind of traveler you are. . . . I don't really see the point of a club level concierge, as the regular ones were always available, accomodating and did their jobs perfectly. Other than that, you will be paying more for cocktails and hors' doervs (sp?); it wasn't worth it to us, maybe it is to you. I don't know if the club level rooms are different, I've heard that they are not.

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 07:53 AM
Karen

To the last respondent:
Is there a beach at the BI 4S? Can you go in the ocean there? One more question: How were the rooms there? Thanks. I know the resort is supposed to be spectacular, but I wondering if I will miss the beach. Oh, one more how does the Princeville compare to your stay on BI and M.?

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 08:46 AM
MMN

Just to clarify, I am going in July. I had heard that that's the best time of year to explore the North Shore of Kauai - weather wise. And we are definitely not what I'd call sun-worshipers so a shower here and there would not be a disaster.
I'm thinking more & more that Princeville & Four Seasons are the way to go. I was worried that Four Seasons would never upgrade. But if we have a shot of going Garden View to even a Partial Ocean View then I think it's probably worth a try.

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 10:26 AM
4S

Karen -
The 4S BI does have a beach and many people chose to spend their days in the sand instead of around the pool. There is much lava on the beach and in the water, and it was very rough when we were there. Fortunately, the 4S built a small lava wall about 25 yards out to sea, and in between two lava rock formations about 50 yards apart. This wall prematurely breaks the waves so now there is an excellent, calm stretch of ocean that is safe for the whole family. Keep in mind that the beach cannot compare to Wailea on Maui, but it serves the purpose.

Comparing Princeville to either of the 4S's is difficult. As a matter of fact, just comparing the two 4S's to each other is near impossible since they are so different. I had very few complaints while I stayed at Princeville. Our room, Prince Junior Suite, was fantastic and the hotel was immaculate. The service was perfect and I definately felt pampered.
I wouldn't have thought that it could get any better, but somehow the 4S just does it better. As an example, Princeville pool staff is attentive and always looking to refill your ice water, get you a smoothie, lunch, etc. I didn't want for anything. The 4S pool staff has ice water too, but they also have iced towels, evian spray bottles to cool you off, a massuesse (sp?) walking around offering foot massages, and every day at 11 and 3, someone came around with goodies! One day it was strawberries, another day it was frozen grapes, ice pops too. It was service like I've never experienced at any other resort anywhere.

Like I said, it's not that there's anything wrong with Princeville, I'll give them a 9.5 or 10 on my 1-10 rating and I'll stay there in a heartbeat the next time I'm on Kauai, it's just that the 4S is sooo good that I have to give them an 11.