Follow Up to Getting My Make-Up Filled Carryon Through Security

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2006, 08:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or, "How I Got To My Destination, Didn't Get Sent To Guantanamo and Managed to Thwart the Terrorists By Looking Beautiful Anyway!"

I did do it... I actually got through security with mascara in my bra. It was a tiny sample tube, about an inch long, 1/4 inch in diameter - no metal that I could see. Fit perfectly under my left breast. I glided through the metal detector with nary a peep.

My purse contained: cake eyeshadow, tube of lipstick, liner pencil, just the wand of my concealer in a baggie, eyedrops and an old compact of rouge with barely enough to use. Not one second was spent on further examination by the officials at my departure point and I put my shoes back on and was on my way.

No one on the plane was injured by my contraband mascara. I made my video shoot and was back at the airport less than two hours after I landed.

On the return, I didn't bother to hide the mascara, just to see what would happen. Sure enough, the nice young TSA gentlemen asked to examine my bag. "Be my guest." He honed in on my makeup bag, and examined each item - EXCEPT FOR THE MASCARA!! He was searching for the wand of concealer and chuckled when he saw what I had done. I told him I thought I couldn't have gotten the whole tube through and he agreed that I couldn't have. Zip, zip, off I went.

I am in no way recommending that anyone do what I did. I was desperate and although I don't for a minute believe that banning mascara and concealer keeps us any safer, I normally play by the rules because I fear the punishment, not because I agree with them. If I had any other choice, I would have checked a bag or bought what I needed on the ground. Neither of those choices were practical for me today.

I'm not sure if it's more trouble than it's worth, but I'd love to petition the TSA to review this ridiculous ban. A liquid should be classified as a substance that would exit the container if it's turned upside down. For instance, "personal lubricant" would pour out of a bottle, but that's OK to bring on board. Lip gloss would not.

So that's my saga and if anyone got needed information out of my misadventures (as opposed to trying to guess what the TSA wants), then it's all good.

Old Sep 19th, 2006, 08:36 PM

I read your thread and was wondering about this myself as I tend to take extended weekend trips which involve just bringing a duffel bag for a carryon and no checked luggage.

Thanks to your post, I will now look into carrying sample sizes and powder & cake makeup instead. The idea of checking in my duffel bag annoys me, as much as I understand the need for such measures.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 05:38 AM

Proving yet again that if the terrorists want to get something on board, there is always a way.

I know you are only trying to slip make-up on and succeeded, tekwriter, but what if it hadn't been only mascara. You essentially went undetected when hiding it on your outbound. Even though it was only a small sample tube, on your flight home when you didn't hide it, it was enough to alert security and they took it away.

I am sorry, and I don't want to offend because I know your intention was not of a mailcious manner in any way, but I find your experience scary.

I mean, doesn't it scare you a bit that you got an item that is considered banned on a flight so easily?
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 05:49 AM

Tiff,
It actually doesn't scare me. I know someone who went through security with a box cutter on a flight to California from New York right after 9/11. He didn't even TRY to conceal it.

Unless they're going to start strip searching every person who goes through, it's impossible for them to enforce any ban they put in place.

That said, I really believe that all the extra security and all the bannings are really just a big show to convince travelers that it really is safe to travel.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 05:55 AM

But that is an example of exactly what I am talking about, there is a possibility they can get anything they want on board. Your friend and tekwriter's experience are the proof.

It's not going to stop me from flying, even though it does cause some concern.

I actually feel more safe with some of the passengers on board. With the last lunatic that tried to get the emergency door open, it was the flight attendant that yelled for help and passengers that brought this guy to the ground as the US Marshall came running up.

There was a time when passengers did not do anything because when hijackers took over a plane it didn't always mean the end for everyone. NOW, they know to fight back, as this is there only chance. Just like in Flight 93.

