florida to minnesota road trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2004, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be driving from Tampa, Florida, to Minneapolis, Minnesota in a couple of weeks with 3 children (ages 12 and 7). Any suggestions for things to see/do along the way. We're planning on a leisurely drive.

Lorie
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 05:31 AM

St Louis - The Arch is a must! Lots of other stuff there too if you want to spend a few days...the zoo, Grant's Farm etc.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 03:11 PM
E

ttt, b/c I plan to do this drive next summer, only in reverse!
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 06:26 PM

Ditto the arch. My kids loved it. There also is a 6 flags in St. Louis with a real kid friendly water park. A few years ago, we went from here in Asheville to St louis and on to Minneapolis. I don't recall much of anything to do after St Louis until we got into Wisconsin. We didn't stop, but there were some billboards that advertised things that seemed like they would be fun.(but I don't remember what they are, lol) I'm sure there were other things that we missed, but Minneapolis was next on our agenda. My kids enjoyed the Mall of America in Minneapolis and the zoo there. There also is a big amusement park there that we didn't go to. We stayed at the Hyatt in the city. It's a beautiful city with a lot of really nice people. I really enjoyed it. Have fun !
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips so far. The kids are having a blast researching things to see and do in the various states we might travel through. Our route is still undecided (probably different each way). They have been particularly interested in seeing Kentucky and Tennessee (friends have been there) and also Mt. Rushmore (WAY out of the way).

Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 06:43 PM

The park they are talking about is Valley Fair, it is a really fun park, it is spendy to get in, but they have great rides...of course the MOA is a BIG thing to do here, you'll enjoy it. There are actually two zoo's, Como Zoo, which they ask for $1.00 donation for adults and .50 donation for kids is a smaller park, but fun to stop and visit, then there is the MN Zoo, which costs a bit more to get in, but has WAY more animals.

Sure hope you have a great trip, and try to see some of the "lakes", Minneapolis has many beautiful lakes to enjoy!!!
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 08:00 PM

If you head up on the diagonal, you'd probably pass through Atlanta (not a city I know much about), Chattanooga (the Lookout Mt, Rock City type places), Nashville (music), then into Kentucky. Western KY is pretty, but I can't think of much in the way of attractions, other than lakes and woods. Likewise S. Illinois. I hope on both counts someone chimes in and has a better answer than I do.

If you head west instead, there's Memphis, where I live now (Graceland, blues, Beale St - but none of those seem kid oriented). Memphis also has a cool little zoo, with one of the few pairs of Giant Pandas in the US.

St. Louis is my hometown though. So I know of tons of things to do there. The Zoo (rated #1 zoo or close to it by many - free entry). Science Center is really great (free entry) as is the kid-oriented City Museum (very interactive kid experience. Even the adults love climbing through the artificial forests and slides.) The Arch of course. Jesse James hideout at Meramac Caverns just about 60 miles southwest. Good cave with lots of formations.

Heading north, Springfield has the Lincoln sites. Maybe a little dry for younger ones but who knows. And well, there IS Chicago before you get to Wisconsin. I bet there's some things to do there!
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 04:08 AM
Original Poster

We will be going on past Minneapolis. We'll be staying with friends in Pequot Lakes for several days. I know the 12 yr olds (girls) would like to see the mall of america - hate to waste a day there but....

They all want to go to the Kentucky Horse Park (I think it's called) in Lexington, Mammoth Cave, the corvette factory in Bowling Green, and a place that I think is called Cades Cove in TN in the mountains.

All the great things in St. Louis may have to wait until another trip where we will include more western states on the route. I think we'll run out of time if we go that far west and then back east to KY and TN.

Thanks for all of your suggestions so far! The trip is starting to fall into place.