Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Four Seasons, Grand Wailea or Kea Lani for Honeymoon?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please help. I am up to my neck in wedding planning, and I can't decide between The Four Seasons, The Grand Wailea, or the Fairmont Kea Lani.

I love the extras that are included at the Four Seasons, but I don't know if it is worth the money, and I cannot find a deal anywhere!

I have never been to Maui before, so I am not sure which would be the better resort for our honeymoon and which would be the "best deal" for the money.

I know that we could stay in a condo, and it would be cheaper, but I would rather do the condo route when we go back with our kids ... years from now.

Thanks!
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 11:16 AM

Here's a vote for the Kea Lani.

I've stayed in all three.

Kea Lani are all suites. The grounds are nicer IMO. Beaches about the same (all these hotels are next to each other). Restaurants, shops, etc. also better (and more selection) at Kea Lani. It's also just the right size. 4 Seasons felt a bit cramped, especially at the pool. Grand Wailea is a bit too spread out. But again, that's all personal choice.

Just get an ocean view room though. Anything facing the back and sides of the hotel (any of them), and you run the chance of overlooking a parking lot, service road or air conditioning units. If you have to take one of these rooms, just ask about these areas.

Congrats!!
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 11:39 AM

The Kea Lani is very nice. My DH and I stayed there several years ago for our 10 year anniversary. Make sure you ask for a remodeled / refurbished room. When we were there our room needed a few touch ups, but was nice nonetheless. Make sure you tell them you are on your honeymoon because you'll get lots of attention and a few extras like an upgrade if available and free champagne. Good luck.
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 12:38 PM

I'd go for the Four Seasons. Second choice would be Kea Lani. We stayed at the Grand Wailea for our honeymoon and found it to be a bit hectic (lots of kids, overwhelmingly large, service not that great).
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 03:12 PM

Personally I would go with the Four Seasons but I like that atmosphere

My cousins stayed at the Grand Wailea for their honeymoon and loved it. I asked why they didn't stay at the Four Seasons and they said it was too quiet for their tastes.

For them price wasn't an issue at any of the hotels

You have to decide if you want something with a lot going on and a great pool, Grand Wailea or something a little quieter like the FS or Kea Lani

Old Jan 24th, 2006, 03:33 PM

I'm going to echo most of travelinandgolfin's statements.

I also vote for the Kea Lani. As mentioned, all the rooms are suites. The resort grounds are nice - not too big, nor too small and there are a nice mix of shops and restaurants.

I also thought the Four Seasons was really cramped at the pool area.

I can't comment on the Grand Wailea much - we walked through the grounds, but didn't stay there.
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 03:42 PM

I stayed at Grand Wailea and toured the other two properties. I really enjoyed Grand Wailea and felt it was by far the better value. If cost is no object than I would say Kea Lani also. PS I booked the lowest priced room on GW's website and was upgraded 2 categories for free.
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 08:43 AM

Congrats on the wedding.

Kea Lani hands down!!!!!

I spent my honeymoon there almost 3 years ago and it was great. The rooms are suites, so they are big and an ocean view is great. I they know you are on your honeymoon, they give you a basket of fruit and wine upon arrival.

I only went to the other hotels to eat and look around. I thought the Grand Wailea was full of kids, go ack in a few years when you have some. Friends who stayed at the Four Seasons thought that it was a little too stuck up and stuffy. But both hotels are beautiful.
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 09:49 AM

We stayed at the Kea Lani last March for our anniversary. We had also considered the Grand Wailea. However, when we walked past it we were VERY glad we did not stay there. It seemed very crowded and there were a ton of kids. We had a terrace/mountain view at the Kea Lani which meant parking lot view with mountain behind it.
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 11:27 AM

I'm going to reiterate points already made here with a caveat stolen from somebody else (that I completely agree) in that there isn't a "perfect" place among the 3 but you'll have a great time at any.

The Grand Wailea is more for kids than it is honeymooners, its huge, with lots of pools and action which is great for teenagers but maybe not for people on their honeymoon.

Between the FS and KL, the FS unquestionably has better service, but the KL has better grounds. The 4S pool area as mentioned above is very cramped and crowded...if they would fix this it would be the premier resort in Hawaii. But the landscape, bar locations and service are all the best in Maui.

The KL definitely lags behind the 4S in service, just isn't as attentive or as important to the resort I guess. But the adult pool is much better, the beach is more private and the rooms are bigger with better views (if you get an ocean side room).

Both are great, but if you could have 4S service at the KL grounds you'd have the ultimate Maui resort, until then you still have an attractive decision between the two.
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 12:20 PM

By the way, if you are traveling in the off season, go ahead and book the cheapest room. But tell them you're there on your honeymoon. You're almost guaranteed to be upgraded several catagories. Notice I said "almost." But if cost is a factor, I think it's a chance worth taking.

FS almost always upgrades if they have rooms available. We booked a garden, got upgraded to a suite (without even asking!)

Kea Lani put us into a prime ocean view room, even though we booked the cheapest one.

Just a thought.
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 04:11 PM

I don't know if this is of any consequence anymore as they may have changed, but we stayed at the GW 14 years ago for our honeymoon, they knew it, and we did not receive one thing - not even a congratulations! It didn't seem that busy/full, but we were not upgraded. We did think the view was breathtaking from the main lobby area.

We booked again just 3 years ago and brought our children. They loved the kiddy pool, but still, service was very impersonal and bland. I don't think we'll be going back, especially with what everyone said about KL!

Super Congratulations! Have a wonderful time!
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 04:28 PM

Here's another vote for Kea Lani! In my opinion (I've stayed at both), the "extras" at the 4 seasons aren't worth the extra money. Especially if you care at all about spending time at the pool. The 4s pool area is SMALL.

Go Kea Lani--it's great!
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 06:15 PM

HIGHLY recommend the FS Maui over the other 2. Our friends were at the GW and we didn't like it there. We loved the artwork but it was way too big, kept getting lost, was too noisy in the pool area, and wasn't our cup of tea. We found the Kea Lani to be drab in the all white theme, it looked like we were in Arabia with all the Islamic accents and architecture, and while the grounds are nice, we much preferred just about everything about the FS better. We were in a Mountainview room for $425 a nt including breakfast buffet for 2 and a car. They let us take anything we wanted from the buffet back to our room in tins and we sometimes just ate it for dinner too! Cheese sandwiches, yogurts and fruit. We were in heaven. The shops, the feel of the place, the lovely beach, the view from the hotel - it was incredible.

To each his own. Each person would like each different hotel for different reasons. They're all great I'm sure. The FS gave us really nice amenities for our anniversary even though we were in the cheapest room category.

Steve R
Silver Spring MD
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 07:25 PM

We were at the GW last March with our two daughters. We had been to Kanapali Beach area for our honeymoon 15 years ago - but when we saw that area again - forget it! Do you want quiet? Please contact me, would love to help. I swore if we ever went back, it would be to the FS or the FKL, but it can be expensive for a honeymoon - this part of the island is key! What time of year are you going? Our kids loved GW but it was a sea of Spring Breakers and kids..............