Food Tours

Old Jun 1st, 2015, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Food Tours

The following will appear in this Wednesday's NY Times:

A slice-by-slice bus tour of some of Brooklyn’s best-known pizzerias, including Grimaldi’s and L&B Spumoni Gardens, will occupy a good part of a day. An ice cream tour on foot in Manhattan, with stops including Davey’s Ice Cream and Morgenstern’s Finest, will give you a chance to rate the purveyors and walk off the calories. Both excursions are run by the 92nd Street Y: A Slice of Brooklyn Pizza Tour, Sunday, 11 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., $80; and the New York Ice Cream Challenge, June 12, 1:30 to 4:30 p.m., $65; 92nd Street Y, 212-415-5500, 92Y.org.
Davey's opened up maybe a little more than a year ago and has become our favorite ice cream store. (And there are four others in the area that make their own.)They do not offer many varieties but they are all for adult tastes. They are not overly sweet but whatever the flavor, it is strong and delicious. So even you don't go on the tour and are in the East Village, try Davey's. And, of course, we hope success doesn't spoil the product.
Old Jun 2nd, 2015, 05:29 AM

Thanks!
Old Jun 2nd, 2015, 09:12 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I took Tony's tour several years ago and really enjoyed it. The tour starts with a stop at Grimaldi's (no wait!) and ends at L&B with more pie and a scoop of spumoni. It's an easy and fun way to see Brooklyn and was a perfect "last day" activity before flying out after a business trip. The bus picks you up at Union Square and returns you there. My hotel stored my luggage so it was a great way to see something new. I was concerned about what would happen if the business grew too big because Tony is a big part of the draw. His enthusiasm is infectious and he's very funny. It's a fun mix of a tour. Pizza, comedy and movie tour. The bus traveled the routes of famous movie scenes including clips of Travolta's prance in the opening of Saturday Night Fever and a chase scene from the French Connection. Fun tour! I still want to return for the Christmas Light tour of Dyker Heights.

Thanks for the tip about Davey's!
A Fodorite took me to Grom's a few years ago and I want to stop by the Big Gay Ice Cream Shop too. Y'all are rich in ice cream offerings.
Old Jun 2nd, 2015, 10:36 AM

Hey thanks for recs.
Old Jun 2nd, 2015, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Grom is an Italian chain that is very good and expensive.

For my money Big Gay is over rated with a limited menu.

Il laboratorio del gelato across the street from Katz's is excellent.

Some other favorites:

Sundaes and Cones on East 10th.

Cones on Bleecker

Yes the names are similar.

On the list to try:

Luca and Basco at the Essex Market, they are supposed to have wonderful ice cream sandwiches.
Old Jun 2nd, 2015, 12:16 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
"For my money Big Gay is over rated with a limited menu."

I'm glad they moved from trucks to stores.

Their truck was on a tour but I missed it when it came to our city. Loved following them for the past few years on Facebook.
http://biggayicecream.com/
Old Jun 4th, 2015, 09:09 PM

bookmarking