Search

Flying with kids

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying with kids

We are planning a family vacation to Orlando later this year. I haven't flown in 10 years, so I'm a little rusty on how this works, especially with kids, and post 9/11. Do I need to bring ID's for the kids - like passports or birth certificates? Also, I noticed the FAA says kids over 40 pounds can use the standard airline seatbelt, but AAA recommends that kids 40-80 pounds ride in a booster seat in a car. What's the difference? Why don't they recommend a booster seat on a plane? If I bring booster seats will they be allowed on the plane? Also, do you have any helpful tips? The kids are 4 and 7. Thanks!
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 01:18 PM

The kids don't need ID's unless you leave the US. Can't help on car seat/booster problem.
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 01:24 PM

We haven't needed IDs of any sort to travel domestically with our small kids. I don't know if the rules are different if you fly internationally. We have found that with our toddlers we liked having them in the car seat, ie, the plane is like a car and you must stay seated. However for older kids (around age 3 and up) like yours we have found that it's not necessary and actually more uncomfortable for them. (They can curl up and go to sleep if they have more room--a booster gets in the way.) We've gate checked our boosters so that upon arrival they haven't been lost and we can get in our rental car and go. If you are not driving at all upon your destination outside of buses or other group transport to hotel, etc. I wouldn't even bring them and leave them in your car at the airport. IF you do decide to travel with their boosters, and you use the big backed ones, do yourself a favor and buy the tiny boosters without the back so you can tote them more easily.

Have each child bring a backpack of their special things that they can tote themselves, but have some surprises packed for them (food treats, special little toys to keep them busy). I'd recommend chewy candy and gum for the ear popping (altitude adjustment can be painful). A portable DVD player might be the best "toy" you can bring to keep 'em busy on the way!

We've done quite a bit of traveling both on planes and road trips with our kids (now aged 1 and 5) so let me know if you have any other questions!
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 01:35 PM

You won't need IDs for the kids (only for international travel). As far as the booster seat question, we've used them and gone without them. When our oldest was 3, we had him use a booster on the way to Disney, but it was the kind with the back and he seemed rather uncomfortable. He was over 40 lbs., so we checked the seat on the way home. Last trip, the boys were 6 and 4. The both went without boosters. By then, we had the backless kind (so much easier to carry around), so we brought them with and checked them so we wouldn't have to pay $20/day to rent the seats from the rental car company! They will definitely allow you to use boosters on the plane and we considered bringing one on for our 4-year-old (our older son is very big for his age), but with three kids, a stroller, a car seat for our 18-month-old, our carry-ons...we just didn't need one more thing to carry! They seemed very secure with just the lapbelt, and I think it would have done the job had we encountered any turbulence.

I always pack each child their own backpack to carry on the plane and be responsible for. I include bottled water and favorite snacks. I usually buy them some new books, activity or coloring books, a new handheld electronic toy (this year it will be a new gameboy game), and maybe some other trinkets (nothing messy, like playdough, or loud, so as not to annoy others). We also bring a CD player and some new books on CD with the accompanying read-along book. We also have a portable DVD player.

So, basically, we end up having way more than they need and they end up not even looking at about half of it. They spend half their time getting settle, looking around, ordering drinks... But at least I know that they won't get bored and restless, especially if something unexpected happens and we get stuck sitting for 2 hours on a runway or something. Oh, and bring gum. My kids ears always bother them, so they start chewing as soon as we start to taxi.

Have a great trip. What month are you going? We'll be down there ourselves in early December. Have fun!
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 01:39 PM

Wow noryglory...I was writing while you were posting. Looks like we were thinking along the same lines. Great minds...
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 01:50 PM

Yeah! Too funny, klw!! Guess we know what we are doing, huh? Nice validation that our tips are decent!!
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 05:09 PM

Bring food - not just snacks, but real food. Airlines do not feed you anymore.

Also bring all sorts of treat snacks for kids, especially those not usually offered at home. Nothing like a soda at 8 AM to make a kid so surprised than they are happy for quite a while.

