Fort Bragg

Old Jun 23rd, 1999, 04:44 AM
Ron Rizzo

Fort Bragg

Iam taking a senic trip to Or and Calif. I Would like to know Abour Fort Bragg,Ca. Especially a motel called "Fort Bragg Motel"
Thanks

Old Jun 23rd, 1999, 07:49 AM
Kathy

If your intent is a scenic trip, you might want to consider Mendocino or Little River (10 and 12 miles south of Ft. Bragg). The motel you mention is on Main Street in Ft. Bragg, right on Hwy. One. Ft. Bragg isn't that large and does have some interesting sights, but Main St. is not a very picturesque location.......logging trucks and other traffic going by--whereas lodging in Mendocino is not on the highway.

Old Jun 23rd, 1999, 07:50 AM
Kathy

If your intent is a scenic trip, you might want to consider Mendocino or Little River (10 and 12 miles south of Ft. Bragg). The motel you mention is on Main Street in Ft. Bragg, right on Hwy. One. Ft. Bragg isn't that large and does have some interesting sights, but Main St. is not a very picturesque location.......logging trucks and other traffic going by--whereas lodging in Mendocino is not on the highway. The scenery all along the coast--from Westport, north of Ft. Bragg, all along the rest of the Mendocino coast into Sonoma county and south!

Old Jun 23rd, 1999, 09:30 AM
Monica Richards

I love the Northern California coast, and I think Ft. Bragg is a fine town to stay in-- a bit more rugged than Mendocino, but cheaper, too. There are some good restaurants right in Ft. Bragg or you can drive to Mendocino (about 20 minutes). I highly recommend the Lodge at Noyo River--it's an old logging baron's house with a river around it and a cute harbor out back where the breakfast room is. You can hear the sea lions from your room! They have an evening reception every night, and a very nice breakfast in the morning with the biggest coffee cups you have ever seen. You can check them out at http://www.mcn.org/a/noyoriver/.

Old Jun 23rd, 1999, 10:03 PM
Dayle

Ron, just a couple miles north of Ft. Bragg is a tiny town called Cleone. I stayed at the Cleone Inn a couple years ago. It was very nice and cozy with large lawn and gardens, hot tub and breakfast served on the deck. Just ask for a room NOT facing the highway if you're a light sleeper.

Old Jun 25th, 1999, 04:23 PM
Kathy

Ron, Although I'd replied to your post earlier, I didn't have a specific idea of exactly which motel you asked about as there are a number in that same block. I live in the area and today happened to do a "drive by" and TRUST ME, you do NOT want to stay at this place!!! It and one other are in the "awful" category.....they've tried to spruce it up from time to time to no avail! Agree with a previous post that Noyo River Lodge is a nice, scenic and out-of-the-way spot.....and the place in Cleone, though right on Hwy. 1 as well, gives you the feeling of a garden setting--as though you weren't on the highway. Plus it's very close to The Purple Rose, a GREAT Mexican restaurant! There are also a couple of other motels just north of Ft. Bragg that are much closer to the ocean and at least have nice views toward it (the FB Motel has NO VIEWS). They include the Beachcomber Motel, Surf 'n Sand Lodge and Hi-Seas Beach Motel. The Ft. Bragg Motel, on the other hand, is one of those places where you might expect to find on the floor a chalk outline of the body of the last occupant.....(just kidding, but you get the idea!)

Old Jun 25th, 1999, 09:48 PM
Dayle

Sorry, Ron. I just checked and it's the Celone Lodge, not Inn.