Reload this Page >

four days in LA-what should I do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2001, 10:02 AM
sarah

I need some help gang. I'm into LA on Dec 1. Staying at the Ramada by the airport till the other half of my party arrives on the 2nd. Is this in an area that I can explore without hastle? Sorry I don't have an exact address.
We have a rental car to pick up at the airport then the adventure really begins. I'm looking for some flea markets, cruisy drinking spots, any live music and any other suggestions for 4 days non stop fun. The more mad the better. Thanks

Old Nov 2nd, 2001, 10:14 AM
L

Why limit your pleasures to LA/X ... head out the PHC and catch the Malibu scene ... walk on surfrider beach ... but avoid Venice ... not mad, just sad. Ciao

Old Nov 2nd, 2001, 11:47 AM
Native

My dear "L",

Sorry, but my buzz word dictionary does not include PHC.

If you meant PCH, it is in my book as Pacific Coast Highway. Have you ever thought that someone not from Southern California might have no idea what the heck you are talking about??

All of these cutesy little abbreviations happen constantly on these sites. After a while, you kind of get the feel for some of them, but what a bunch of bs in general.

If you need me to explain bs, just let me know where you have been hiding your entire life and I will promptly and willingly email the correct response.

Native

Old Nov 2nd, 2001, 12:57 PM
sarah

Native, thanks for your input and I'm sure we have all felt your frustration but the fact still remains....nobody has made any suggestions. Can you help?

Old Nov 2nd, 2001, 01:30 PM
Kris

Sarah, we stayed at a Ramada near the airport in August. They lost our reservation so I was glad I had my confirmation info printed out. If it's the same one we stayed at there's nothing in the area worth visiting.

I'm afraid you're there on the wrong weekend for the huge flea market at Pasadena's Rose Bowl which we caught on the second Sunday of the month.

There's a farmers market that's usually listed as one of the highlights, here's a web link http://www.farmersmarketla.com/

I thought Olvera St. was kind of fun, grabbed some good Mexican food there.

I have to agree with L on Venice Beach, can't say I label it a must see.

Old Nov 2nd, 2001, 02:54 PM
x

Check out the Standard Hotel if you're looking for a hip, fun lodging.

The Rose Bowl swap meet is the best, but like a previous poster said, it's not open that weekend.

Venice is worth a look despite what others may say. It's unlike any place else and is a good place to people watch on a Sunday morning.

As for clubs, try the Viper Room. House of Blues is also known to get a fairly decent crowd depending on the venue of the evening.

The LAX area itself isn't exciting, but you might want to take a taxi to the Santa Monica 3rd Street Promenade or to Marina Del Rey. The South Bay beaches (Redondo, Manhattan Beach, etc.) tend to get a young, partying beach crowd though the scene will be a lot quieter since it's off season.

Old Nov 2nd, 2001, 09:55 PM
another native

Leone is a self-important, aggrandizing touron. It would be nice if people stuck to posting about things they actually KNOW something about.

Oh yeah..uh..ciao