Remember that you will also need to bring food on return trip - logistics of that can be somewhat more difficult.
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 05:24 PM

no IDs needed for kids under 18.

as for the difference in the seats for an airplane and car--up to 40 pounds, usually until age 4 or 5, a kid should be in a 5 point harness. i consider this for both a car and plane. after that point, they still need a booster seat in the car for the shoulder strap. they aren't tall enough for the shoulder strap to be effective if they aren't in a booster. airplanes don't have shoulder straps so you don't need the booster seat on one.

if you do bring the carseat onto the plane, make sure it says on it that it is safe to use on an airplane. we were just down in florida and they checked both ways (our kids are 2 and 3 so they sat in their carseats).

go to the dollar store or other type toy store and buy some fun little games/treats that they can use on the plane. silly putty was a life saver for us and i grabbed some on a whim before we left.

also, as others said, plan out your meals since you won't get any on the plane. and have something to drink as you start to descend to help with your 4 yo's ears.

have fun!
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! We have low-backed boosters so we will bring them. Thanks for the other suggestions too. We are going to DisneyWorld in October. Our first family trip on a plane - YAY!
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 10:59 AM

The other posters have given you great tips for traveling with the kids. Since you are headed to WDW, I'll just suggest that you take a peak at www.disboards.com and allearsnet.com. Great info on all things Disney.
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 11:16 AM

The biggest hassle is going through security. Just make sure they wear easy to remove shoes and easy carryons. Mostly, they don't ask the kids to remove the shoes but once in a while you do get that one security person who will ask everyone to do it. Yours are small enough, they might not bother with them. IF you have a stroller make sure it's easy to fold and explain to your kids that they have to walk through the security gate by themselves and then mommy will catch up. This way, they are not suddenly afraid.

By now, my kids know the drill and they have shoes off, jackets off and backpacks in the containers by the time we get to the security table.
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 11:26 AM

Ditto the advice you've been given, particularly regarding FOOD. Airline travel being what it is, I always pack a meal for my kids, along with snacks.

One thing to add: I get my kids child sized "Earplanes". These are ear plugs you can purchase at larger pharmacies. They differ from standard earplugs in that they are meant to stabilize ear pressure. My kid put them in 30 minutes before landing and you leave them in until the cabin door is opened. Work great! My little guy has always had ear troubles while flying.

Old Jun 16th, 2005, 06:03 PM

When my kids were younger, we'd bring juice boxes to drink on take-off and landing. The swallowing helped with ear discomfort. Also, while I don't recommend haphazardly taking medications, our doctor recommended taking a decongestant the night before travel and then again about an hour before travelling (again, for ears). It worked quite well and the kids and I continue to do this whenever we fly.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 05:46 AM

WHen my kids were younger, I'd usually buy a few little things for them and give it to them when we arrived at the airport. Usually a book, or some kind of game or activity to keep them busy. Maybe a treat. I'd also have them pack a few things (books, drawing supplies, cards, gameboy). For some reason when I gave them there little goodies at the last minute, it made them that much better. Now they are teens, and I treat them each to a magazine when we arrive at the airport. That seems to work for them now.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 05:58 AM

Great advice from a bunch of veterans. My advice is to get to the airport early to avoid undue stress.

I always wear flip flops or quickly removable pull on shoes, no belt, and put my watch in my purse. That may be overkill but I don't want to deal with the time consuming full search if I set off the alarm.

I have repeatedly seen men refuse to take off their athletic shoes, telling the guard that the soles are rubber, no metal, only to see the thick soles set off the alarm.

Except for rake off and landing you can watch portable DVD players so if you have one you might want to bring it for the flight.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 06:20 AM
sam

We just got back and I didn't take the advice of the car rental agent when she said that when we return the car to go home, make sure you're at the airport 1-1/2 to 2 hours in advance because the security lines are long. Well, we got a late start and boy was she right! If the plane was on-time, we would have missed the flight, trying to get 3 children and 2 adults through security. It's not that they put you through alot, but the line was really long (6:30-7am).
I would definitely NOT bring booster seats, way too much to carry and the above posters hit the nail on the head with their recommendations. We did the same, having the kids each bring a backpack filled with games, snacks, drinks and gum. We flew SONG and each seat has it's own entertainment. Free TV (Cartoon Channel or Nickelodeon is a lifesaver!), interactive trivia, music, and then you can pay to upgrade for movies or other video games. They also have free beverages and a menu for $ food.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 07:10 AM

I just travelled with my son. One thing that made me less anxious (and which unfortunately I didn't come up with until the last two legs on the way home!) was to sit in two rows instead of across. My sister and her husband sat in the row in front of us, so if my son bumped the seat, or grabbed it to move out of the row, I didn't have to worry too much about annoying a stranger. It might work if you are travelling with your husband. I didn't bring a booster seat and he was more comfortable able to stretch out when he took a nap. Song was great, not just for him, but for us. Gate check your stroller if you bring one...some airports are so huge and they are handy to hang things on the handle. Car rental agency charged us $8/day (hertz) for a car seat and it was in great, clean condition. More than a backpack, my son loved a little kiddie roller bag. Those squishy pillows are comfortable for sleeping, sitting on to get a better view, playing with and he loved it.