Reload this Page >

Ford Ranger - Wotcha think?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2000, 06:58 AM
Jud Compton

Budget offers a "special" Ford Ranger pickup at $19.95 a day which gives us a wild idea of using it for a future trip in Oregon and California for a family reunion. Haven't driven a pickup in over 50 years and wonder if anyone has experience or ideas on this particular vehicle. Help?

Old May 2nd, 2000, 08:47 AM
John

Dear Jud:
Read the fine print! Often car rental agencies charge extra (sky-high) insurance rates for vehicles like this (any rental car insurance that comes with your credit card or regular car insurance may not cover trucks). So, be careful and read the fine print to avoid unexpected--and very costly--surprises.

Old May 2nd, 2000, 12:34 PM
Christie

I currently drive a Ford Ranger, and it is a decent vehicle. You will only be able to fit 3 adults in it comfortably, as the back seats are really too small for anyone over the age of 8. Also, keep in mind that a truck is not a 4x4, so don't plan on going on off-road adventures in the Ranger; you will get stuck! The gas mileage is not the best, especially when it is carrying a full load of people and luggage. Ours gets about 15 mpg in the city and 20 on the highway. However, if you need to haula lot of stuff, the Ranger is a good choice.

Old May 2nd, 2000, 01:01 PM
John

I've done that same Budget special...the $19.95 a day Ranger. It was great! I liked it especially compared to a small Hyundai, Chevy Metro, etc. in that same price category.

Old May 2nd, 2000, 01:08 PM
Lem

Also consider the lack of a locked trunk in which to store your luggage when you leave the vehicle unattended.

Old May 2nd, 2000, 06:31 PM
Lily

We have 4 vehicles and 2 drivers here and my husband's choice is always his Ranger. The gas will cost more if it is a 4 wheel drive. I think more than 2 people would not be comfortable - the 2000 model that we have has only 2 full seats with a 1/2 seat in the center.

Have a blast!!!!