Search

For "Interested" Fodor s Posters &Lurkers

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 07:54 AM
Oaktown Traveler

For "Interested" Fodor s Posters &Lurkers

First:
Good morning, good afternoon or good evening:

NOTE: This is a peaceful posting and a posting that requires a slow read for understanding.
So if your energy is elsewhere follow your energy and please skip this posting.

The Posting:
Travel Advice, Opinions, Experiences, Sharing or Chimming In is the best way to describe what happens after any question is posted.

You can be rich, poor, smart, dumb, well traveled or an armchair traveler. It does not matter.

You can be annomyous or forthright. It really does not matter here.

Someone is probably going to find fault with you, your posting and more often than I like someone is probably going to criticize your plans, your trip and your trip reports.

After reviewing the criticisms of some posters of other posters, myself and many who have been Flamed before me, a few key things stand out.

1)The critics seem to want a Travel Agent experience on the Internet.

2)The critics want something of value for absolutely nothing.

3)The critics themselves have no record or postings to point to that everyone would agree to as having universal value.
(I barrowed that from another poster.)

4) No one earnestly follows their own advice to other posters. Period.

5) Hypocracy, calls for democracy and civility are a daily cycle when it comes to the critics and the supporters.

6)Fights, mostly dirty, are a near guarantee for the USA forum. (I was warned months ago.)

Sadly for now I suggest nothing new.

It has all been said before but on this friday I will say it all again.
BTW, I am grateful that I live and post in a country where I can say whatever I want and live to defend, reflect and be responsible and accountable when needed and move on out of necessity. It is necessary.:

A)Do not read a post, poster or postings that you do not "like" or that you find have no value.

B)Be thankful for whatever travel replies that you get that are not attacks or insults.

C)Take the rude, the vile and the insane as you see it. Move on. Do not let it stop you or your passion for travel or for travel posting, lurking or whatever it is that you come to this and other sites to do. Do not let it taint, anger or disturb you for long.
(overnight should be the cut-off).

Overall the Fodors site is the best in general travel as far as I am concerned.

D) If you go off topic or ask an off topic question expect the absolute worse because the worse of the worse is sure to come.

Most important: Travel, Fashion, Income, Education, Gender, Class, Style and "Poster Personalities" are a part of life on the Internet. Learn to work around those elements that bug you or find another outlet that "fits" it you can not overcome others shortcomings.

Let us all try and keep these things in mind when we log on and when we log off.

Karma is real so I do wish everyone a truly happy and productive Friday and a lifetime filled with Travel.

My Very Best
Oaktown

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 08:04 AM
Lizzie

Kudos, Oaktown. Peace.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 08:50 AM
Judy

Hi Oaktown, I think you stated your thoughts splendidly.....good show!
Judy

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 08:58 AM
Give us some Peace

Oaktown, do you have nothing else to do? Does it always have to be all about you? Let us get back to travel topics - the reason that we all came here in the first place.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 09:05 AM
jim

I really can't think of too many posters who've gotten flamed for giving TRAVEL advice. Disagreements about the quality of hotels, sights, etc. may be come up, but the real wars only errupt over non-travel related stuff. I sense another one brewing here.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 09:25 AM
FFFFFFF

OT you're still missing the REAL point IMO. The reason people have gotten irritated with you here has nothing to do with the fact that you don't always agree with others or even that you often ramble on about non-travel issues.
The rub is that you don't seem to be able to 'identify' with others, to see any perspective other than your own, to offer advice that doesn't offend due to its condescending or self righteous tone.
And I'm sure you've realized that people on the US forum are very sensitive to discussions of class, race, religion, etc. Have to walk on eggshells there...or be willing to pay the price.
Your comment to the black guy who didn't feel discriminated against, telling him he wasn't 'black enough' and that he was not being dutiful to his race, was a prime example. You go much to far in telling other people their business, and that's what offends.

On the other hand, I do sense that you have many positive qualities and I would bet you're actually a very caring and kind person, (who is simply very opinionated and likes to be heard).
No major crime. Just an explanation of what's behind all the turmoil surrounding your posts.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 09:40 AM
yyyy

You really just can't feed into this stuff Oaktown. You do have to walk away sign on under a different name and forget it. The people making those earlier posts looked silly in my mind. I was happy they were spending their time away from real travel questions. I came to the sight for travel info. I have been "flamed" for giving travel advice but most certainly by a moron. I would leave you a sign on that you would certainly recognize but I don't want to continue this stupid stuff.

Just remember the socially awkward types that can be drawn to constant computer use. They do not have developed social circles and are probably a bit angry. Let it go and don't become one of them. In negative postings do you really think you are dealing with people you would respect if you met? Probably not. Why would you want to engage anyone that you did not respect?

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 10:08 AM
x

oaktown, your posts are the best! you're write so clearly and concisely. you must be very intelligent and have done very well in school. you're such a good speller too, except for 'chimming' and 'barrowed', but hey, mistakes happen. we should all be thankful that we live in a time to be graced with your literary presence.

and to you yyyy, thank you so much for your excellent and deep analysis. we have to just walk away when a "socially awkward" person has something to say that just might challenge your narrow minded beliefs.

i think i'm gonna barf...

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 11:05 AM
Oaktown Traveler

Thanks!

For those who put some real time and thought into your above post, thank you.
You could have done many other things so thanks!

Happy Travels
Oaktown