Reload this Page >

Flying to NY, where next?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 02:25 PM
cara

My firends and I are flying to NY and intend to spend 3 and half months in USA. We will have working/holiday visas. We cannot decide where to stay. We were thinking Long Island, would this be the right choice or is there somewhere better to go? Need help deciding have no idea where to go!!

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 05:15 PM
rqf

You might be putting the cart before the horse. I would find out where jobs are available and then start looking for a place to stay. Transportation from where you wind up living to where you will be working is an important consideration.
For example, if you do decide to stay on Long Island you better be certain there is convenient affordable public transportation to get to the workplace.

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 10:02 PM
annK

Cara, it seems to me that your trip is not very well planned out. It will be difficult to get a job here with out a green card. Most employers can not hire now unless you have a green card, which allows you to work in the US.

I would not suggest just getting here without a plan and a place to stay. You would run out of money pretty quickly.

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 05:34 AM
steve

it probably isn't too tough to find a waitress job in new york city. you also might be able to find a summer sublet in a less expensive area of the city like the very east village, or transitional neighborhoods in brooklyn, or in queens. i have had friends from australia who have done what you plan to do, and it can be done, even though it's not as organized and planned as most people reading this board would ever consider. it would be very helpful if you have a friend here to advise and if you have street smarts.

hope it all works out

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 05:56 AM
Ann

Many of the above posters are simply wrong. I've had many friends from Ireland and the U.K. do what you're doing.

The best places to go are the beach areas. I'm not very familiar with the beaches on Long Island, so maybe someone else can give you more information.

The two best spots would be Wildwood, New Jersey, Ocean City, Maryland (I think there's also an Ocean City, New Jersey), where there will be a lot of young, foreign visitors/workers like yourself. You'll have no problem getting a job. Just walk around the boardwalk, and inquire at various businesses. Particularly since you have a work visa, you'll be able to get a job. Also, ask at these places if they know of anywhere to stay. The foreign workers typically live in large numbers in apartments or houses. It won't be the best accommodation, but you're just going to be looking for somewhere to sleep and shower.

Good luck, and I know you'll have a great summer.

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 09:41 AM
jen

Cara,
Ann is correct; you do not need a green card to get a summer job. A work visa is sufficient.
I have had several cousins come over from Ireland to work for the summer. They have all found work (and living accommodations)in Wildwood,NJ. I can't tell you much about it because I've never been there.