Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Fly or Drive to New Mexico from Indiana?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I was wondering what people's opinions or advice would be on the following issue. My girl friends and I are going to New Mexico to stay with another friend who just moved there with her spouse. One of the girls is driving from Indiana to New Mexico with another girl and asked if I wanted to drive with them.

So being that it would take a few days to get there, she stated that they had some places along the way they wanted to stop and see, like the Oklahoma City bomb site, Amarillo, TX, some cowboy museum, etc. Hotel rooms would be rented along the way so we would not be driving at night.

I would like to know if this is as good as it sounds, taking in scenery and stopping along the way, etc., or if flying would be my best bet. I can handle long trips pretty well but this would be the longest ever. I guess I would like to know if it would be worth it from those who have traveled more than I have! One of the girls I know very well and the other not so well. Driving with them would be cheaper but would I be going out of my mind by the time we arrive in NM?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 01:04 PM

If time isn't an issue I prefer driving as oppose to hanging around airports. You can plot out a different route back to catch some other sights and do a little surfing on the web you may find something they missed.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 02:44 PM

That's a pretty long drive. Given you're stopping a fair amount, let's say it takes at three nights, and you spend $150 for your share of the three hotels, plus your share of the gas, eating out those days on the road, I doubt you come out much ahead money wise.

So I would look on this website under "destinations" on that orange toolbar, and see if they appeal. It sounds like you won't have a lot of say in where you're going.

It also depends on your personality. For me, the time in New Mexico would be enough "together time" with most friends. But that's me.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 03:14 PM

We've driven from Chicago to Albuquerque a few times. The scenery was new on the way there for the first time, so that even the flat scrubby plains of Kansas weren't so bad. However, I hate the drive back, especially if you haven't allowed the same leisure you did on the way there. Interstates are usually easy but boring driving.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice - definitely some good things to think about! It will be easier to make my decision now. Great feedback, thanks!