Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Fly into Oakland or San Jose for Yosemite?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 06:43 AM
lisa

If the ultimate destination is Yosemite, and one has a choice of flying into either Oakland or San Jose (the airfare is the same price either way), which is closer/better/faster for driving to Yosemite?

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 08:46 AM
xxx

I think Sacramento might be an even better bet - check it out as an option.

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 09:10 AM
lisa

Unfortunately Sacramento isn't among the sale fares I'm looking at at the moment -- only San Jose and Oakland.

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 10:26 AM
Caitlin

I don't think it makes much difference , but I'd only use San Jose *if* you're not interested in spending any time in SF. If you do plan to go to SF on either end of your trip, Oakland is much, much more convenient, so much so that it outways the relatively small difference in driving time between Oakland-Yosemite and SJ-Yosemite. Either way, expect 4-4 1/2 hours driving time not counting stops. You won't really be taking a different route from one or the other, just using different highways to connect to Rte 120, which takes you to Yosemite.

Old Feb 8th, 2001, 02:19 PM
Helpful

Lisa, hope your trip is planned for the summer months.
Highway 120 (also known as Tioga Pass) is closed every year for winter/early Spring months due to snow.