Search

Forced to use travel agency

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forced to use travel agency

Hi Fodorites,

My husband received a gift certificate for $1500 towards a trip with a travel agency from his company.

We are having a hard time figuring out what to do with it since we always plan our own trips and don't like cruises or all inclusives. I was going to use it on a trip to Oregon in the fall, but the agent told me none of my hotel choices could be used because they can't usually book at boutique or 5 star hotels.

So then I was thinking maybe the Caribbean next winter, but of course, the places that appeal to us are probably not what he had in mind (he keeps mentioning cruises even though I've told him repeatedly that is not our thing). We have frequent flier miles so probably don't need him to book the air either.

Any thoughts? I suppose the easiest thing would be to just use it on a long weekend somewhere...
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 06:54 AM

Try another agent at the same company. We usually book through a large commercial agency for a variety of reasons, and have found that some agents are much more equipped to deal with us than others. DH dealt (very briefly) with one who a)told him that Disney was the only one of our vacation choices that made any sense and b)insisted that we needed to fly and we wanted to stay somewhere like Nickelodeon KidSuites! No, a thousand times, no!
We asked for a different girl, and while I'm not sure she really got what we wanted, she booked us anything we wanted that she was able to, and was willing to do a little research regarding what she could do for us. We briefly had another one who really understood the way we like to travel, but the place drove her buggy and she left. Obviously you are not a good fit with this guy, but most large agencies will have a number of agents, and one may be a better fit.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 07:11 AM

I would definitely ask for someone else. I would think if you found everything you wanted and told them to book it, they could do so.

If they don't get a discount from the a boutique or 5 star hotel, ask them how much they would charge to make the reservation anyway. What does a travel agency usually get, 5%? Ask them if you can pay for their services out of the $1500.

If not, I do recommend this boutique hotel on Grand Cayman. A week stay there with a car would eat up the $1500. See if they can book something like this:

http://www.turtlenestinn.com
Old May 3rd, 2008, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. It's not an option to get a different agent; I think it's a small agency and the man I am dealing with is the only one assigned to my husband's old company.

However, he did send me some brochures on the Caribbean and it looks like we could stay at Caneel Bay in St John (which might be too pricey) or Long Bay Beach in Tortola where we stayed once years ago. I know both are nice properties and we wouldn't have to do an all inclusive so I'm going to get prices on those and it should work out.
Old May 3rd, 2008, 09:26 AM

"They can't usually book at boutique or 5 star hotels." What can this mean? They don't know how? But they are professional travel agents, so let's assume that they do. So let's interpret the statement as "don't usually..." Why don't they? Could it possibly be that the hotels you want don't provide the sort of "incentives" to the agent as those provided by the cruise lines?

Be straight with him. Offer him money to book what you want. If he goes for it, say thank you and report his extortionate behavior to the company he's probably been screwing for many years. They'd probably be interested.
Old May 3rd, 2008, 09:42 AM

One thing to do is double check rates you find yourself vs. the travel agency's rates. TA's sometimes use the companies that pay THEM the most comission though it may not be the best deal. My TA is able to book 5* lodging with perks so it sounds as though it is a small agency not affiliated with the larger agencies that can discount more.

I probably would not book a cruise w/ them because there are online travel agencies that significantly discount because they sell in bulk. And don't discount a cruise 'till you've tried it, I always said the same thing but now I enjoy cruises tremendously!

Caribbean or Mexico would be a good idea indeed but I'm not sure how far $1500 would get you. And again, research on your own to make sure your ta's rate matches the best rate you found.

Just a few weeks ago my ta quoted a Cancun hotel for my parents $800 more than the hotel direct, I told her and they came back dropping the price $1500 from the original quote.

Hope this helps.
Old May 3rd, 2008, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, that does help and I will definitely check rates on my own.

I have never used a travel agency and probably won't again, so I'm not willing to do battle over this. We were planning to go to the Caribbean next winter anyway, and now we can get $1500 towards the trip. But that is only worth it if his rates are no higher than what I would get on my own. It's a bit hard to compare since airfare will probably be part of the package. We have frequent flier miles, but those usually need to be reserved way in advance for winter in the Carribean in my past experience.

I am pretty positive a cruise is not my thing. For one thing--I get seasick! Had to leave the Bourne movie because the camera work made me nauseated And we stayed at a huge all inclusive in the Mayan Riviera with family last winter and I hated it. Eating at the same buffet every night, too many people, too many organized activities..too noisy by the pool and beach with music, exercise classes, etc. Someone told me it was a lot like a cruise on land.

A cruise in Alaska would be one I'd consider though...
Old May 3rd, 2008, 12:43 PM

I use 1/2 of a motion sickness patch on my neck twice throughout the cruise and I'm fine. You can't cut the patch but cover up half of it. It also eliminates the side effects. Have done Alaska 3 times, if you do decide to go that route one day definitely take a ship 80k tons or less so you can get close to the glaciers. The mega ships can't get that close. Hubbard and Glacier Bay are the best. Oh, and on a cruise you don't have to do any group activities or eat with strangers, just tip the Maitre'D when arrive on the ship to get seating for your family alone. Princess has dining when you wish alone but most of their ships (at this time) to Alaska are mega ones.

Yes, my spouse won't go to Mexico bcause he says he won't support a drug country (yes I know it's crazy) but we have seen the Riviera Maya via cruise. I don't like all inclusive either but this time is a gift for my dad's 70th birthday.

Good luck with your search. Travel agents often use Classic Custom Vacations, Go-Go vacations, Funjet, Pleasant Holidays and Apple vacations for their clients, many of which you can price online yourself (except Classic I think) for comparrison.

With $1500 free I'd sure find a way to use it no matter what! Happy travel planning