Flyfishing Seattle?

Old Feb 11th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flyfishing Seattle?

I did a simple google search for guided fly fishing tours in Seattle and the results were way out of my price range.

I'm looking for a half-day guide that includes all gear and license. I've never been to Seattle and will be there the first part of May. I am open to going anywhere within 1-2 hours drive of downtown Seattle.

Any suggestions?
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 12:40 PM

So....what is "within" your price range. I know that here in Colorado a private half day guide with full gear and license cannot be had for less than $200 and I imagine the cost may be even more in someplace like the Seattle area.

Try asking your question on the forums of independent flyfishing websites like flyfisherman.com
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 12:41 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I haven't done that much fly fishing hereabouts, but my strong impression is that May is not an especially good time for it in the Puget Sound drainage. The central WA river systems (Yakima in particular) are considerably more than 2 hrs travel, and even they, as with all the rivers west of the mountains, will be quite high with spring runoff in May, full of silt and running fast - hardly ideal for fly fishers.

There will probably be some bank or wellie boot fly fishing on estuaries leading into Puget Sound for sea-run trout returning, but it won't be easy as conditions will be crummy there too.

Sorry I can't help more...
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

I may just have to do some mountain biking or hiking instead, if it's not a good time of year to go fishing. Four summers ago, I took a guided tour in Crested Butte, CO for around $200 and had a blast. Like I said, I've never been to Seattle and assumed that it would be good for flyfishing and have no idea what I'm getting into. The only time I've ever flyfished was the trip in CO.

I was hoping to find something around $200, but the prices I've been finding have been $350-$400. I am guessing that I can find cheaper places and that the marketers have hooked me with SEO google results for the more expensive tours.

If it is not a good time of year to go, then I don't want to waste the money.

Thanks for your insight!
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 02:15 PM

If charter fishing on the ocean or Puget Sound sounds equally intriguing to you, check into that. Western WA is not famous for its fly fishing. The only fly fisherman I know makes trips to Montanta instead. But, there are a lot of companies that will take you out on a salmon (or other fish, depending on the time of year) boat.
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 02:46 PM

The Skykomish River is great for fly fishing. When we lived in the area, that is where DH and DS went. Also look at the Icicle River (around Leavenworth). The Skykomish is closer though.

I don't know about guides, but they might have some listed at www.leavenworth.org.