I would be the one fighting back!
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 06:15 AM

I have a similar problem: I have an upcoming flight where I will not be able to check any luggage. I am particularly concerned about eye ointment I have to use for medical reasons. It is non-prescription, and is not allowed in carryon luggage. This is how I will be handling the situation:

Pharmacies sell pill cases that are large enough to hold small amounts of cream. I bought a 7-day case, and filled several of the compartments with various creams I use, e.g. toothpaste, sunblock, face cream.

A few days before leaving, I'm going to put the eye ointment and pill case into a padded envelope, and mail the envelope to my hotel. This is a lot easier and less expensive than using one of the luggage-shipment companies.

I can understand the rule about larger amounts of liquids, but the TSA has carried this way to far. I see no reason why eye drops are allowed in carryon luggage, but a same-size container of eye ointment is not allowed. Certainly the ointment is no greater danger than the drops. Neither represents any terrorist threat. And even if it did, the rule is very easily circumvented, because a terrorist can easily hide such a tiny container in carryon luggage or (as tekwriter did) in clothing, something I am tempted to do.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 06:26 AM

Oh goody, after they read this thread, I guess we'll all be strip searched! Where's Diana Ross now?
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 06:48 AM

Proof once again that some people think the rules don't apply to them. Some people should stay home and not travel. Hope you get caught next time.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 06:59 AM

What exactly are they doing to people who "get caught bringing lip gloss" onto an aircraft? You just say "oops I didn't know that was in there" and you're on your way?

Old Sep 20th, 2006, 07:05 AM

I'm thinking you might need to seek treatment for your mascara addiction!
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 07:47 AM

Hi--to put it mildly, I think RBCal is way over-reacting. I think it is a stupid prohibition that protects no one!!! However, in your case, the concealing of it would have made it bad if they did catch you. So I suggest that in the future, that you just buy some mascara in the airport upon your arrival. I know it will probably not be of the same quality as your sample contraband, but I would hate to see them haul you in for a pointless interrogation.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 08:33 AM

Boy, I hate flying!!!!!
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 08:41 AM

I have to say that this does not charm me.
I do not find anything good in your managing to smuggle something past security and posting about it. It might have only been mascara but I don't think that is the point. Doing things like this, will only make things harder on travelers when the TSA catches on..
I love my make-up as much or more than some but there is a point when I think I have the confidence and sense to just do what they ask and manage without..or do with something like the mascaras that are used with water & a brush.
I hate to think if I have them feeling around under my bra straps etc now because they found out someone thought it clever to sneak one past them

Old Sep 20th, 2006, 08:52 AM

By your line of reasoning and behavior, if one thinks a rule or law is stupid, they can over-ride it. Or, is it that if you think of a way to outsmart the rule-enforcers, it is OK.

I personally detest the assaults on our freedoms that have been developed over the past 5 years and consider living with a certain amount of risk one of the costs of freedom - but playing games like this solves nothing.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 11:46 AM

Scarlette:
[I hate to think if I have them feeling around under my bra straps etc now because they found out someone thought it clever to sneak one past them.]

That's exactly my point with the Diana Ross comment - didn't she have an 'incident' a few years back claiming just that?!
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 11:59 AM

I would hate for anyone to have to search my bra.. not so much the violation issue, more because I hate to see a grown man cry
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 12:08 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I know you mean your post in a lighthearted way, but I find myself in the camp that doesn't find this terribly funny, I'm afraid.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 12:12 PM

agree with Scarlett!
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 12:33 PM

I just want to state that I checked bags (toothpaste and my lip gloss), but forgot a couple of things that sailed through security; among these were a tube of liquid foundation, a tube of lip gloss, and a corkscrew. Meanwhile, the guy in front of me had to take away his baby's apple juice (in baby bottle with nipple, she was drinking it!)and pour it out. Still feel safe, everyone?
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 12:34 PM

BTW, I never even considered that mascara was on the list, and have flown two roundtrips since the changes with two in my purse--a brown-black and a clear...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -