Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Foreign visitors to America: What do you think of the "familar" service people in America

Search

Foreign visitors to America: What do you think of the "familar" service people in America

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 12:48 PM
Greg

When I travel around Europe and Asia, the service people at eating places and hotels range from usually quite reserved to cold.

Though when I travel to small towns in the south and midwest USA, many of the people who work at restaurants and hotels act like they have been my life time friend. I have been called "buddy", "love" "dear" and "honey" I am asked about my trip, my family, and hometown and I just came in contact with that person a few minutes before.

I am curious what travelers from other parts of the world think about all this friendly "familar" service in America.??

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 01:10 PM
linda

I am from the UK ,
I love being called love or honey as long as it is genuine.
also here in the UK in specific regions you will find yourself being called love dear or even duck(dont ask!)
i feel any genuine term of endearment better than a forced sir or madam

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 06:59 PM
traveler

When we were in London, we went into a pub for a late lunch, it was almost empty.When I was talking to the waitress,she kept calling me love and ducky.Granted , not everyone in London called me ducky,but they were not especially cold or reserved,they were very friendly.I found the French more reserved,although they warm up to you when you talk to the a bit.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 04:32 AM
Greg

I would enjoy hearing more responses regarding how people throughout the world view the level or personality of American people in the service industry.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 04:44 AM
tom

I personally do not like it when service industry workers are too familiar or friendly - I prefer a courteous but professional attitude.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 04:59 AM
Shain

HI,
I think (I live in germany) central europeans just do seperate because of their lingual history to speak to not personally known persons more "respectful" or tactful because our language makes difference, comparable to you and sir.(Du/Sie)

So if you say "Sie" to foreigners or people you do not know it's the nature of the word, that keeps a distance to them. So even if the service stuff in germany seems to be cold or cool, that doesnt mean a thing it's just - theres no way to express your "you" in any other way.
But if you try to tell your history, something from you family or whatever, still that causes (mostly) funnyful irritations, because (I can speak for germans) you will rarely find germans doing this to strangers.
But - as I live with a belgian woman for six years now - in belgium they do not care about this - just every one is "you" like in the u.s. . So even nowadays she sometimes says Du(you) to strangers but she should have choosen "Sie" - that causes also funnyful irritations - germans than mostly are curious where you from, what you do and are open to learn more.

As I have traveled many times to many countries and the US, I never felt uncomfortable when strangers told me things I would never tell to them in such a short time. So, many of my german friends also like to be more"Casual" in speaking and we love the
u.s. citizens sometimes more than ourselfs. Greetings from Duesseldorf/EU/Shain

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 11:37 AM
Ann

My husband's originally from Ireland, and he gets a big kick out of waitresses in a diner calling him "honey". He usually calls them honey back. And for some reason he insists on calling all waiters "chief". I know, I really shouldn't let him outside.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 12:03 PM
KLM

I'm an American and I don't particularly enjoy the pseudo-friendship you're supposed to have with waitstaff. It drives me a little bonkers to have someone call me "sweetie" or "dearie" but less so if I'm alone. HOWEVER, if I'm with anyone else, what really bothers me is the young'uns who think I/we care what they think about things, where they came from, what their other job is, what they think about the state I'm from, or why they haven't been able to attend to my table for the previous 20 minutes.

It's even worse if I'm having a conversation and they chime in with their own experience, comments, etc. It's absolutely none of their business, and if I'd wanted them to join the conversation, I would have invited them to take a break and sit down with us.

I know I sound absolutely crusty, but once we get past "hello, I'm Tiffany/Buzz and I'll be your server today," it's time for them to do their job and let paying customers dine and socialize with the people they came with.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 12:41 PM
Beth

Well I'm from the south where people always have casual conversation with people they don't know like the dry cleaner, the elevator operator, and yes the wait staff. If someone came up to me and said Hi my name is X and never said anything else, I wouldn't think they were rude BUT I certainly live as big a tip as I would for the waiter that chit chatted with us, was very friendly, and acted like he had all the time in the world to spend on us and our order.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 01:18 PM
KLM

Well, Beth, apparently what you pay for is attention.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 01:51 PM
European

If they are sincerely nice people i want to be familar with them. If they are phoney and just looking for a tip, then the %%% with them.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 02:04 PM
InaHurry

I'm American too, so not a person Greg wants to hear from , but I concur with KLM - unless you're the only one in the restaurant and you waiter has the time to spend chatting it up with you, then they should be bringing food, drinks & check with polite, but minimal, conversation. I couldn't care less whether you've had a long shift or what another customer just did, and my plans after dinner are none of your business.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 03:55 PM
justine

As a Canadian I don't qualify as a foreigner but I am sure we all can agree on one thing...as long as I am not called bitch, slut or a**hole then they can call me what they want!!!